If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Dec 25, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #10,142 of 19,253
  Sorry for asking a unrelated question, but how much DC offset is too much? I saw it being mentioned earlier in this thread, but i can't find any numbers on it.

I guess it's because it will depend on the IEM you're using. sensitivity, max power before blowing up, stuff like that will change from IEM to IEM.
on the er4sr they give 122db as max output, so there should be a way to guess what is a bad idea at a given loudness, the Etycrew probably knows more about values for their own IEMs.

now about audibility, I really don't have a clue.

Dec 25, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #10,143 of 19,253
  [5] Following that line of thinking, this entire website and similar ones are not valid. People posting their subjective opinions on the sound qualities of headphones, none of it can be compared legitimately because none of us are the same people. I certainly admit I can't be sure of what Voyageur is hearing, and maybe his source is having an impact, but do we need to stop at every point of the way for these things? It's way more likely we have a valid understanding than not. 

Source will probably be the least of your worries.

But take equal loudness contours into consideration, and the fact that people tend to listen at different volume levels. Volume differences aside, take also into consideration that eardrum level measurements vary up to several dBs between subjects in pretty much every study out there.

With that in mind, I'd really like to know your rationale behind "it's way more likely we have a valid understanding than not".

Dec 25, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #10,144 of 19,253
I'm just gonna drop this thing with Voyageur and castle from here. No need to continue discussing it because it's a dead end.

Dec 26, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #10,145 of 19,253
Ok, sounds like you guys are having fun laughs. ER4PT and HF5 owner here, wondering how easy to drive the new ETY 4 series monitors are?

Dec 26, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #10,146 of 19,253
Ok, sounds like you guys are having fun laughs. ER4PT and HF5 owner here, wondering how easy to drive the new ETY 4 series monitors are?

Easy enough. 70% volume on my android phone is good. Very low power devices might be a problem, but imo you don't really need an amp. It will sound slightly better/cleaner amped, especially if you want your amp's FR. An important thing of course is going to be low output impedance and no capacitors or else you might get manipulated FR or clipping if lacking power.

Dec 26, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #10,147 of 19,253
I have a couple of portable set ups i use.

One is simply my er4s straight out of my iphone 6 plus. I love it. Particularly for going off on long walks. No extra dac/amp to lug. And im not feeling im needing more in this setup

Having said that........

I have tried my er4s with my pha3 but i find it can get a little too bright/aggressive/sharp

I come and go in reading/subscribing to this thread but wondering if there are a few proven portable dac/amp options that keep coming up.

Mainly im looking to not undermine the detail (and to not get any brighter)

Dec 26, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #10,148 of 19,253

you'll need to push the volume a little bit higher, probably one or 2 steps on most cellphones and DAPs. else there is less problem with the impedance and it's audibly less sensitive to background hiss compared to the hf5. when I can notice a small hiss with the hf5 on my sony DAP, I don't really notice anything with the er4sr. so to me it's a nice improvement.

to give a meaningless example with quantities; for same loudness, if you send 0.3v into the hf5, you'll need like 0.45v into the 4PT, and 0.7V into the new er4.  double the voltage is 6db louder, while +10db is perceived as twice as loud. so you see, it's a noticeable but not a huge difference and those values I gave are to reach 115db which you'd probably never need.

Dec 27, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #10,149 of 19,253
Laughs, I had a head stage arrow, and a Leckerton Audio Uha-4 and the Arrow would get louder but the Leckerton sounded better, do these new ETY 4 series monitors sound full when powered by a dap or phone? Do they have acceptable bass? Clear highs?

Dec 27, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #10,150 of 19,253
Laughs, I had a head stage arrow, and a Leckerton Audio Uha-4 and the Arrow would get louder but the Leckerton sounded better, do these new ETY 4 series monitors sound full when powered by a dap or phone? Do they have acceptable bass? Clear highs?

well the SR still doesn't have any low end boost and subjectively it's really lacking for me without any EQ. the XR took that into account and has apparently a more reasonable sub bass level.
as I said, power is unlikely to be the problem, but it doesn't mean it will sound the same out of every source ever manufactured. I have a crap cellphone and the UHA4's big brother, the UHA760. the cellphone sounds is not far behind IMO, but still audibly worst than the leckerton. but then again the leckerton is significantly better in every single objective measurement I've been able to do(IMD, THD, crosstalk, dynamic, noise, you name it, the cellphone sucked at it). it's still just an IEM, the fact that it's not too demanding and not very source dependent won't make it magically turn a pumpkin into a great source. ^_^
I do use the er4sr straight into my sony A15 when I wouldn't do that with the hf5. so as I said, it's easier on the source and somehow more versatile which is good, but it won't turn a donkey source into a race horse, no IEM does that.

Jan 1, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #10,153 of 19,253
At this point what I like most about the ER4SR is that I never feel limited by them in any situation. With some other in ears I'd sometimes feel there was too much bass or warmth, or I was missing crucial details for gaming, but the SR seems to fit any media I feed it by giving a really transparent sound. It isn't too bright so there's a baseline level of pleasantness. The sound is natural and reliable, and won't be a problem for any audio. 

Jan 1, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #10,154 of 19,253
  At this point what I like most about the ER4SR is that I never feel limited by them in any situation. With some other in ears I'd sometimes feel there was too much bass or warmth, or I was missing crucial details for gaming, but the SR seems to fit any media I feed it by giving a really transparent sound. It isn't too bright so there's a baseline level of pleasantness. The sound is natural and reliable, and won't be a problem for any audio. 

agreed, i use my er4s for different applications including gaming, they don't have big soundstage but the imaging is very precise and of course the sound is very precise as well

Jan 1, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #10,155 of 19,253
A question about the BA driver. Does the maximum spec spl literally mean there's a spl limit at which point increase power will not increase volume level? I'm wondering because I accidentally plugged the SR into my Realtek headphone out at near full volume for a couple seconds, with metal playing, and it was certainly loud enough for clipping. The headphones still sound good but I'm a little concerned I did damage. From that particular headphone out, about 30/100 was enough for music, and I had the level at like 85/100 for those couple seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back