If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jul 11, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #10,726 of 19,256
Hi, guys!
Can anyone measure the length of the sound tube of er4, please?

About 8mm from the tip to the base of the sound tube / nozzle, then another 14mm to the end of the housing - this is true for both new and old ER4.

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #10,728 of 19,256
Hi everyone. I've read some very good things about the ER4XR and I was wondering whether it would be suitable for electronic music as well, even if an amplifier is required? Think Aphex Twin's Syro album etc

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #10,729 of 19,256
Hi everyone. I've read some very good things about the ER4XR and I was wondering whether it would be suitable for electronic music as well, even if an amplifier is required? Think Aphex Twin's Syro album etc

That's solely a matter of individual, personal preference (I for example do even love electronic music with the "lifeless" and flat ER-4S and SR while many people find them to sound too sterile for that).

What IEMs/headphones did you have before? Just to get an idea of what type of sound signature you are used to.

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #10,730 of 19,256
That's solely a matter of individual, personal preference (I for example do even love electronic music with the "lifeless" and flat ER-4S and SR while many people find them to sound too sterile for that).

What IEMs/headphones did you have before? Just to get an idea of what type of sound signature you are used to.
Thanks for replying.

I am new to all this so have in mind that I am not particularly knowledgeable. I only recently purchased a pair of DT770s - and I do realise these are V-shaped and place a lot of emphasis on bass which makes them completely different from the ERX4R - but I'm open minded when it comes to different sound signatures. I do care about clarity and I am willing to sacrifice some bass as long as it is still enjoyable to listen to low-end dependent music such as electronic.

Purely in terms of sound quality, would the ER4XR be a massive improvement and do you think it can serve as a universal IEM for anything both at home and on the go? At this stage, I would rather pay a bit more and have something that I can use universally than have multiple different headphones - but of course I do realise that ideally it's always good to have different devices for different activities or music.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #10,731 of 19,256
Purely in terms of sound quality, would the ER4XR be a massive improvement and do you think it can serve as a universal IEM for anything both at home and on the go?

Well, comparing IEMs to over-ear headphones doesn't make that much sense imo. As you noticed, for yourself, the DT770 Pro is quite v-shaped - with a strong, kicking bass and a bright, vivid and sparkling treble.

I definitely think that the XR might serve well for an in-ear to be used on the go as well as at home - although you might still miss some bass impact, coming from the DT770.

You could try it if there is a shop that sends demos or allows for easy and uncomplicated returns (Amazon for example, or Thomann) and see how you like it. The FLC8s with its advanced tuning options might be worth a consideration, too.

Jul 12, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #10,732 of 19,256
I think you'd be pleased with the er4xr. Aside from great audio, I thought it was really good for casual use. Like watching YouTube videos, an occasional TV show on a mobile device, etc. I like them better for those applications than my er4s. However in the end, I chose er4s. I'm too attached to their sound for music listening. Just grab a set of er4xr with a return policy, just in case you're not satisfied.

Jul 12, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #10,733 of 19,256
Thanks for replying.

I am new to all this so have in mind that I am not particularly knowledgeable. I only recently purchased a pair of DT770s - and I do realise these are V-shaped and place a lot of emphasis on bass which makes them completely different from the ERX4R - but I'm open minded when it comes to different sound signatures. I do care about clarity and I am willing to sacrifice some bass as long as it is still enjoyable to listen to low-end dependent music such as electronic.

Purely in terms of sound quality, would the ER4XR be a massive improvement and do you think it can serve as a universal IEM for anything both at home and on the go? At this stage, I would rather pay a bit more and have something that I can use universally than have multiple different headphones - but of course I do realise that ideally it's always good to have different devices for different activities or music.

I have a pair balanced wired and they sound great and certainly not lacking in bass at all , for me it sounds a cleaner bass and just the right amount and i listen to anything from Floyd to reggae and Metallica to edm got spinfits on them at the moment but these are keepers so I've invested in a pair of snugs tips to get the best from them.

Jul 13, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #10,734 of 19,256
Another little project finished ! Was after thin cable for the ER4XR's and didn't fancy splashing out £150 for a linum so bought the Fiio balanced cable cut off the 2.5mm and the 2 pin connectors and added a new eidolic splitter and a 4.4mm PW Audio jack plus the right angle mmcx's. Voila sweet looking balanced cable for £45 all in !
14999634475811651945541.jpg

Jul 14, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #10,735 of 19,256
I just got my hands on a pair of er4b. I'm not sure what to say just yet. I used to envision a harsh er4s. They anything but that to my ears. They are like an er4s that had the mud cleared out of the drivers :p.

To my ears they might be a touch "hot" for most people in the treble, but to me it adds a lot of the presence and depth of space you get with a speaker in a room. It's like an er4s with super hd sound.

It has the same bass as the er4s so it doesn't sound drastically brighter to me, but like all etys I'd prefer more low sub bass. However, with a proper bass eq the er4b sounds phenomenal.

It may not be for everyone, and I'm not saying it will replace my er4s/sr/xr :wink: but so far it sounds superb even with no eq. More comments to come.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #10,736 of 19,256

Call me crazy but I'm listening to BT on the er4b on my iphone 7 and think it sounds absolutely awesome.
Skylarking for example has the same bass quality as the er4s but there is so much more spaciousness. And at the relaxing part at 3:40 the reverb quality and small details almost takes you to another world.

To be honest there are times i forget I'm not listening to the er4s. A direct comparison definitely shows they are brighter a bit, but well mastered music doesn't sound strikingly bright or anything. It just sounds really high def and smooth but open. This may vary depending on how loud each user listens to a song as well though.

On the same album the song tomahawk sounds great too. The added treble gives it a much more upbeat energy in my opinion. The bass is present like the er4s, but the treble makes the sounds pop more and it's just awesome.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2017 at 4:44 AM Post #10,737 of 19,256
I really enjoyed my ER-4B for several weeks. I loved the access to fine detail and space that they provided, and like you I did not find them harsh.

But in my case I eventually started to feel that their presentation was for me a form of hyperreality that, interesting as it was, was directing my attention towards those aspects of the music, and reducing my attentiveness to others. I felt my enjoyment of the detail and spaciousness hindered my enjoyment of the gestalt of the performance. (It would certainly be reasonable to recast that as "I'd always heard music one way and failed to get used to hearing it a different way," I know.)

In the end I got them recabled back to ER-4S, which remained my reference sound until the ER4-SR. But if I'd had a spare ER-4S as I do now, I imagine I would have kept them. They certainly provide a very special window into a recording.

Jul 15, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #10,738 of 19,256
Finally finished this up - definitely the cleanest looking ER4B cable I have ever built.

B1.JPG
B2.JPG

Jul 15, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #10,739 of 19,256
DSC_0105.JPG

A bit of hiccup building this for someone else - putting a 2.5mm TRRS balanced plug and socket into the stock new ER4 cable, so it can be used for both balanced and single-ended source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back