If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 9, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #3,886 of 19,253
You can always cut the last flange off the big tri-flange  (which turns it into a bi-flange) and see if that helps, or better yet, try to use some Shure black foam - just as good a seal as Etymotic foam, but won't degrade as fast.

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #3,887 of 19,253
  You can always cut the last flange off the big tri-flange  (which turns it into a bi-flange) and see if that helps, or better yet, try to use some Shure black foam - just as good a seal as Etymotic foam, but won't degrade as fast.

I have cut the last flange off, but it makes the edge of what's left a bit sharp the way it lies in the ear.  I've cut them twice the second time trying to be perfectly straight, but the same issue happened.

I don't have a problem with the ety foam degrading really, I just can't get them as deep as the tri flange or comply foam tips.  They're too thick.  The comply foam lets me get just as deep as the triple flange and much more comfortable.  They just wear out the fastest and cost the most. :p

I haven't tried shure foam.  Do those tips fit the er4s stock?  Link to which ones perhaps?  If you mean the "black foam" tips, do they compress enough to let me get them as deep as i put my comply tips?  I get those babies really deep.  I thought I had a pair of shure foam tips once with an earphone i tested, and if i'm not mistaken, they expand quicker which would make it hard to get them super deep...

Feb 9, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #3,888 of 19,253
I.m having the same problem with the last flange like luisdent. I'll be so happy to find a permanent solution to this because the Comply foam tips is cutting to much of the high frequencies for me. Anybody has any experience with the custom tips in comparison to the stock Ety triflanges?

Feb 9, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #3,889 of 19,253
I.m having the same problem with the last flange like luisdent. I'll be so happy to find a permanent solution to this because the Comply foam tips is cutting to much of the high frequencies for me. Anybody has any experience with the custom tips in comparison to the stock Ety triflanges?

If you can tell the difference between tri flange and comply treble and you think it's too much change.... Don't go there. Maybe you'd be one of a rare few that likes them, but the treble peaks you'll get will be MUCH more noticeable on the customs...

Feb 9, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #3,890 of 19,253
Thanks for the info luisdent. I found that if I insert the stock triflange too deeply then the treble extension suffers. The treble extension comes back if I slightly back off the insertion (just a tiny bit without breaking the seal). I don't know if anybody has experienced the same situation or is it just my ear canals.....
biggrin.gif

Feb 9, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #3,891 of 19,253
Thanks for the info luisdent. I found that if I insert the stock triflange too deeply then the treble extension suffers. The treble extension comes back if I slightly back off the insertion (just a tiny bit without breaking the seal). I don't know if anybody has experienced the same situation or is it just my ear canals.....:D  

Not sure. Never noticed it do that really. But the custom response is usually much greater than any tip change...

Feb 9, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #3,892 of 19,253

I have cut the last flange off, but it makes the edge of what's left a bit sharp the way it lies in the ear.  I've cut them twice the second time trying to be perfectly straight, but the same issue happened.

I don't have a problem with the ety foam degrading really, I just can't get them as deep as the tri flange or comply foam tips.  They're too thick.  The comply foam lets me get just as deep as the triple flange and much more comfortable.  They just wear out the fastest and cost the most. :p

I haven't tried shure foam.  Do those tips fit the er4s stock?  Link to which ones perhaps?  If you mean the "black foam" tips, do they compress enough to let me get them as deep as i put my comply tips?  I get those babies really deep.  I thought I had a pair of shure foam tips once with an earphone i tested, and if i'm not mistaken, they expand quicker which would make it hard to get them super deep...

Shure foam won't compress as far as Ety's foam, unfortunately. But you can try a small Shure black foam instead of the mid size and that will get it in deeper. The small Shure black foam is roughly equal to the first two flanges of Eyt's tri-flange. Well, maybe just a bit bigger.

Yes, you can get the Shure foam to fit on ER4, just require slightly more force to push it in.

Check this out: http://www.head-fi.org/t/304963/fyi-various-iems-tips-pictorial-comparison-updated-sept-29th-2011

If there is very noticeable treble cut, that means you are inserting the foam tip incorrectly. When you compressing the foam before inserting, always push the foam near the nozzle backward so when they expend back in your ear canal, they will stay clean of the nozzle and won't obstruct the sound. Some even go as far as cutting away the foam near the nozzle.

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #3,894 of 19,253
Luisdent that means your tips are slightly too big. The biflanges I use are a bit smaller and so don't fold in on themselves like the tri-flange.

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #3,895 of 19,253

Shure foam won't compress as far as Ety's foam, unfortunately. But you can try a small Shure black foam instead of the mid size and that will get it in deeper. The small Shure black foam is roughly equal to the first two flanges of Eyt's tri-flange. Well, maybe just a bit bigger.

Yes, you can get the Shure foam to fit on ER4, just require slightly more force to push it in.

Check this out: http://www.head-fi.org/t/304963/fyi-various-iems-tips-pictorial-comparison-updated-sept-29th-2011

If there is very noticeable treble cut, that means you are inserting the foam tip incorrectly. When you compressing the foam before inserting, always push the foam near the nozzle backward so when they expend back in your ear canal, they will stay clean of the nozzle and won't obstruct the sound. Some even go as far as cutting away the foam near the nozzle.

Yes, with comply foam tips I make sure I'm slightly pulling the foam towards the housing as I compress it to prevent any occlusion of the opening.  If I do this an insert them very deeply i have little to no treble reduction at all.  It might be very minute, but it's a small enough change that it's very hard for me to easily hear a difference in the time it takes to swap tips...

Feb 9, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #3,897 of 19,253
I'm thinking about getting a cheaper set of iems, but I was wondering whether I should go for the er4s or the er4p. I won't be using them with a stand alone amp, but I'm planning on getting the fiio x5 to use with them. Which would be better? I'm just thinking that if you can up the gain with the x5, then would it be suitable enough for the er4s? Or would I be better off getting the extension wire for the er4p? 

Feb 9, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #3,898 of 19,253
I'm thinking about getting a cheaper set of iems, but I was wondering whether I should go for the er4s or the er4p. I won't be using them with a stand alone amp, but I'm planning on getting the fiio x5 to use with them. Which would be better? I'm just thinking that if you can up the gain with the x5, then would it be suitable enough for the er4s? Or would I be better off getting the extension wire for the er4p? 

The er4s is fine with no amp unless your player is sub standard volume. Anything close to an ipod level output is fine. The s is still superior to the p. Unless you prefer the more laid back p sound at the cost of accuracy..,

Feb 10, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #3,899 of 19,253

Get the ER4PT (which already replaces ER4P) as it includes the P-to-S adapter so you are effectively having two ER4. X5 is very powerful, much more than what ER4S is needed, so no worry there.

Feb 10, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #3,900 of 19,253
I'm currently rocking the huge yellow ety foams! They look absurd, are a real pain to insert properly and get dirty very quickly but the isolation and sound/detail levels are insane! 

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back