If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Nov 7, 2018 at 7:34 AM Post #12,348 of 19,243
Pair it with a DAP that has a warm sound signature (ex: N5ii) or use a filter that has a slow decay and you'll find the low end improves :)

My ER4SR sounds great with my Cayin N5ii which gives it a hint a warmth in the low end and also my 300R which makes it more dynamic with the SLOW filter.

The sub-bass will never really be there though =P
I wonder if er4s needs to burn-in ? It use BA driver.

Nov 11, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #12,349 of 19,243
I just got the er4xr and if this is the bass version, I don't want to know how the Sr is.

The upper clarity is gorgeous though. May not end up being my thing, but my next headphone needs to be like these with more bodied bass

Nov 11, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #12,350 of 19,243
I just got the er4xr and if this is the bass version, I don't want to know how the Sr is.

The upper clarity is gorgeous though. May not end up being my thing, but my next headphone needs to be like these with more bodied bass

Getting a ER4 for bass is a bad idea. Although the ER4SR + XDP300R (slow filter) has great bass for me, you’re probably better off with the EE Bravado or something.

Nov 11, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #12,351 of 19,243

The bass varies quite a bit for me depending on tips. And beyond that they respond pretty well to EQ, so you can always give that a try.

Nov 15, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #12,353 of 19,243
I haven’t listened to my ER4XR’s in awhile and I took them to work with me Sunday. Man, I forgot how good these sound.

Nov 15, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #12,354 of 19,243
So my ER4SR arrived. Just a few quick impressions comparing it to my HF5. I can tell it is a step up. Not only can it handle an amp, but also seems to have a bit more dynamic range. Still the HF5 was quite good and very good value.

Its (almost) all in the presentation. To use a rough comparisons:

While the HF5 is more akin to HD600. The ER4SR is closer to HD800. Ultimately, it seems to be closer than either of these sets to reference.

Outside of a Focal Utopia, the ER4SR is among the best presentations I've heard. To me, Etymotic is an essential piece of kit, an audioscope for those who want to delve deep into sound.

If you have audio playing while you insert these, a weird effect happens where once a proper seal is achieved, it sounds as if the IEMs are not in your ears. Transparency.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #12,356 of 19,243
So my ER4SR arrived. Just a few quick impressions comparing it to my HF5. I can tell it is a step up. Not only can it handle an amp, but also seems to have a bit more dynamic range. Still the HF5 was quite good and very good value.

Its (almost) all in the presentation. To use a rough comparisons:

While the HF5 is more akin to HD600. The ER4SR is closer to HD800. Ultimately, it seems to be closer than either of these sets to reference.

Outside of a Focal Utopia, the ER4SR is among the best presentations I've heard. To me, Etymotic is an essential piece of kit, an audioscope for those who want to delve deep into sound.

If you have audio playing while you insert these, a weird effect happens where once a proper seal is achieved, it sounds as if the IEMs are not in your ears. Transparency.

ER4SR are pretty much an essential passage into the hobby. Same with the Andromeda once you can afford it. Whether you decide to keep them or not after is up to you but they must be listened to.

Nov 15, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #12,357 of 19,243
i haven't heard the ER4SR, but for those who owns both: how much difference/similarities between ER4XR with PtoS impedance adapter compared to the ER4SR? I'm using my PtoS adapter more (and also a 100 ohm diy one) with my ER4XR, while i prefer using my ER4PT without the adapter

Nov 16, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #12,358 of 19,243
i haven't heard the ER4SR, but for those who owns both: how much difference/similarities between ER4XR with PtoS impedance adapter compared to the ER4SR? I'm using my PtoS adapter more (and also a 100 ohm diy one) with my ER4XR, while i prefer using my ER4PT without the adapter
Hi has anyone used custom tips and what difference do they make with the ex4xr
thanks

d

Nov 16, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #12,359 of 19,243
I try to love my HF5, but it's hard, because the fitlers so easily clog up with dirt and then there's no soudn anymore .. third time now. never had any earphone so annoyingl easily get defunct all the time requiring new filters :frowning2:

Nov 16, 2018 at 4:26 AM Post #12,360 of 19,243
Hi has anyone used custom tips and what difference do they make with the ex4xr
thanks

d

i used double flanges and now using Final Audio E tips on my etys. i use them because the stock triflange just simply can't be inserted properly to make any kind of seal on my ears

Users who are viewing this thread

Back