If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 11, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #3,916 of 19,246

I was actually thinking a quarter watt would be more than enough.

Probably yes, but I usually like to keep it a little high since there is no harm in doing so. Higher rated resistor tends to generate less heat, which might result in less theme noise. Of course I never measure them myself but at least that's the theory.

It should do. There are argument on which brand / type of  resistor sounds best but I usually like to keep it simple and opt for Vishay personally as much as I can, since it has been widely used for this kind of application.

My thoughts exactly on the heat and brand...

Feb 11, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #3,917 of 19,246
Well I've all but given up on over the ear wear for various reasons. Wore them down tonight with the shirt clip- seems fairly acceptable. I'll have to wear them out and about like this and see how well it holds microphonics at bay. At least the comply P's have resolved the comfort issues.

Luisdent has shared some good EQ options, so I thought I'd share mine (with red filters) and it's actually not too far from his.
30hz, Q=.5, +5db
2.4k, Q=2.5, -2db
7250hz, Q=5, +1db

This feels more neutral to my ears but even without eq, I can really enjoy them.

Feb 11, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #3,918 of 19,246
Well I've all but given up on over the ear wear for various reasons. Wore them down tonight with the shirt clip- seems fairly acceptable. I'll have to wear them out and about like this and see how well it holds microphonics at bay. At least the comply P's have resolved the comfort issues.

Luisdent has shared some good EQ options, so I thought I'd share mine (with red filters) and it's actually not too far from his.
30hz, Q=.5, +5db
2.4k, Q=2.5, -2db
7250hz, Q=5, +1db

This feels more neutral to my ears but even without eq, I can really enjoy them.

Out of curiosity did you ever try this? It's completely solved my over the ear issues. Comfort is great.

Also interesting you brought down the mids even with the reds. That would probably put your reds eq around 2k to be about 2db less than luisdent's eq on the greens. Personally I find the mids on the reds to be perfect. But lately luisdent's eq on the greens has really been doing it for me. So damn clear. I think an iem with this sound out of the box would change everything.

Feb 11, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #3,919 of 19,246
@luisdent Go with these. You'll have a much easier time implementing them into a cable/plug :) It also has a nice low temp. coefficient, so it'll stay at it's rated value when it heats up. Thin film resistors tend to be best for precision too. You could get a smaller package code, but it'll get tougher to solder if you don't have the proper equipment.
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/KOA-Speer/RN73H2BTTD75R0F100/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvdGkrng054t6qoiY5Nim39X6STl3RABns%3d

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #3,920 of 19,246
Here is an article that might interest anyone who are looking for resistor's SQ:
http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1278251&piddl_msgpage=1#msgs

Seems like bulk foil wins the day.

p/s: really expensive stuff too.

Feb 12, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #3,921 of 19,246
Feb 12, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #3,922 of 19,246
Excellent info. I wonder how audible the differences are with only the two inline resistors, as opposed to having many in an amp design. Is that why the ety adapter is $50? $25 per resistor? :p

I think I read it somewhere Ety use your typical metal film on their adapter. Material cost isn't equal to price tag in the headphone world, or else 95% of all headphones shouldn't cost more than $100. It is usually the hidden cost of running a business that makes thing much more expensive.

Feb 12, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #3,926 of 19,246

I think I read it somewhere Ety use your typical metal film on their adapter. Material cost isn't equal to price tag in the headphone world, or else 95% of all headphones shouldn't cost more than $100. It is usually the hidden cost of running a business that makes thing much more expensive.

Yeah you can tell by looking at the resistors inside the pod that they are metal films. Most modern-day amps use metal films. Only in some cases will you see carbon and oxides, primarily in tube amps. 

Feb 13, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #3,927 of 19,246
I haven't used my ER4p phones for a couple of years.  They were purchased around 2002, and generally used with a Xin SuperMacro IV amp.
In the past few years, I've been using some other IEMs and headphones, but I do miss the ETY sound.
I'm resurrecting that system, but found that the (original non-twisted) cables were split/cracked. 
I sent them back to Etymotic for a cable repair, and they just informed me that the unit should be replaced instead of repaired because there was also a problem with the transducers. 
So, for $130 they should be sending a replacement unit soon. 
I am looking forward to having the music back in my head.

Feb 13, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #3,928 of 19,246
I haven't used my ER4p phones for a couple of years.  They were purchased around 2002, and generally used with a Xin SuperMacro IV amp.
In the past few years, I've been using some other IEMs and headphones, but I do miss the ETY sound.
I'm resurrecting that system, but found that the (original non-twisted) cables were split/cracked. 
I sent them back to Etymotic for a cable repair, and they just informed me that the unit should be replaced instead of repaired because there was also a problem with the transducers. 
So, for $130 they should be sending a replacement unit soon. 
I am looking forward to having the music back in my head.
Pretty good deal. Out of warranty. So you're basically getting a new set at least 50% off. :)

Feb 13, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #3,929 of 19,246
A fair deal.  Likely no accessories, and definitely no warranty (I asked about it).  I'll report back about whatever arrives.

Feb 13, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #3,930 of 19,246
I thought Etymotic can do better than that with out-of-warranty iem. Unless they changed their policy, I was able to be a brand new, retail version (all accessories and sealed box) of the ER4S (I was able to specifically choose the ER4S from the ER4PT) for the out-of-warranty program price of $179+shipping when my out-of-warranty HF2 got damaged early last year.  I didn't ask about the warranty on the ER4S, but since it was brand new and sealed, directly from Etymotic, I assumed it carried the usual 2-year warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back