If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jul 5, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #10,711 of 19,251
1499266717200211000771.jpg 14992665062761857451211.jpg
Now to make a custom cable, pics to follow!

Now finished, toxic cables 4.4mm carbon fibre jack , 26awg silver plated 7N ofc Teflon coated with 4mm paracord on the bottom part , eidolic blue fibre splitter finished off with 2 mmcx right angle plugs all soldered with WGT silver solder and back caps and head of connector housings silver sealed to add extra shielding.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #10,712 of 19,251
I'm really loving my new/used ER4PT! I bought them after seeing them described as the IEM with similar neutral response to the Sennheiser HD-600. I've used them a few times on stage for guitar and mandolin, and they are worlds better for me than the bloated hollow sounding backline Westone W3 and W30s and the harsh treble and midrange of the Shure SE215s. One thing I didn't expect was how far they stick out of my small ear canals. I get a good fit with the tri-flange tips and have watched the tutorials on how to deeply seat them, but i think my ears are just smaller than the average persons... I'm now on a quest for either universal or custom IEMs that have a similar sound signature with a lower profile and an over-the-ear wire design. I have experimented with using the ER4s with the wire over my ears, but it doesn't stay put there, and eventually works lose and falls out when i bounce around too much on stage... I also have enjoyed listening to music with them in bed- as long as I lay flat on my back and don't turn my ear towards the pillow- ouch! Is my next step really the custom UERM? That's a lot of money for me to spend for something i've never auditioned and can't return! I contacted UE, and they said they don't have any places for me to audition them near West Michigan... I'm sure this question has been asked before, and will be asked again. I'll be working on digesting the previous 10,000 messages in this thread to extract your expertise. Thanks! :)
M2IvQTG.jpg

Jul 5, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #10,713 of 19,251
I'm really loving my new/used ER4PT! I bought them after seeing them described as the IEM with similar neutral response to the Sennheiser HD-600. I've used them a few times on stage for guitar and mandolin, and they are worlds better for me than the bloated hollow sounding backline Westone W3 and W30s and the harsh treble and midrange of the Shure SE215s. One thing I didn't expect was how far they stick out of my small ear canals. I get a good fit with the tri-flange tips and have watched the tutorials on how to deeply seat them, but i think my ears are just smaller than the average persons... I'm now on a quest for either universal or custom IEMs that have a similar sound signature with a lower profile and an over-the-ear wire design. I have experimented with using the ER4s with the wire over my ears, but it doesn't stay put there, and eventually works lose and falls out when i bounce around too much on stage... I also have enjoyed listening to music with them in bed- as long as I lay flat on my back and don't turn my ear towards the pillow- ouch! Is my next step really the custom UERM? That's a lot of money for me to spend for something i've never auditioned and can't return! I contacted UE, and they said they don't have any places for me to audition them near West Michigan... I'm sure this question has been asked before, and will be asked again. I'll be working on digesting the previous 10,000 messages in this thread to extract your expertise. Thanks! :)

One thing you may consider is replacing the cable. Mat, @ Forza Audio Works makes a good replacement (Pyre, hybrid). The transducer connectors are at a right angle to the transducers themselves, rather than the 45 degrees of the stock cable which means the "stikyoutness" is not so, well, sticky out! With a chin synch (which comes as standard) I find the Hydra cable far more practical for wearing over the ears (no cable noise, and more secure). I don't have a camera to hand ATM (and I'm in bed anyway), but I'll see if I can do a pic tomorrow and post.

Are you using the large or small triple flange tips? Also, I think that most around this thread would agree that the sound signature of the Etys is somewhat unique and not easily replicated with other iems.....

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #10,714 of 19,251
One thing you may consider is replacing the cable. Mat, @ Forza Audio Works makes a good replacement (Pyre, hybrid). The transducer connectors are at a right angle to the transducers themselves, rather than the 45 degrees of the stock cable which means the "stikyoutness" is not so, well, sticky out! With a chin synch (which comes as standard) I find the Hydra cable far more practical for wearing over the ears (no cable noise, and more secure). I don't have a camera to hand ATM (and I'm in bed anyway), but I'll see if I can do a pic tomorrow and post.

