If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 22, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #14,896 of 19,251

Official ER2, ER3, and ER4 graphs. The ER2 is the brightest of them all unfortunately. ER3 has the most correct 9K-16K tuning in my opinion but has even more subdued 5-8K than the ER4 which makes it more muddy.
Keep in mind that those graphs may or may not be average graphs from many measurements. As the intent on those is clearly to show the bass variation of the XR model, they might not have bothered with a statistical analysis over hundreds of pairs. So for all I know, 3 pairs of ER2 could show graphs with more variations between them than what we're seeing here against ER3 and 4. Or maybe not, my point is that we're not sure until we get many measurements or more information from the very people who did those 3 graphs.

Also be really careful before drawing universal conclusions about high frequency(be it on measurements or subjective experience). Because the tiniest change in insertion can easily cause the type of differences seen in those graphs. Here the treble of the er2 could hypothetically come from an er3 or 4 except that the 9 or 10kHz resonance has been shifted above by a different insertion and is now adding up to another bump past 10kHz? Or maybe those graphs do show the typical differences with the exact same insertion. Again I don't know enough to totally reject either possibility. maybe all you said is generally accurate. I'm only suggesting caution when trying to interpret those graphs.

Feb 22, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #14,897 of 19,251
Keep in mind that those graphs may or may not be average graphs from many measurements. As the intent on those is clearly to show the bass variation of the XR model, they might not have bothered with a statistical analysis over hundreds of pairs. So for all I know, 3 pairs of ER2 could show graphs with more variations between them than what we're seeing here against ER3 and 4. Or maybe not, my point is that we're not sure until we get many measurements or more information from the very people who did those 3 graphs.

Also be really careful before drawing universal conclusions about high frequency(be it on measurements or subjective experience). Because the tiniest change in insertion can easily cause the type of differences seen in those graphs. Here the treble of the er2 could hypothetically come from an er3 or 4 except that the 9 or 10kHz resonance has been shifted above by a different insertion and is now adding up to another bump past 10kHz? Or maybe those graphs do show the typical differences with the exact same insertion. Again I don't know enough to totally reject either possibility. maybe all you said is generally accurate. I'm only suggesting caution when trying to interpret those graphs.
Those are straight from the retail boxes of each model and to my ears they are the most accurate, at least in the case of the ER3XR and ER4XR. ER2 measures brighter on oratory's graph too.

Insertion tip and depth will change the treble, yeah, and those official graphs simulate the big triple flange tip at adequate insertion depth (i.e. all the way in, 98% isolation/no bass leak).

Feb 22, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #14,898 of 19,251
i found ER4P second hand for 64$ but i have already ER4S, do you guys think it is a good idea to buy them to have a spare?
the price is very low

if it's in good working condition, buy it

Feb 23, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #14,900 of 19,251
i purchased the ER4P, they are with standard green filters, from my experiments with Audiosense T800 i have brown knowles filters, my idea is to put the brown filters on the ER4P and use my ER4S that i have now with the green dampers, that way i will have different flavor from both earphones
i love the ER4S, they were the reason for selling all my full size headphones and desktop amps, they sound so clean and just right

Feb 23, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #14,901 of 19,251
i found ER4P second hand for 64$ but i have already ER4S, do you guys think it is a good idea to buy them to have a spare?
the price is very low
ER4P is the same as ER4S except for the nominal in-line impedance. ER4P has a nominal impedance of 27 Ohm while the ER4S has 100 Ohm. You can get the Etymotic ER38-24 adapter to bring the ER4P up to 100 Ohm. I believe that the ER4PT model included the adapter. (see here)

Cheers... Brian

Feb 23, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #14,904 of 19,251
i purchased the ER4P, they are with standard green filters, from my experiments with Audiosense T800 i have brown knowles filters, my idea is to put the brown filters on the ER4P and use my ER4S that i have now with the green dampers, that way i will have different flavor from both earphones
i love the ER4S, they were the reason for selling all my full size headphones and desktop amps, they sound so clean and just right

put some 73-75 ohm impedance adapter on that ER4P, and you'll get a spare ER4S :grin: :thumbsup:

Feb 23, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #14,905 of 19,251
put some 73-75 ohm impedance adapter on that ER4P, and you'll get a spare ER4S :grin: :thumbsup:
i know that i have the adapter, my ER4S is with aftermarket balanced cable with 100ohm resistor in it, i have the adapter from the packaging
here is my balanced ER4S :heart_eyes:
9940948_l.jpg

Feb 24, 2020 at 3:55 AM Post #14,908 of 19,251
also one thing i noticed that is not very good, after a couple of hours using the ER4S everything after that sound wrong, like very colored, it is hard to go back to the colored earphones after that
I know that feeling coming from ER4SR. Spent two full afternoons last week auditing different headphones with no luck. Both days when leaving the store and plugged in my ER4 it was just bliss. Nothing I have heard to date can match the Ettys. Don't know if that's a good thing though. The Neumann NDH20 came close with some EQ. Now with the new dual flange tips I can ware them the whole day I think so I guess endgame is kinda proper to use here? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back