If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Oct 31, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #12,331 of 19,246
What's the cheapest replacement option for a frayed ER4P/S cable?

Etymotic charges $50 + $9 shipping

Cheapest one I see on ebay is $48

Alternative option is to buy the MMCX rehousing or adapter for $10 and a cheap MMCX cable for $10. Could I just use the P to S cable and use it at 73Ohms?

I have a pair of ER3XR, and really wanted a cable with a mic/remote. Sadly, the etymotic IEMs have a special tab and extended female butt on the mmcx connection. I tried trimming the plastic collar of the male end off an mmcx cable, but I over trimmed and the connection isn't as secure to the IEM. $20 experiment on a Chinese cable so worth it to learn.

Your best bet is to buy any cable you like, a set of etymotic connectors off eBay, and solder/assemble your own etymotic connectors off your choosing. $10 for the special etymotic connectors, $12 on a soldering kit, and the cable of your choice gets you exactly what you want for the same price or less than the lower quality branded etymotic replacement.

Oct 31, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #12,332 of 19,246
I have a pair of ER3XR, and really wanted a cable with a mic/remote. Sadly, the etymotic IEMs have a special tab and extended female butt on the mmcx connection. I tried trimming the plastic collar of the male end off an mmcx cable, but I over trimmed and the connection isn't as secure to the IEM. $20 experiment on a Chinese cable so worth it to learn.

Your best bet is to buy any cable you like, a set of etymotic connectors off eBay, and solder/assemble your own etymotic connectors off your choosing. $10 for the special etymotic connectors, $12 on a soldering kit, and the cable of your choice gets you exactly what you want for the same price or less than the lower quality branded etymotic replacement.

Does this apply to the ER4XR as well?

Oct 31, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #12,333 of 19,246
Does this apply to the ER4XR as well?
Yes. The ER3 and ER4 use the same specialized mmcx connection. If you look up replacement cable pics, there's a tiny tab on the plastic collar of the male cable. The female end of the IEM will have a matching indent the male tab locks into. It's actually a good design, because it prevents twisting that wears out the mmcx connection. And they mate flush so there's no wiggle or flex between the two.

Oct 31, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #12,334 of 19,246
Made this with FiiO's cable:

10166493.jpg

Nov 1, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #12,335 of 19,246
Recently, I traded a friend SE215 for a HF5. I absolutely love the HF5, I just instantly clicked with the signature. It doesn't have the dynamic headroom of my open backs like the HD800 / HD540, but it just nails realism for me.

It sounds like the ER4SR adds a bit more dimension and polish to the sound. So, I have ER4SR on the way! I

One of my tests for headphones is to try binaural recordings. I have yet to hear a better headphone or IEM that can reproduce binaural field recordings as well as the Etymotic signature. I'm using www.naturespace.org as a reference.. highly recommend Etymotic fans check out their app.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #12,337 of 19,246
Can anyone post pics of their ER4SR/XR's MMCX cable connectors? I'm about to purchase a shorter, replacement cable for my arriving ER4SR but I don't wish to end up with the wrong set of MMCX cables. I've read some of the older posts to look for a type2 cable when purchasing off Lunashops. However, I'll be purchasing these Lunashops cables from what looks to be a reseller on Aliexpress (they have a better deal). I think it'll be quite helpful if I could forward a pic of 4SR/XR's mmcx connectors to the reseller to verify that i'm getting the non-rotating cables, just in case if they do not understand the difference between type2 and normal mmcx connectors. Appreciate any help rendered!

Nov 6, 2018 at 2:56 AM Post #12,338 of 19,246
Can anyone post pics of their ER4SR/XR's MMCX cable connectors? I'm about to purchase a shorter, replacement cable for my arriving ER4SR but I don't wish to end up with the wrong set of MMCX cables. I've read some of the older posts to look for a type2 cable when purchasing off Lunashops. However, I'll be purchasing these Lunashops cables from what looks to be a reseller on Aliexpress (they have a better deal). I think it'll be quite helpful if I could forward a pic of 4SR/XR's mmcx connectors to the reseller to verify that i'm getting the non-rotating cables, just in case if they do not understand the difference between type2 and normal mmcx connectors. Appreciate any help rendered!

How about you give us the link to Aliexpress and we can tell you if it is the right one or not.

Nov 6, 2018 at 4:43 AM Post #12,340 of 19,246
Where can i order the angeld convertes from mmcx to etymotic mmcx? My plan is to get a balanced 2,5mm mmcx cable and use the converter to conntect it to my ER3. This will work, right?

Nov 6, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #12,341 of 19,246
Thanks for your help, much appreciated! This is the link right here.

That's the wrong one, this is the right one: here.

Where can i order the angeld convertes from mmcx to etymotic mmcx? My plan is to get a balanced 2,5mm mmcx cable and use the converter to conntect it to my ER3. This will work, right?

You mean something like those in the middle of the picture?

10179768.jpg

I have not seen anyone selling them. I made these myself.

p/s: here is a close-up

DSC_0128.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #12,342 of 19,246
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! Hope this information would be useful to those looking for Ety cables out there.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #12,343 of 19,246

You mean something like those in the middle of the picture?

10179768.jpg

I have not seen anyone selling them. I made these myself.

p/s: here is a close-up

Wow nice work!! I thought they were factory made!
Do you glue a female mmcx at the bottom or how do you do it? Ofc the soldering but that's the easy part...

Nov 6, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #12,344 of 19,246
Wow nice work!! I thought they were factory made!
Do you glue a female mmcx at the bottom or how do you do it? Ofc the soldering but that's the easy part...

The transparent right angled Ety connector can be bought on places like eBay, Taobao, etc The screw type mmcx socket can also be found on most of those places. The connector's opening has to be widen by sanding so the mmcx socket can fit inside, then I solder in the Estron cable (*same kind that most companies used to connect BA driver inside the IEM housing) to connect them together. Lastly the cavity is filled with UV glue and cured under UV light to completely sealed everything to a solid (hence the use of transparent connector), making sure that it will not comie apart in the future.

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #12,345 of 19,246
i just plugged in the ER4S on the lehmann audio linear desctop reference amp and immediately the soundstage was improved and the sound was more airy and tight, i really like the combo but the amp is for sale
i am just wondering is it a overkill for that earphone and is it worth it to keep it only for them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back