If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jun 6, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #13,486 of 19,251
with the new ER4 with the detachable cable, is it just me or are the materials used more prone to wear and tear on the cable itself? the points where the cable connector and the braided cable meet, as well as where the splitter cable seem to get the most wear and tear. in fact trying to replace this cable, the cable connector practically disintegrated as I was attempting to separate the connector from the body. anyone else experiencing this? any workarounds to keeping these longer?

Jun 6, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #13,487 of 19,251
If one is new to Etymotic sound completely, and ER4's aren't an option, I would try for the ER3's. The ER2's dynamic driver, to me, is far away from the quick, clean, and precise signature that Etymotic is known for. They are experimental and fun IEMs, but don't hold a candle to the ER4 series in my opinion. I have both 2XR and 4XR, and choose the 4XR every time.

I ordered a pair of 2XR coming tomorrow. I've recently realized I really like bass a lot more than I thought. I was worried (and backed up by some people here) that I'd find even the 4XR anemic and "boring" when it comes to bass response. Etys are known for their analytic and neutral quality, which can be great, but I wanted some fun and "oomph." If I really like them but want something more airy and fast, maybe I'll grab a pair of 4XR to try, also.

Jun 6, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #13,488 of 19,251
After all these years I just cannot get out of the old er4s/p sound. I've tried the er2se and the er3se and am considering getting one for outdoors but neither quite hits the sonic spot for me. As it's been said already in the thread, the treble is just different enough that I still gravitate towards the old er4s the most. The er4sr is great but its sound is still closer to the er3se than the er4s, and I find its cable less friendly than the one found in er3 and er2. Moreover if you're price conscious, you could almost buy the er4s and the er2se/xr for the price of one er4sr.

The er2se especially share some similarities with other IEMs, for instance some of Shures I've used in the past. That isn't necessarily bad as many find the Etys far too bright. Overall it still has the signature flat Ety sound overall but the treble is just different enough that I still can't decide if I want it or not. The er3se is a conundrum. Sometimes I feel it's rather similar to the er2se but there are times I think it sounds noticeably different. I've tried it with the S-P cable but the treble still isn't quite the same.

It's tough because the old cable is a pain to use outside and I'd much rather use the er3se or the er2se outside. But there are just enough times that I want that sweet old er4s sound. However if I get used to the newer sound, perhaps I'll change my mind.

Having said all that for those who find the older er4 too grating, the newer models would be perfect. They are all close enough that how the sound works with individual fit is still the most important factor over anything else.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #13,489 of 19,251
After all these years I just cannot get out of the old er4s/p sound...

You are not the only one. I still listen to ER4S more than I do with ER4SR.

Jun 7, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #13,490 of 19,251
I can't speak for the ER4SR version, but I have ER2XR and ER4XR (like you, ER2 for traveling), and based on what you're looking for I would go with the ER2SE version. Others have said also that because of the dynamic driver the ER2 (both of them) have a bit more low-end. The ER2XR has lots of bass, almost too much, and lacks the clarity and 'sparkle' in the highs that I love in the ER4XR. If you were to get the ER2XR I think you would be disappointed in the clarity that you love about the ER4SR.

"maybe the ER2SE packs a tiny bit more bass than the ER4SR without sacrificing too much of the clarity for example?"

This here I would agree with. I would go for the ER2SE.

Either Er3se or er2se would be a good fit for you. If u like the er4sr, the Er3se sounds nearly as good as the er4 series.

Looks like I will be going for the ER2SE or maybe even the ER3SE depending on what drops first. Thanks!

Jun 7, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #13,491 of 19,251
Got my ER2XR today and love them. They're on the warmer side and have a good quantity of bass. My fears of them being anemic, boring or sterile were totally unfounded. It's possible if/when I hear the 4XR I'll yearn for more clarity or treble but I'm quite pleased with these for $130. The fit is good with the standard tri-flange tips (they came with "standard" and "large" tri-flange..I guess you can request a size "small" or maybe the standard is the small?) but my ear canals do kind of get the need to "breathe" and I'm hoping I'll get over that.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #13,492 of 19,251
Got my ER2XR today and love them. They're on the warmer side and have a good quantity of bass. My fears of them being anemic, boring or sterile were totally unfounded. It's possible if/when I hear the 4XR I'll yearn for more clarity or treble but I'm quite pleased with these for $130. The fit is good with the standard tri-flange tips (they came with "standard" and "large" tri-flange..I guess you can request a size "small" or maybe the standard is the small?) but my ear canals do kind of get the need to "breathe" and I'm hoping I'll get over that.

it used to be standard and small but the same tri-flanges have became large and standard. There is no small anymore - but for those who find even the new standard tri-flanges to be too large, you can cut of the last flange from the large tri-flanges and make a bi-flanges out of it.

Jun 8, 2019 at 3:27 AM Post #13,493 of 19,251
it used to be standard and small but the same tri-flanges have became large and standard. There is no small anymore - but for those who find even the new standard tri-flanges to be too large, you can cut of the last flange from the large tri-flanges and make a bi-flanges out of it.
Uh, not sure if I get it right. Are you saying ER38-15SM size was altered to large fit?

Jun 8, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #13,495 of 19,251
Uh, not sure if I get it right. Are you saying ER38-15SM size was altered to large fit?

No, I am saying what used to be referred as small (ER38-15SM) is now referred as standard, what used to be referred as standard (ER38-18) now is being referred as large. In short, the actual eartips themselves have not changed but their name have.

Screenshot_20190608-155142.jpg

Jun 8, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #13,496 of 19,251
Any tips (advice) if one of my canals feels itchy a large amount of the time? Right ear is fine but left ear often feels like I gotta pull the earphone out to scratch. Maybe a smoother silicone tri-flange? Anyone know of good ones?

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #13,497 of 19,251
Any tips (advice) if one of my canals feels itchy a large amount of the time? Right ear is fine but left ear often feels like I gotta pull the earphone out to scratch. Maybe a smoother silicone tri-flange? Anyone know of good ones?

First, check if the eartips has any uneven spot or not. Second, ask someone to check if your ear canal has any redness / skin irritation of any kind. Lastly, you can try putting a tiny bit of 'Eargene'.on the eartips before inserting..

Jun 8, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #13,498 of 19,251
Jun 8, 2019 at 10:15 PM Post #13,499 of 19,251

Comfort is really a very personal thing so you have to try it to know. Note that the Shure yellow foam might to a bit too short, getting the nozzle too close to ear canal means it might get clogged more easily so you will want to clear it regularly. Alternatively Shure black foam used to be popular among ER4 user awhile back. If you want to use foam but avoid potential earwax issue, better stick to either Etymotic stock foam or Comply long foam (P?) - Comply will be super comfortable but doesn't last very long. Also, you want silicone eartips to be almost the same length as tri-flanges as that will help to keep the Ety sound as intact as possible.

Jun 8, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #13,500 of 19,251
First, check if the eartips has any uneven spot or not. Second, ask someone to check if your ear canal has any redness / skin irritation of any kind. Lastly, you can try putting a tiny bit of 'Eargene'.on the eartips before inserting..

Can Eargene be used in the ear? The description specifically says outer ear. My mom's an audiologist, should probably just ask her, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back