If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
May 31, 2016 at 3:41 AM Post #7,846 of 19,249

I paid well over 600 dollars for my ER4's back in the 90's. That was including a pretty nasty exchange rate though but still they have come down in prices. As for the others they do not need to lower prices as the rest of the market has taken it upon themselves to eclipse them in pricing rather than other areas.:)

My thoughts exactly.

May 31, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #7,848 of 19,249
So, sad news. The driver is blown. Even with the stock cable, the noise is definitely there, on all the tracks. It's a little less noticeable with the stock cable on certain tracks than it is with the aftermarket cable, but it is definitely there. There are a few tracks that are pretty severely affected, but a lot of tracks are more or less fine. Although once you hear the noise, you hear it even on those tracks that are mostly fine - it's a constant slight rattling that is always there.

It is definitely the earpiece, not the cable. The problem persists when switching to the stock cable, and also when switching earpieces to opposite sides the problem follows the earpiece.

So I still don't know what caused the driver to blow out, but I do know it's definitely blown. It doesn't sound like other types of broken drivers that I've heard in the past - broken drivers in different types of speakers and headphones and they usually sound horrible. This isn't like a ripped diaphragm on a regular headphone driver. This is more like an inability to produce certain specific frequencies - all the other frequencies are still reproduced beautifully, but certain specific ones cause a buzzing noise. It's like having a big beautiful window with a gorgeous view but a giant crack running down the middle. That's not even a good analogy because you can teach yourself to ignore the crack and enjoy the beautiful view, but in this case it's more like if certain colors weren't able to make it through your window and caused enough noise to take away your ability to enjoy the view.

At this point I honestly don't know what to do. The only thing left is to go back and look through all my receipts because I can't remember when the first set broke - if I was already using an aftermarket cable at that point or not. If all 3 broke with the aftermarket cable and the adapters, I might give Etymotic one more try and buy a pair and stick to the stock cable. If it turns out I was still using the stock cable back when my first set broke, I might give up completely and save my money for a K10 or Layla, or at least a XBA-Z5

May 31, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #7,849 of 19,249
  So, sad news. The driver is blown. Even with the stock cable, the noise is definitely there, on all the tracks. It's a little less noticeable with the stock cable on certain tracks than it is with the aftermarket cable, but it is definitely there. There are a few tracks that are pretty severely affected, but a lot of tracks are more or less fine. Although once you hear the noise, you hear it even on those tracks that are mostly fine - it's a constant slight rattling that is always there.

It is definitely the earpiece, not the cable. The problem persists when switching to the stock cable, and also when switching earpieces to opposite sides the problem follows the earpiece.

So I still don't know what caused the driver to blow out, but I do know it's definitely blown. It doesn't sound like other types of broken drivers that I've heard in the past - broken drivers in different types of speakers and headphones and they usually sound horrible. This isn't like a ripped diaphragm on a regular headphone driver. This is more like an inability to produce certain specific frequencies - all the other frequencies are still reproduced beautifully, but certain specific ones cause a buzzing noise. It's like having a big beautiful window with a gorgeous view but a giant crack running down the middle. That's not even a good analogy because you can teach yourself to ignore the crack and enjoy the beautiful view, but in this case it's more like if certain colors weren't able to make it through your window and caused enough noise to take away your ability to enjoy the view.

At this point I honestly don't know what to do. The only thing left is to go back and look through all my receipts because I can't remember when the first set broke - if I was already using an aftermarket cable at that point or not. If all 3 broke with the aftermarket cable and the adapters, I might give Etymotic one more try and buy a pair and stick to the stock cable. If it turns out I was still using the stock cable back when my first set broke, I might give up completely and save my money for a K10 or Layla, or at least a XBA-Z5

Does the aftermarket cable you use have a resistor in it or is just straight through?  You really want that extra resistance in there to limit the amount of current to the driver.  That could certainly explain why the receivers keep blowing up on you.

I'd really like to see if the receiver is actually blown or if it is mechanical shock damage (or some other issue that we haven't found yet).  Those are different things that could cause that sound you are describing but have different root causes.  Please send me a PM.  I have a proposal for you that I suspect you will find acceptable.

May 31, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #7,850 of 19,249
  wonder how the new er4 will enhance the original er4

biggrin.gif

May 31, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #7,851 of 19,249

Does the aftermarket cable you use have a resistor in it or is just straight through?  You really want that extra resistance in there to limit the amount of current to the driver.  That could certainly explain why the receivers keep blowing up on you.

I'd really like to see if the receiver is actually blown or if it is mechanical shock damage (or some other issue that we haven't found yet).  Those are different things that could cause that sound you are describing but have different root causes.  Please send me a PM.  I have a proposal for you that I suspect you will find acceptable.