Are you using the large or small triple flange tips? Also, I think that most around this thread would agree that the sound signature of the Etys is somewhat unique and not easily replicated with other iems.....

Thanks for the tips (pun intended!) I'll have to check out the Forza Hydra cable. I did think previously about trying to make a "chin cinch" from heat shrink or rubber or something to keep the cable behind my head from flopping around. If course, I didn't know what to call it when googling it! I think I'm using the smaller triple flanges, I'll have to double check. They are labeled x-3, x-4... It must be hard to get the er4 special sauce tuning in other shapes, or I imagine ety would have another product with a more flush design by now after a few decades!

Jul 5, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #10,715 of 19,251
Going back to my ER4P, and I think it's my favorite for general usage now. ER4S and SR sound really good of course, but the ER4P's extra warmth leads to a wider soundstage and easier long listening sessions. Subconsciously I feel it makes a big difference.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #10,716 of 19,251
Thanks for the tips (pun intended!) I'll have to check out the Forza Hydra cable. I did think previously about trying to make a "chin cinch" from heat shrink or rubber or something to keep the cable behind my head from flopping around. If course, I didn't know what to call it when googling it! I think I'm using the smaller triple flanges, I'll have to double check. They are labeled x-3, x-4... It must be hard to get the er4 special sauce tuning in other shapes, or I imagine ety would have another product with a more flush design by now after a few decades!

If you were to replace the cable on old ER4, do remember to tell the cable maker to give you the right impedance or else the tuning will be off.

Jul 6, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #10,717 of 19,251
So I have a new pair of ER4P-T with me, and am comparing to my 8 month old ER4SRs, and the ER4SR sounds less warm than the ER4S (ER4P in S mode). The SR's upper treble isn't as bright, but the lower half of the response curve has less warmth. Using fresh filters for the SR, same tip size and ear fit for both SR and ER4S. This shouldn't be right according to every measurement I've seen comparing these headphones.

The funny thing is, I remember back when I owned my first pair of ER4P-Ts and compared to a new pair of ER4SRs, the ER4SR sounded obviously warmer than the ER4S and about as warm as the ER4P. Is this evidence of driver burn in, since fresh filters aren't making a difference? Or something else?

I admit that at this point the ER4SR is too lacking in warmth. The best word I can use to describe it is sterile. Again, I don't think this particular pair has always been like this, rather a gradual change towards brightness.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #10,718 of 19,251

I've uploaded some photos into an album for you to view. Sorry, but my phone with a front facing camera is at work, so I had to use a normal camera which resulted in a lot of shots of my hair!!! If you click on my Avatar, then click Photos, you'll see the images. I don't use standard ety tips, as I found the large triple flanges (grey or white) were too big, and the small triple flanges (transparent) started out fine, but became too small. These black ones are a happy middle of the road, and I can move about very vigorously without any movement of the earpieces at all. I removed the standard cable synch (a small length of transparent tubing) and replaced it with a small white silicone washer as I preferred it. I've put another of the washers on the right hand transducer as a tactile indicator for correct channel selection.

My images probably don't do Mat's work justice, and the printed logo has mostly rubbed off over time. The cable is very sturdy, and can easily be coiled to fit into a small storage tin. This cable is configured as a P, although Mat made an in-line adapter to convert it into an S. I know there other suppliers who can make the cables, but I would be very careful about who I used to make such a cable as as ClieOS has mentioned, the correct impedance is important to maintain the normal sound signature and not loose the magic.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #10,719 of 19,251
I've uploaded some photos into an album for you to view. Sorry, but my phone with a front facing camera is at work, so I had to use a normal camera which resulted in a lot of shots of my hair!!! If you click on my Avatar, then click Photos, you'll see the images. I don't use standard ety tips, as I found the large triple flanges (grey or white) were too big, and the small triple flanges (transparent) started out fine, but became too small. These black ones are a happy middle of the road, and I can move about very vigorously without any movement of the earpieces at all. I removed the standard cable synch (a small length of transparent tubing) and replaced it with a small white silicone washer as I preferred it. I've put another of the washers on the right hand transducer as a tactile indicator for correct channel selection.

