If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Oct 19, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #12,301 of 19,246
Just purchased the ER3XR from Massdrop waiting for delivery in Nov. How do they perform on smartphones (Galaxy S9+) as i will be using it mainly on my commutes
I imagine you'll be happy with it from the phone, but if you're not, the inexpensive and minimal VE Odyssey drives my ER4-SR absolutely beautifully, and will plug into the USB-C jack on that phone.

Oct 19, 2018 at 6:01 AM Post #12,302 of 19,246
I imagine you'll be happy with it from the phone, but if you're not, the inexpensive and minimal VE Odyssey drives my ER4-SR absolutely beautifully, and will plug into the USB-C jack on that phone.

My phone has a 3.5mm Jack so I'm all set! I also have a FiiO A3 amp, you think I'll need that for daily use?

Oct 19, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #12,303 of 19,246
I expect the 3.5mm jack on a premium phone like that will be fine. I only meant to suggest that if you weren't satisfied, that VE device (smaller and lighter than the FiiO amp) does a nice job on my SR and might be worth a try with the XR if you were so inclined.

Oct 19, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #12,304 of 19,246
Just purchased the ER3XR from Massdrop waiting for delivery in Nov. How do they perform on smartphones (Galaxy S9+) as i will be using it mainly on my commutes

Sounds alright but imo, my ER4 scaled with better DAPs/amps and power (subjective!). Going from iPhone X -> N5ii (SE) -> N5ii (balanced) -> Mojo.

Sounds just alright/passable with the iPhone X.

If you can afford it, Chord Mojo + ER4 sounds really nice.

Oct 19, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #12,305 of 19,246
I guess I'll wait till I get it and rest it out with my phone and compare it to my se535. Can't wait to see how my ears fair with the deep insertion.

I also have a FiiO x3 gen 1 if my phone doesn't cut it

Oct 19, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #12,306 of 19,246
Are ER4XR much better than Final Audio E5000 for casual listening?

E5000 is much better for casual listening, there's no arguing there. ER4XR are not as comfortable, they need to be inserted slowly, and taken out slowly, and the sound is downright fatiguing and forward / aggressive, with not enough bass, not enough treble, and with a midrange that's very forward.

By comparison, E5000 is much much smoother all-around, much more comfortable, has a LOT more bass, more sparkle in the treble, and they sound more even through and through.

Oct 19, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #12,307 of 19,246
E5000 is much better for casual listening, there's no arguing there. ER4XR are not as comfortable, they need to be inserted slowly, and taken out slowly, and the sound is downright fatiguing and forward / aggressive, with not enough bass, not enough treble, and with a midrange that's very forward.

By comparison, E5000 is much much smoother all-around, much more comfortable, has a LOT more bass, more sparkle in the treble, and they sound more even through and through.

the Etys are some of my fastest iems to put on and off, although i did use Final Audio E tips on them (previously i used double flanges on them)

Oct 19, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #12,308 of 19,246

Thx, any else i should look for in the same price range or i should go for the Final E5000?

Oct 19, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #12,309 of 19,246
the Etys are some of my fastest iems to put on and off, although i did use Final Audio E tips on them (previously i used double flanges on them)

I would not advice anyone to even try to put them in and out fast, I had a friend who had hours of pain because he did this, any IEM that is not vented nor has any kind of ventilation, so most all-BA designs, should always be handled with care, for the sake of the eardrum

I do think that nothing is quite as revealing as ER4XR in the midrange though, especially nothing at this price point, so I won't undermine it in any way :)

Thx, any else i should look for in the same price range or i should go for the Final E5000?

There's lots that can do well for casual listening, E5000, FiiO FH5, iBasso IT-04, IE800, HIFIMAN RE800, etc :)

Oct 19, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #12,310 of 19,246
I would not advice anyone to even try to put them in and out fast, I had a friend who had hours of pain because he did this, any IEM that is not vented nor has any kind of ventilation, so most all-BA designs, should always be handled with care, for the sake of the eardrum

i don't and never pull it out fast without breaking the vacuum. it's easy if you can move your muscles around your ears (kind of like raisng your eyebrows, you can feel your ears also move up and back a bit). if the person cannot do this, then yes, i agree, never try to use the etys quickly.

besides, with the eartips I'm using, i don't need the really deep and almost "screwing deep into your ears" triple flanges :k701smile:
in fact, i even csnnot use the triple flanges at all because the way my ear canals bent. had i not found those bi flange or the final audio E tips, i wouldn't be able to use the Etys

Oct 19, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #12,311 of 19,246
ER4s are definitely more detailed, forward and fatiguing.

E5000 feels like everything is smoothed around the edges and sprinkled with some warm and soft bass to make you feel comfortable.

I have both and I like ER4SR in the morning on the subway and E5000 late at night lounging.

Both are very coherent and enjoyable in their own way though.

Oct 20, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #12,312 of 19,246
Built this for another member, 4.4mm balanced plug.

DSC_0129-922x518.JPG

Oct 21, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #12,313 of 19,246
Haven`t visited this site in erm... a long time but great to see this thread is still going!!

Oct 24, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #12,315 of 19,246
Fell off this thread some time ago... but taking stock of my Ety collection this evening, it struck me that I never had a family photo of all of them. So I had to remedy that and I thought I'd share the result with y'all.

IMG_3511.JPG

Clockwise from top left: ER4B (via cable built by ClieOS), ER4S, ER4P, ER4XR, ER4SR.

I guess I still love ER4...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back