If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 7, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #3,856 of 19,256
I just purchased a pair of ER4PT that came with the ER4S adapter and now I'm wondering whether I should have bought the ER4S instead. I know that the flexibility of having amped and unamped is nice on paper, but do any of the etymotic lovers actually run the ER4P unamped? Or is the improvement noticeable enough that it's silly to use the ER4P when you could use the ER4S instead? 

Feb 7, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #3,857 of 19,256
  I just purchased a pair of ER4PT that came with the ER4S adapter and now I'm wondering whether I should have bought the ER4S instead. I know that the flexibility of having amped and unamped is nice on paper, but do any of the etymotic lovers actually run the ER4P unamped? Or is the improvement noticeable enough that it's silly to use the ER4P when you could use the ER4S instead? 

There's so many variables that your question really can't be answered by one of us. Only you can make that determination yourself :)

Feb 7, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #3,858 of 19,256
^ That is correct. You have to answer that. 

Quote:

However, for me, I won't bother with the P or running the S without an amp. YMMV. 

Feb 7, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #3,859 of 19,256

I personally never would, but that's just me.  I can run the er4s straight from an ipod type player with no loss of quality and plenty of power for almost all music.  Some like the er4p over the er4s in general, but i think the er4s is simply a less crippled er4.  The er4p is essentially the same phone with less treble.  Therefore, I'd never sacrifice the treble for a bit of amplification I don't need.  Otherwise, it doesn't hurt having the 4p with adapter, as the sound should be the same.  It's just an extra adapter...  Try it out a bit.  If you think you'll never use the er4p at all why not return it for the er4s?  If you do, then keep it...

Feb 7, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #3,861 of 19,256
I must add that I didn't bother to purchase the ER-4PT for a lower impedance option. I just bought an ER-4S instead as it is also very easy to drive. I'm used to using 300 Ohm Sennheiser headphones which aren't too difficult to drive either so the ER-4S (which has about one third of the impedance of these) can be driven to acceptable listening levels without an amplifier, IMO. The ER-4S sounds fantastic just straight from my laptop headphone jack, I think. An amplifier, fed from a DAC, will certainly improve the sonic performance though.

Feb 7, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #3,862 of 19,256
I must add that I didn't bother to purchase the ER-4PT for a lower impedance option. I just bought an ER-4S instead as it is also very easy to drive. I'm used to using 300 Ohm Sennheiser headphones which aren't too difficult to drive either so the ER-4S (which has about one third of the impedance of these) can be driven to acceptable listening levels without an amplifier, IMO. The ER-4S sounds fantastic just straight from my laptop headphone jack, I think. An amplifier, fed from a DAC, will certainly improve the sonic performance though.

I think this fact is greatly exaggerated though. I did double blind tests with amps vs ipod and heard no difference at all. Not that some amps won't sound different, but not a lot better. If anything more different is likely. I'll take my er4s on any device. It plays very well with different output impedances too...

Feb 8, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #3,863 of 19,256
Listening with DX50 line out -> O2 with Er4p2s. Music came forward, gears disappeared. Training ears to take Triple flanges is rewarding experience IMO, the isolation and sound quality is top notch. Can't believe single BA earphone can provide this level of sound quality, it also proves point why Etymotic even after two decades, never ventured into multi armature or hybrid designs. Now I want to try every Ety earphones like hf/mc, buy a custom flange from ACS and finally buy a used er4 to do Lear full custom reshelling!

Feb 8, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #3,864 of 19,256
Listening with DX50 line out -> O2 with Er4p2s. Music came forward, gears disappeared. Training ears to take Triple flanges is rewarding experience IMO, the isolation and sound quality is top notch. Can't believe single BA earphone can provide this level of sound quality, it also proves point why Etymotic even after two decades, never ventured into multi armature or hybrid designs. Now I want to try every Ety earphones like hf/mc, buy a custom flange from ACS and finally buy a used er4 to do Lear full custom reshelling!

