If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 24, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #14,911 of 19,243
True, The ER4S is what a lot Closed back headphones wish they were. The soundstage on them still wider/3D than what a lot reviews let on?.
Also probably the most flat (in front of you image) that you can get at that price. Even my LCD-2 doesn't quite project quite the same sort of image (it's more of a through your head presentation).

Feb 24, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #14,912 of 19,243
True, The ER4S is what a lot Closed back headphones wish they were. The soundstage on them still wider/3D than what a lot reviews let on?.
I think so personally. It’s still not the biggest stage obviously and it’s not like wearing a full sized set but it’s more open sounding than I expected from reviews I read. However, I feel you need a good source to get them to open up. They sound more congested out of my phone but wider and more precise through my portable amp.

Feb 24, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #14,913 of 19,243
I think so personally. It’s still not the biggest stage obviously and it’s not like wearing a full sized set but it’s more open sounding than I expected from reviews I read. However, I feel you need a good source to get them to open up. They sound more congested out of my phone but wider and more precise through my portable amp.
The openness is caused by the boost in the high treble starting at 10K. A region that is elevated about 2-3 dB compared to the reference Etymotic target. I'm guessing they chose to boost the high treble to compensate for the missing 6-8K (about 4 dB below the Etymotic target).

Feb 24, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #14,914 of 19,243

It highly depends on the music used too, Which I've noticed. So it not forcing it on everything like other closed backs or IEM's do. Which makes sense since its mainly a Studio focused IEM, Some ER4S reviews can get almost hyperbolic with it being "2D the headphone". The imaging is the ER4's strongest point in my view.

Feb 24, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #14,916 of 19,243
They look a lot like the one's I have on my aftermarket cable
For reference, here are the stock connectors compared with the aftermarkets. Huge difference.
FWIW - been using the stock cable, and they are much more comfortable now ... I feel the discomfort I'm associating with these, is not inside the ear, but at the entry point. The smaller connector means less contact with the ear. Still very aware of these, but feel like I can wear them longer now.

Attachments

• IMG_20200225_105825.jpg
    IMG_20200225_105825.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200225_105958.jpg
    IMG_20200225_105958.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 0
Feb 25, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #14,919 of 19,243
I think part of this has to do with bass roll off. This isn't a big deal for me because each distinct sound is so precise and clear that I can hear every detail.
If you don't mind my asking, which source do you use? I've been interested in experimenting with different sources for a while (like the iBasso dx200/220) to see what all the hype is about.

Feb 25, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #14,920 of 19,243
I think part of this has to do with bass roll off. This isn't a big deal for me because each distinct sound is so precise and clear that I can hear every detail.
If you don't mind my asking, which source do you use? I've been interested in experimenting with different sources for a while (like the iBasso dx200/220) to see what all the hype is about.
Fiio Q1 Mk II. Nice little portable unit.

Feb 25, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #14,921 of 19,243
Have been using ER4XR / ER2XR with Fiio Q5 / AM3B combo, it sounds wonderful.

Feb 25, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #14,922 of 19,243
i found ER4P second hand for 64$ but i have already ER4S, do you guys think it is a good idea to buy them to have a spare?
the price is very low

Absolutely.
At this price it is a steal, i really like the P series alone, and you only need an adapter to turn it into an S. I’d go for it in a heartbeat.

edit: just realized I’m 2 pages late, but whatever.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #14,923 of 19,243
Absolutely.
At this price it is a steal, i really like the P series alone, and you only need an adapter to turn it into an S. I’d go for it in a heartbeat.

edit: just realized I’m 2 pages late, but whatever.
they shipped them today, i am very exited i don't know why, i know the sound, i have the resistor, i am just happy that i will have a spare of my all time favorite earphone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back