If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Nov 7, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #9,766 of 19,251
  The most widely accepted flat response curve for IEM has always been the diffuse field target which I personally find a little misleading. If I'm not wrong, the closest IEM to conform to the diffuse field target has always been the Etymotic ER4 series. In spite of the ER4S/SR's reputation of achieving the closest diffuse field curve, I've always felt that it's actually somewhat accentuated on the 2.5kHz region which somehow makes the sound shouty around that region. That is exactly what I hear and I can't pretend that it's okay to have a shouty 2.5kHz region and still agree that the ER4S/SR is a perfectly flat IEM just because millions of people said so. As for the bass frequencies, I totally agree with Castleofargh regarding the lack of it. Yes, the low frequencies are there but it's just a little modest from what I hear. To be honest, the level at 2.5kHz region is definitely way above the 100Hz region. Am I supposed to agree that this is how a totally flat response, totally neutral and totally balanced sound should be??? To MY ears, absolutely NOT...YMMV.

My next question is whether the certification of the diffuse field target actually consider the fact that all humans have different ears anatomy from person to person, let alone from right ear to the left ear of a certain individual, which leads to the fact that it should sound different from one ear to the other. If the ear anatomy difference is not taken into consideration then how can one claim that we SHOULD all hear the same thing, assuming that all our ears are perfectly fine without any damage??? The closest claim should be that it's a PERCEIVED flat response, PERCEIVED neutrality and PERCEIVED balanced sound. The only way to achieve this claim of total flatness is to hardwire one's brain to an accurate measuring equipment that measures whatever we hear in our ears...which is totally impossible today.

Last but not least, should I conform to what everybody agree with or should I listen to my own ears and form my own judgement??? The answer is all up to you my dear AUDIO friends 
wink.gif

​As far as their measurement system goes, it is an accurate and flat response. They state in their literature that the KEMAR manikin they use has the same acoustic properties as the average head and ear, but by it's definition an average means we won't all hear it the same way.

Nov 7, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #9,767 of 19,251

Thanks Rick,

One last question, can I get the out of warranty replacement sent from one of your UK distributors? If not, from my calculations there probably won't be much of a saving if any, compared to purchasing brand new in the UK, due to the cost of shipping my old Etys to the US,  then customs fees, vat and finally shipping back to the UK

I don't think EtyDirect is offering the trade-in option, at least not at this point. I'm happy to check in on it for you. Can you do me a favor and email me at r_carlson@etymotic.com? It will help me keep track of things, as I don't always get a chance to log on here.

Nov 7, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #9,768 of 19,251
​As far as their measurement system goes, it is an accurate and flat response. They state in their literature that the KEMAR manikin they use has the same acoustic properties as the average head and ear, but by it's definition an average means we won't all hear it the same way.

I have no doubts about how accurate Etymotic's measurement using the TOTL measuring equipment however, average can NEVER be absolute.

Nov 7, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #9,770 of 19,251
I'd say, avoid taking things for granted and be skeptical of both.
I personally tend to trust measurements more when it comes to describing reality because I've been fooled by my senses one time too many. but as an amateur, my preferences are my own and measurements only a tool to help me find the stuff I like. so I'd be more about trusting measurements, but doing what you want anyway
biggrin.gif

Nov 7, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #9,771 of 19,251

I don't think EtyDirect is offering the trade-in option, at least not at this point. I'm happy to check in on it for you. Can you do me a favor and email me at r_carlson@etymotic.com? It will help me keep track of things, as I don't always get a chance to log on here.

​Thanks Rick, I've sent you an email :)

Nov 7, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #9,772 of 19,251
  My next question is whether the certification of the diffuse field target actually consider the fact that all humans have different ears anatomy from person to person, let alone from right ear to the left ear of a certain individual, which leads to the fact that it should sound different from one ear to the other. If the ear anatomy difference is not taken into consideration then how can one claim that we SHOULD all hear the same thing, assuming that all our ears are perfectly fine without any damage.

