If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jan 3, 2017 at 5:24 AM Post #10,156 of 19,256
Has anyone gotten the impression that the ER4P/ER4S sound cleaner than the ER4SR? It's hard to explain, but like the sounds coming from the ER4P sounded more real and smooth. I don't have the ER4P with me anymore to compare though. Is this the ER4SR FR bringing out certain noises that increase the perception of distortion or other artifacts and not some other factor?

Jan 3, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #10,158 of 19,256
Jan 3, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #10,159 of 19,256
  A joke, isn't it?

No. And I've had two pairs of SRs, and it was the same thing for both. I mean I'd have to assume it's the FR bringing out certain details but I don't know. I just thought the ER4P especially sounded very clean and "even." Also more in your face but deep sound stage. The ER4S was about as clean as the ER4P but didn't have the same in your face sound. 

Jan 3, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #10,161 of 19,256
ER4SR and ER4S sound noticeably different though; nearly everyone who's heard both agrees. ER4S is significantly airier and a bit crunchier than the SR imo. I've heard them all, ER4P/S ER4SR, XR. In terms of muffled sound from most to least I'd say ER4XR>ER4P=ER4SR>ER4S. The ER4P is airier and cleaner than people give it credit for.

Jan 4, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #10,162 of 19,256
I definitely wouldn't say that the ER•4S and SR are "noticeably different" - at least not the two that I have here. Both have got an overall quite similar frequency response - the difference between the two I have (production tolerance might be in play as well though) is that the ER•4S has got very slightly more level in the presence range (~ 2.7 kHz) and a little more level above 10 kHz, making it indeed appear subjectively a little airier with very high frequencies. The difference is not huge at all though, but actually rather small, and the ER•4SR is far from sounding muffled or subdued in the treble.
What I perceive though is that the ER•4SR's bass is a little softer in comparison, while the soundstage has gained some precision.

Imvho, it is a great successor of the ER•4S, with rather small differences in terms of tonality but a greater difference in terms of cable and feeling. I really like the improved, soft cable and love that a chin-slider has finally been implemented.
At first I was a bit sceptic towards the change from plastic to metal-moulded housings, however as soon as I had the new line of ER•4 in-ears in my hands, I liked the more premium feeling right from the start.
I was also quite sceptic towards the move from the Sennheiser-like 2-pin connectors to MMCX, however the connection seems to be much sturdier than I thought an should (presumably) also last for a very long time as long as the cable isn't occasionally detached for no reason.

The only thing left to desire are better side-markers, such as a coloured red dot on the right hand side of the cable just like it was implemented in the ER•4S's cable, 'cause the current implementation of the side-markers is not so great, especially in a room that isn't too well illuminated.

Jan 5, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #10,163 of 19,256
Does anyone happen to know whether the new cables are composed of 4 x wires? I'm trying to work out whether I can re-terminate them with a TRRS jack to use for balanced output.

Jan 5, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #10,164 of 19,256
  Does anyone happen to know whether the new cables are composed of 4 x wires? I'm trying to work out whether I can re-terminate them with a TRRS jack to use for balanced output.

Yes, you should be able to cut off the plug and re-terminate with a TRRS if that's what you are looking for.

Alternatively, we will be offering a balanced cable option shortly.  We've tooled it up and received the initial samples, but we haven't gotten production cables in yet.  But if you enjoy playing with a soldering iron (as I do) then you could certainly go the DIY route.

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #10,165 of 19,256

Yes, you should be able to cut off the plug and re-terminate with a TRRS if that's what you are looking for.

Alternatively, we will be offering a balanced cable option shortly.  We've tooled it up and received the initial samples, but we haven't gotten production cables in yet.  But if you enjoy playing with a soldering iron (as I do) then you could certainly go the DIY route.

Fantastic, thanks Dave.

Do you happen to know what options you will be offering, regarding termination?

I am also considering the new Sony 4.4mm TRRRS plugs, as I have one of the new WM1A walkmans

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #10,166 of 19,256

Fantastic, thanks Dave.

Do you happen to know what options you will be offering, regarding termination?

I am also considering the new Sony 4.4mm TRRRS plugs, as I have one of the new WM1A walkmans

We're starting out with the 2.5mm TRRS plugs that are used by Astell&Kern (and others).  If there's sufficient demand, we may introduce other options down the line.

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #10,168 of 19,256

Do you have an ETA on when these will be available?

My guess is sometime in February (maybe sliding into early March).  That's not definitive yet, so please don't hold me to that. 

Jan 5, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #10,170 of 19,256
@EtyDave  I had been looking at the new Sony / Kimber balanced cable which has mmcx connectors, however would I be right in thinking I might have difficulty using it with the new ER4 IEMs without some sort of modification?

https://jaben.com.my/products/muc-m12sb1?variant=31462742086

Users who are viewing this thread

Back