If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jun 15, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #10,681 of 19,249
I too, quest for a full sized phone with ety detail and sub bass extension, searches say to try the akg k7xx series (or some expensive electrostatics, which isn't happening for me).
Maybe try a focal spirit pro if you can find one around.

On the lively sound of neutral. Nice tight bottom end.

I have both that and the er4s as my two portable options

Jun 15, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #10,682 of 19,249
Which, wouldn't it be interesting if someday Etymotic made a full size headphone that adheres closely to the accuracy curve by which they reference their IEM's? I'd buy it, but it's so far out of their wheelhouse I doubt it will happen.

Jun 17, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #10,684 of 19,249
Smart looking cable - I especially like the transducer connectors...
Took me awhile to find the right parts but here it is - my first experimental balanced cable for ER4SR. I know I am not the first to DIY the balanced cable for ER4SR/XR as I already saw someone selling it on eBay, but they are using the original ER4SR/XR cable and reterminating it with balanced plug. Mine is perhaps a more difficult route.

Interested in getting hold of the connectors to make my own custom cable or any chance you supplying the cable with connectors with a bare 4 wire end so I can add a 4.4mm plug of my own and any other options regarding the cable as if memory serves me right that silver one is a bit stiff or any help pointing me in the right direction to get my own would be great.

Jun 17, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #10,685 of 19,249
Interested in getting hold of the connectors to make my own custom cable or any chance you supplying the cable with connectors with a bare 4 wire end so I can add a 4.4mm plug of my own and any other options regarding the cable as if memory serves me right that silver one is a bit stiff or any help pointing me in the right direction to get my own would be great.

The cable comes from Lunashops and they are pre-built / already finished with different type of balanced plug and connectors, I just re-terminated one with a regular MMCX with the one shown in my picture. If you want a softer cable, I'll suggest their pure copper / OCC cable instead of the SPOFC cable I used. The MMCX connector itself is also easy to find - just search 'right angle MMCX' on most major electrical supplier (Mouser, etc) and you will sure to find it. They are however not designed for IEM but for its original application as WiFi connector, going mostly with very small coaxial cable like RG178, RG179, etc - and such they are a bit more difficult to solder then those intended for IEM and I'll strongly advise soldering iron with a very fine tip that is meant for SMD works. They are also designed without strain relief in mind, so you'll have to figure how you like to anchor the cable so they can withstand pulling as the soldering might fail if it is only point of contact between the cable and the MMCX connector. I used a combination of superglue and UV glue to permanently fixate the cable onto the MMCX connector, which you might have noticed on the close-up picture.

On a side note, I am actually building another one of this cable with the Sony 4.4mm TRRRS plug for another member, probably will finish sometime later next week. Will post picture of it once it is finished.

Jun 18, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #10,686 of 19,249
The cable comes from Lunashops and they are pre-built / already finished with different type of balanced plug and connectors, I just re-terminated one with a regular MMCX with the one shown in my picture. If you want a softer cable, I'll suggest their pure copper / OCC cable instead of the SPOFC cable I used. The MMCX connector itself is also easy to find - just search 'right angle MMCX' on most major electrical supplier (Mouser, etc) and you will sure to find it. They are however not designed for IEM but for its original application as WiFi connector, going mostly with very small coaxial cable like RG178, RG179, etc - and such they are a bit more difficult to solder then those intended for IEM and I'll strongly advise soldering iron with a very fine tip that is meant for SMD works. They are also designed without strain relief in mind, so you'll have to figure how you like to anchor the cable so they can withstand pulling as the soldering might fail if it is only point of contact between the cable and the MMCX connector. I used a combination of superglue and UV glue to permanently fixate the cable onto the MMCX connector, which you might have noticed on the close-up picture.

On a side note, I am actually building another one of this cable with the Sony 4.4mm TRRRS plug for another member, probably will finish sometime later next week. Will post picture of it once it is finished.

Will these do the job ?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172218825800
As far as anchor it in place I'll use a sma red staking gel that we have at work for fixing ic's and surface mount caps and resistors followed by a 3:1 3M glued heat shrink sleeve , pull tested this stuff and it holds up to 2kg so I guess I'm good to go ! Take it then the mmcx connector is just standard on the stock apart from the notch to stop the spin ? Getting some double helix / toxic cables silver litz to hook them up to the eidolic 4.4mm I have on the way , will post pics when I'm done.
@ ClieOS many thanks.

Jun 18, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #10,687 of 19,249
Will these do the job ?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172218825800
As far as anchor it in place I'll use a sma red staking gel that we have at work for fixing ic's and surface mount caps and resistors followed by a 3:1 3M glued heat shrink sleeve , pull tested this stuff and it holds up to 2kg so I guess I'm good to go ! Take it then the mmcx connector is just standard on the stock apart from the notch to stop the spin ? Getting some double helix / toxic cables silver litz to hook them up to the eidolic 4.4mm I have on the way , will post pics when I'm done.
@ ClieOS many thanks.

The picture isn't great but it seems to be right, assuming there are metal sleeve in there as well. If it does, then you should be good to go.

You need to be very careful on your selection of cables as thick wire just won't fit through the internal opening and will be extremely difficult to solder on the center pin. For example, the internal opening on my MMCX connector only measures around 1.5mm in diameter. So you will need wire and its insulation's diameter less than that just to be on the safe side.

Jun 18, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #10,688 of 19,249
The picture isn't great but it seems to be right, assuming there are metal sleeve in there as well. If it does, then you should be good to go.

You need to be very careful on your selection of cables as thick wire just won't fit through the internal opening and will be extremely difficult to solder on the center pin. For example, the internal opening on my MMCX connector only measures around 1.5mm in diameter. So you will need wire and its insulation's diameter less than that just to be on the safe side.

Didn't think they would be much room , what about 1 wire inside to pin and one to the crimp area with enough solder to avoid cutting it after the crimp or maybe adding a touch of rtv to protect ?

Jun 18, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #10,689 of 19,249
Didn't think they would be much room , what about 1 wire inside to pin and one to the crimp area with enough solder to avoid cutting it after the crimp or maybe adding a touch of rtv to protect ?

That's pretty much what I've done.

Jun 19, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #10,692 of 19,249
Jun 24, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #10,693 of 19,249
Jun 24, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #10,694 of 19,249
Jun 25, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #10,695 of 19,249
Any ideas on how to reduce the liklihood of foamies getting stuck in your ear when you take out the earphone?

Had this happen with my ER-4XR. Lukily a pair of tweezer-scissors got the foamie out after 5 or 6 tries. Should I try a smaller foamie tip? Change tips more often? Drop of super glue on the outside of the sound tube? I know it has already been discussed a few times on here, but haven't seen anything xr/sr specific with the aluminum housings. The tip that got stuck was about a month old and probably had been in & out 3 or 4 dozen times and played for 2 or 3 hundred hours.

It happened about 4 years ago with my ER-4P too, I freaked out and went to the hospital after failing with regular tweezers. That was an expensive mistake that I won't make again, haha.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back