I've tried a LOT of earphones, and ironically every single one that is my top favorite has been a single BA.  ER4S, PFE112, BA200.  All very good and single BA.  Some of the worst I've heard have been 3 or 4 driver units.  Not that it can't be the other way around too, but it's just ironic.  More isn't always better.

Feb 8, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #3,865 of 19,256

I've tried a LOT of earphones, and ironically every single one that is my top favorite has been a single BA.  ER4S, PFE112, BA200.  All very good and single BA.  Some of the worst I've heard have been 3 or 4 driver units.  Not that it can't be the other way around too, but it's just ironic.  More isn't always better.

BA200 is dual BA but yeah, the er4s is seriously impressive for a single BA created two decades ago. I personally haven't heard a dual or triple BA that I like as much as the ety. Now, the Noble 4 is another thing but it's quite the achievement for the ety that it takes a current gen quad BA to beat a 20-year-old single BA design and honestly some people might still prefer the er4.

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #3,866 of 19,256
For me the noble 4 just isn't as accurate and is less enjoyable, especially in treble. But I also enjoy the er4s and f111 more than my jh13 I had at the time. There is certainly something about these two single ba's that sound special to me. I'm looking forward to see how the Custom Art Music Two, dual BA, compares soon.

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #3,867 of 19,256
For me the noble 4 just isn't as accurate and is less enjoyable, especially in treble. But I also enjoy the er4s and f111 more than my jh13 I had at the time. There is certainly something about these two single ba's that sound special to me. I'm looking forward to see how the Custom Art Music Two, dual BA, compares soon.

Well, that's where personal preference comes into play and why I said that some people might still prefer the er4 coz "enjoyable" is something that varies from person to person. As far as accuracy, I already stated my opinion that I don't agree. The N4 just sounds more lifelike with its note thickness and the vocal tonality is just spot-on, which makes it the better reference iem IMO, while the er4 is slightly more on the analytical side but still one of my most favorite iems. Now I'm kinda wondering how that Primo 8 will fare against the er4s and the N4.

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #3,868 of 19,256
My reference to accuracy is about frequency response. The noble 4 had a fairly large lower treble peak around 6.5k, so this isn't about preference for me in looking for a flatter iem.

That being said, flat FR isn't necessarily required for a great sounding iem- I love the k3003 and think its treble has awesome timbre but it's FR isn't flat in the treble region. But I do find in general, the flatter the treble response, the more realistic and better it sounds. Plus treble peaks usually annoy me over a period of time, so if an iem has one or more that is easily heard, it's usually time to move on.

Feb 8, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #3,869 of 19,256
Well, as I said - personal preference, just like in ClieOS iem thread balanced equals V-shaped, which is something I don't agree with. Personally, I don't mind slightly hot lower treble but I don't find the N4 treble hot at all - it's just right but I guess YMMV depending on the tips used, insertion depth and the ear canal itself. 
 I rarely care about FR charts coz they don't show everything - just give a general idea of the presentation but you can't really get info about speed, attack, decay, tone, note thickness, separation, layering, positioning etc. 
Don't get me wrong, I love the er4s but there's just something about the N4 - it sounds more realistic. With the er4s I can listen to some high-quality classical music or just some great acoustic stuff and be impressed by the clarity and detail and then I put on the N4 and I'm not just impressed - I'm smiling. Then I play some Metallica slightly worried whether the N4 will handle it and realize I'm smiling again hearing just the right tone, sweetness and clarity in James Hetfield's voice. 

There's really no need to argue, which one is better in the er4's thread - the N4 is better 
tongue.gif
. Just kidding - both are great iems but the N4 IMO is a bit more realistic sounding and a tad more versatile.

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #3,870 of 19,256
Received the comply P tips. Fan-freaking-tastic! Better sound than the trips for me due to better seal. The bass is even better and no loss in treble sparkle and extension.

Comfort seems better, so hopefully that holds up over longer listening sessions. Also have mooses9 over the ear adapters coming in any day. Hopefully those will end my aggravation of these being designed to wear down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back