The adapters that I use have a resistor, it is supposed to be the same resistor as in the ER4B cable. These are "awwan adapters" sold on ebay. They let you choose whether you want a P, or S, or B adapter. The cable has no resistor.

Sending you a PM now. Would appreciate any help in figuring out what is causing this, as I would prefer to stick with Etymotic and not have to search for another IEM. It's hard to like anything else after you get used to the ER4.

Cheers!

May 31, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #7,852 of 19,249
That's an interesting sounding cable.  I'll see if I can dig up some info on them.

Jun 1, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #7,853 of 19,249
  That's an interesting sounding cable.  I'll see if I can dig up some info on them.

Link to the "awwan" adapters that I and many others use to allow us to use aftermarket cables for our ER4s (three versions: B, P and S). This is the P version:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-ETYMOTIC-ER4-IN-EARPHONE-CABLE-ADAPTOR-P-SHURE-CABLE-VERSION-/291713126721

Cable noise is my biggest beef re the Etys, and these adapters also let me use a cable with remote/mic.
Here's a tutorial I wrote with pics:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/560401/etymotic-er-4-aftermarket-low-microphonics-cable#post_11353406

Jun 1, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #7,854 of 19,249
So I still don't know what caused the driver to blow out, but I do know it's definitely blown.

Would you like to send me a sample track of the vinyls you're listening to for me to analyze?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 1, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #7,855 of 19,249
Heard both of the most recent versions of the Roxanne and Layla recently, and both sounded a bit smeared imo. I've heard many multi driver iems, and JH always seems to strike me with this quality, although I haven't heard the Angie. I'm not sure whether my experience was an anomaly or this quality is more widely recognized. Do you find the Angie to sound different from the ER4 in a similar way? ... Suffice to say, I haven't heard any high priced iems that I feel have fewer sonic drawbacks than the ER4 ...

All I can say right now is that the Angies are "designed to be" more balanced (and flat) than the Roxannes but if you don't like the Layla then don't bother with the Angies. As for the "on-topic" Angies vs. Etys, still a WIP. I'll need to revert the Angies in "flat" mode (min = 8 o'clock on the dial = "flat" response) - I've added some lower end on them "to taste" (2 o'clock, with 4 o'clock being max). In order to be a correct comparison, I'll have to go back to flat
etysmile.gif

27192630692_2c7e6deea9.jpg

Jun 1, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #7,856 of 19,249
  All I can say right now is that the Angies are "designed to be" more balanced (and flat) than the Roxannes but if you don't like the Layla then don't bother with the Angies. As for the "on-topic" Angies vs. Etys, still a WIP. I'll need to revert the Angies in "flat" mode (min = 7 o'clock on the dial = "flat" response) - I've added some lower end on them "to taste" (2 o'clock, with 5 o'clock being max). In order to be a correct comparison, I'll have to go back to flat
etysmile.gif

27192630692_2c7e6deea9.jpg

out of the new series, rosie is the most balanced imo hehe

Jun 1, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #7,857 of 19,249
Hi, i bought my ER-4P a couple years ago, not knowing what they could offer and whit no headfi experience. I think i only used it a couple of times when the urge to buy grados and stax took my focus away from them.

Today i have owned Almost every Grado, Some Stax's, AKG, Ultrasone, etc. and today i own Audeze LCD-2 2.2 pre-fazor coupled whit Schiit Lyr amp.

To much money have been spent on the hunt for pure sound, and countless hours listening to different headphones etc. A quite depressing time really, thinking about all the wasted money. 

Well, I began to take whit me my ER-4P and my old iPod Classic 160gb out for a walk,  and noticed that they sounded pretty clean and crisp, and i kinda liked the way sound was presented to me, the bass and kick sounded tight and precise, with details i've never heard before, it was like having my favorite band or musician between my ears, flowing along whit my thoughts and my "inner self" (wow, i nearly got lost there for a moment! i have had som really deep thinking lately, Hehe) 

I was baffled about all the money i have spent to fint the perfect sound, when the reality is that i have had my favorite IEM lying in my drawer all these years without even knowing. 

I have now decided to sell my Audeze cans and Schiit amp.

But there is one thing i want to ask you guys, my ER-4P have no red spot on the Right plug, and also have a smaller 90deg connector that other ER-4 i have come over.

When did they start using read dot on right plug? and which model have bigger 90deg connector? and i have also seen some ER-4 whit blue outer housing on left and red on right.

I'm trying to figure out what production year my ER-4P are.

Thanks in advance.

I decided to add a picture of my ER-4P

Sorry if my writing is bad, i'm a Scandinavian :wink:

PS. First post after 5 years away from Head-Fi. Damn, time goes fast!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back