They state in their literature that the KEMAR manikin they use has the same acoustic properties as the average head and ear, but by it's definition an average means we won't all hear it the same way.

This. Both diffuse field and Harman target are averaged curves and for reference only. HRTFs of individual ears may differ noticeably from these targets.

Here are some graphs of eardrum level measurements (gray centerline = average, gray areas = standard deviation):

As you can see, deviation from average may be up to several dBs for individuals, so it's advisable to take target curves with a grain of salt.

Nov 7, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #9,773 of 19,251

This. Both diffuse field and Harman target are averaged curves and for reference only. HRTFs of individual ears may differ noticeably from these targets.

Here are some graphs of eardrum level measurements (gray centerline = average, gray areas = standard deviation):

As you can see, deviation from average may be up to several dBs for individuals, so it's advisable to take target curves with a grain of salt.

As for reference, my ears tend to prefer the Harman target curve.

Nov 7, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #9,774 of 19,251
As an old saying of mine - if we can all agree on one 'perfect' FR curve, we won't need HF anymore.

Nov 8, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #9,775 of 19,251
  As an old saying of mine - if we can all agree on one 'perfect' FR curve, we won't need HF anymore.

it's only a human problem, aliens already agree on what's the best sound

Nov 8, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #9,776 of 19,251
Had a chance to listen to new ER4SR and compare with my ER4S.

Well, not bad at all.

While most of people find it pretty much identical, I would say new generation differs from old good ER4 line.
Low and high frequencies sound very similar despite the fact that bass has more "dynamic" taste, it feels somehow loose.
There is for sure improvement in soundstage, it has more depth most likely due to less power requirements.
Also, heavy genres of music sound softer, less bite and tightness in attack.

Otherwise, good choice for those people with another music tastes and weak portable sources.
Smooth sound signature with a little bit relaxed feeling.

UPDATE:

Oh, almost forgot to add something more.
If you're looking for substitution, that sounds similar to our beloved ER4, but want more friendly ergonomics and bigger soundstage, get a chance to listen to Dita Audio Truth Edition.
I haven't heard too many TOTL IEMs, but this is astonishing product that changed my opinion about high priced gear, besides, based on dynamic driver and doesn't require a lot of power.

Nov 8, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #9,778 of 19,251

Well, not bad at all.

While most of people find it pretty much identical, I would say new generation differs from old good ER4 line.
Low and high frequencies sound very similar despite the fact that bass has more "dynamic" taste, it feels somehow loose.
There is for sure improvement in soundstage, it has more depth most likely due to less power requirements.

Otherwise, good choice for those people with another music tastes and weak portable sources.

UPDATE:

If you're looking for substitution, that sounds similar to our beloved ER4, but want more friendly ergonomics and bigger soundstage, get a chance to listen to Dita Audio Truth Edition.
I haven't heard too many TOTL IEMs, but this is astonishing product that changed my opinion about high priced gear, besides, based on dynamic driver and doesn't require a lot of power.

ER4 remains to be one of my favourite IEMs and I've tried Dita the Brass a while back. Definitely reminds me of the ER4. Great stuff.

Nov 8, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #9,779 of 19,251
Can you help me find a better cable for my er4s something like the cable on the hf5 I hate how long this er4s cable is

It appears that one of the adapters I purchased from awwan is failing after a little over a week. It seems to be where the cable plugs into the adapter. I got mmcx/shure connector and if I plug and unplug the cable it comes back for a time. I switched everything around to determine if it was a problem with the cable, adapter or the actual earbud. Anyone have any experience with their eBay shop and returns/exchanges? It is not the best time for getting a response due the lunar new year.

Thanks.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Nov 9, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #9,780 of 19,251

Well, not bad at all.

UPDATE:

Wait until you've tried the Dita Dream, out in December

Users who are viewing this thread

Back