If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Oct 12, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #12,287 of 19,243
i decided to sell my HE500 and keep ER4S instead for desktop use
am i crazy?
probably

if you like the ER4S better, then no.but this is a very subjective hobby, so just enjoy it, so no one can tell you what you should or have to do (myself included :ksc75smile: )

Oct 17, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #12,290 of 19,243
Oct 18, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #12,293 of 19,243
Well, the left driver of my ~15 y/o ER4S's is now substantially reduced in volume. Sadly, replacing filters (the usual suspect) has no effect. Also checked all links in the audio chain & the issue follows the driver all the way. Frankly, I suspect the root cause are the new plastic tubed filters that I've only recently started to use. They seem to have a recessed filter deeper inside the filter tube that may not sufficiently protect the drivers from excessive earwax. I never had issues with the older metal tubed filters with easily visible green filter material (despite Ety's admonishment of the previous design).

I'm on the fence as to what to replace them with & how. The Etymotic trade-in program to the newer models offers nothing $$-wise vs. judicious shopping (& keep my existing). Even less incentive if I am willing to go with the ER3 models.

The thing is that I have found some pleasant synergy with the ER4S's plugged into the 120-ohm output of my headphone amp. I'm afraid the newer models might not scale/synergize as well with the higher-impedance output. Maybe I'll try to find a new-old-stock ER4S? Maybe I'll try something else altogether? *shrug*

Oct 18, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #12,294 of 19,243
Maybe I'll try to find a new-old-stock ER4S? Maybe I'll try something else altogether? *shrug*

There is a pair of new ER4S listing on eBay for $170 right now. I'll jump on it if I were you.

Oct 18, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #12,295 of 19,243
The thing is that I have found some pleasant synergy with the ER4S's plugged into the 120-ohm output of my headphone amp. I'm afraid the newer models might not scale/synergize as well with the higher-impedance output. Maybe I'll try to find a new-old-stock ER4S? Maybe I'll try something else altogether? *shrug*
The newer models are actually easier to drive.

But anyway, the ER4S is going for less than $200 on Amazon at the moment. If you loved them before, my advice is 'Don't wait'.

I've owned everything in the ER4 series except the B: ER4S, ER4P, ER4PT, ER4XR, ER4SR.

I love the ER4S/ER4PT for its history, the memories and the discovery of the staggering improvement when you plonk in the red filters.

And I adore the ER4SR because it's so unbelievably smooth and easier to drive than the ER4S. It's the best in the ER4 series in my humble opinion, but I'm not so sure the upperhand it holds is worth a hundred bucks more than the 4S right now.

Oct 18, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #12,299 of 19,243
Combined with the Shure Olive tips, this is still the only IEM I’ve tested that can block out the rumble of a subway train.

Pretty crazy.

Oct 18, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #12,300 of 19,243
Just purchased the ER3XR from Massdrop waiting for delivery in Nov. How do they perform on smartphones (Galaxy S9+) as i will be using it mainly on my commutes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back