If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jun 1, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #7,876 of 19,249
@Hutnicks For sure one of my best audio purchases. Absolutely zero regrets and they hold up to new multidriver (Noble 5) and hybrid releases (Klipsch X20i), for me.

I guess that depends on the type of music (as always). Im really curious how the *new* ER4 will be since I found considerable improvement in with the x20i over the Er4S and PT.  Since you said hybrid, did you mean instead the xr8i, as the x20 is a 2way BA?

Jun 2, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #7,878 of 19,249
I've had a bothersome past with the small frost tips. Sometimes whenever I pull them out of my ear, they come off the nozzle and stay in my ear! I had to take tweezers just to dig em out! Haha. Do any of you guys know how I could fix this issue and still use the small frost tips? Thanks.

Jun 2, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #7,879 of 19,249
I've had a bothersome past with the small frost tips. Sometimes whenever I pull them out of my ear, they come off the nozzle and stay in my ear! I had to take tweezers just to dig em out! Haha. Do any of you guys know how I could fix this issue and still use the small frost tips? Thanks.

If the eartips have been used for some time before that happens, it means it has degraded and need replacement. If it is relatively new eartips, then you need to clean it's inner tube with a tissue, as well as the nozzle, to make sure there isn't any skill oil / wax on them.

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #7,881 of 19,249

Ah, beat me to it. Can always email us at customer-service@etymotic.com and we'll be happy to look them up for you.

when the er4xr be released
tongue.gif

Jun 3, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #7,882 of 19,249
Just listened to my ER-4S again, and holy ****, the soundstage was immense and completely holographic. Like standing in front of world-class cinema speakers. I listened to full-size open headphones that doesn't have this kind of holographic soundstage. It is truly scary.

Also, the saxophone on Miles Davis - So What was incredibly realistic, so much so, that it sounded like I was in the same room.

STARLYTE - Stormchaser sounded absolutely holographic, went far out of my head and the sound was incredibly immersive. These are awesome for EDM if you go after the lack of massive air moving. The extension in the bass is amazing.

How something so small can sound so close to real life or live music is beyond me. Even full-size open headphones failed at that for me. But, why. How Etymotic did this back in 1991 is beyond me. 
eek.gif

Jun 3, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #7,883 of 19,249
not sure about realistic and holographic, but you really conveyed the incredible aspect in your post. ^_^

Jun 3, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #7,884 of 19,249
  Just listened to my ER-4S again, and holy ****, the soundstage was immense and completely holographic. Like standing in front of world-class cinema speakers. I listened to full-size open headphones that doesn't have this kind of holographic soundstage. It is truly scary.

Also, the saxophone on Miles Davis - So What was incredibly realistic, so much so, that it sounded like I was in the same room.

STARLYTE - Stormchaser sounded absolutely holographic, went far out of my head and the sound was incredibly immersive. These are awesome for EDM if you go after the lack of massive air moving. The extension in the bass is amazing.

How something so small can sound so close to real life or live music is beyond me. Even full-size open headphones failed at that for me. But, why. How Etymotic did this back in 1991 is beyond me. 
eek.gif

happy listening
beerchug.gif

Jun 4, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #7,885 of 19,249

eek.gif

Surprisingly, I also don't find the soundstage to be small at all, which is contrary to popular belief. 
beerchug.gif

Maybe it is just perception or maybe it is because (presumably) my HRTF matches really well with the Ety's frequency response.

However, I would not call it really large either, probably "average" in size (and as it should be,) but with really good authenticity, good imaging and holography - it is a nice, 3-dimensional and precise stage and I don't really miss anything at all regarding spatiality, to be honest.

Jun 4, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #7,886 of 19,249

How something so small can sound so close to real life or live music is beyond me. Even full-size open headphones failed at that for me. But, why. How Etymotic did this back in 1991 is beyond me. :eek:  

Surprisingly, I also don't find the soundstage to be small at all, which is contrary to popular belief. :beerchug:

Maybe it is just perception or maybe it is because (presumably) my HRTF matches really well with the Ety's frequency response.

However, I would not call it really large either, probably "average" in size (and as it should be,) but with really good authenticity, good imaging and holography - it is a nice, 3-dimensional and precise stage and I don't really miss anything at all regarding spatiality, to be honest.

I find it sounds a bit more in front of you than something like the pfe112, which sounds moe from the sides. So it may seem wider, but the er4s sounds more like speakers in a room. So for me, with the right tips and fit the sound is like an amazing pair of speakers. Therefore you can get lost in the realism. I literally use them to mix at my console sometimes with my studio monitors in front of me. And sometimes i can almost look in front of me and it sounds like I'm listening to the speakers when the er4s are playing....

Fyi

Jun 4, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #7,888 of 19,249

I find it sounds a bit more in front of you than something like the pfe112, which sounds moe from the sides. So it may seem wider, but the er4s sounds more like speakers in a room. So for me, with the right tips and fit the sound is like an amazing pair of speakers. Therefore you can get lost in the realism. I literally use them to mix at my console sometimes with my studio monitors in front of me. And sometimes i can almost look in front of me and it sounds like I'm listening to the speakers when the er4s are playing....

[Speaking about the ER-4S] Yeah, I also found the soundstage has got nice and realistic forward projection and the overall sound is extremely realistic and authentic.

Truth to be told, though I think the Phonak Audéo PFE 1XX is a nice single-BA in-ear, I always found its soundstage to be quite artificial. Quite surprising as most single-BA in-ears usually sound spatially convincing to me whereas the Audéo's stage appears quite set-up to me.

Jun 4, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #7,889 of 19,249
I've been absent from the ER-4S for more than half a year and have got them back a couple of days ago with the Rock-It sounds r-50 to complement them. Let me just say that I have missed these beauties. In the time of their absence I have had the Ue900s and the Noble 4. The er-4s makes them redundant at a lower price. This just proves how well etymotic can tune one ba driver to compete with higher driver counts. The er-4 has a totally effortless and detailed sound I'm lucky to have gotten back. What's even better is that I'm now running them out of a source better than my smartphone. The Onkyo DP-X1. It is such a pleasant experience. I'm glad I have them back. Now I'm waiting for the er-4sr. Can't wait! :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back