My images probably don't do Mat's work justice, and the printed logo has mostly rubbed off over time. The cable is very sturdy, and can easily be coiled to fit into a small storage tin. This cable is configured as a P, although Mat made an in-line adapter to convert it into an S. I know there other suppliers who can make the cables, but I would be very careful about who I used to make such a cable as as ClieOS has mentioned, the correct impedance is important to maintain the normal sound signature and not loose the magic.

Thanks for sharing the pictures, the cables look very nice, and like they work nicely over the ear. That would take care of one of my concens. It looks like they still protrude out of the ear pretty far, so it wouldn't help my laying on my side in bed comfort. I've been using my cheap Mee m6 sports in bed since they're more comfy. If i could combine the comfort of those with the sound of the ER4 i'd be a happy camper :) I did get brave and pull the cable off my ER4 yesterday and put a short piece of heat shrink tube as a cable cinch and that's working pretty well. I'm also considering building myself a DIY cable for my ER4s I'm no stranger to electronics and i think i could fix some 20-30ohm SMC resistors in the 1/8" jack end of the plug. (I was also considering if i could use a small trim-pot for an adjustable impedence cable to vary between ER4P and ER4S impedence. I also wonder if i could come up with an even slimmer way to mount the wire directly to the pins and then heat shrink back over the driver barrel itself as a strain relief... i'll have to think about that...

Jul 6, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #10,720 of 19,251
It must be hard to get the er4 special sauce tuning in other shapes, or I imagine ety would have another product with a more flush design by now after a few decades!
I actually tried that a few days ago: https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/remax-rm-s1-iem.812348/page-3#post-13573917

It works as it sounds very similar to a ER4P now, but it required a few tweaks regarding resistors and tube dimensions. I still think the ER4P sounds a bit different since the deep insertion somehow is part of it's special sound.

Jul 6, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #10,721 of 19,251
Thanks for sharing the pictures, the cables look very nice, and like they work nicely over the ear. That would take care of one of my concens. It looks like they still protrude out of the ear pretty far, so it wouldn't help my laying on my side in bed comfort. I've been using my cheap Mee m6 sports in bed since they're more comfy. If i could combine the comfort of those with the sound of the ER4 i'd be a happy camper :) I did get brave and pull the cable off my ER4 yesterday and put a short piece of heat shrink tube as a cable cinch and that's working pretty well. I'm also considering building myself a DIY cable for my ER4s I'm no stranger to electronics and i think i could fix some 20-30ohm SMC resistors in the 1/8" jack end of the plug. (I was also considering if i could use a small trim-pot for an adjustable impedence cable to vary between ER4P and ER4S impedence. I also wonder if i could come up with an even slimmer way to mount the wire directly to the pins and then heat shrink back over the driver barrel itself as a strain relief... i'll have to think about that...

I have to admit, I wouldn't want to lie on the side of my head with the ety's in - but other than that, this setup ticks all my boxes. I guess if you are prepared to go to the sort of lengths you're talking about, there's not limit to what you can achieve with some imagination. However, if you are talking about mounting the cable directly to the pins, I would have thought there is a real danger you may get the transducer stuck in your ear....

Jul 6, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #10,722 of 19,251
However, if you are talking about mounting the cable directly to the pins, I would have thought there is a real danger you may get the transducer stuck in your ear....

That'd be no good! I don't think there's much danger of that for me, the barrel part only sticks about halfway into my ear as deep as I can insert it! (See my photo above)

Jul 10, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #10,724 of 19,251
M2IvQTG.jpg
For small ears try this http://www.ebay.ie/itm/262617027578

Jul 10, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #10,725 of 19,251

Now up for sale as I'm making another cable in pure silver , this cable is toxic cables 4.4mm carbon fibre jack , 26awg silver plated 7N ofc Teflon coated with 4mm paracord on the bottom part , eidolic blue fibre splitter finished off with 2 mmcx right angle plugs all soldered with WGT silver solder and back caps and head of connector housings silver sealed to add extra shielding.

Selling for cost of build if anyone interested £65 including postage, can re terminate the 4.4mm to another type if required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back