If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jun 11, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #13,517 of 19,292
I notice that the volume seems to "increase" when I use the foamies vs using the triflanges on my ER2. The triflanges give a great seal (can't hear a thing) but are still a tick or two below in perceived volume compared to the foams. Is there any reason why? I don't feel any particular amount of pressure in my ears when using the triflanges.

I'll say it is likely a change of decay (which affects thinkness) and probably a slight change of FR curve that caused the difference in perception.

Jun 11, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #13,518 of 19,292
Yes I was going to mention that, that is potentially dangerous/illegal specially considering the massive isolation of these....

Probably, but headphone with little noise isolation which requires huge volume boost to overcome surrounding noise isn't exactly safe either, not to mention the high possibility of hearing damage.

Jun 12, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #13,519 of 19,292
HIby W5 + ER2SE

W5-ER2.JPG

Jun 13, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #13,522 of 19,292
Has Etymotic changed the standard eartips? I just got an Er4sr and the tips were smaller, not as long and more narrow than the standard that came with Er3se. The new ones do not give the same seal, with less bass and general thinness to tone. When I used the old ones from the Er3 the sound all came together. Is this just variation or have the specs changed? I need more tips but I don't want the new ones if they are this way now. Anyone have suggestions to an equivalent from another source, if I can no longer get the same from Etymotic? Even small changes seem to make a difference with Etymotic, which speaks somewhat to the transparency. If the new ones are different I don't have tips that work at the moment other than the one pair from the Er3.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #13,523 of 19,292
Has Etymotic changed the standard eartips? I just got an Er4sr and the tips were smaller, not as long and more narrow than the standard that came with Er3se. The new ones do not give the same seal, with less bass and general thinness to tone. When I used the old ones from the Er3 the sound all came together. Is this just variation or have the specs changed? I need more tips but I don't want the new ones if they are this way now. Anyone have suggestions to an equivalent from another source, if I can no longer get the same from Etymotic? Even small changes seem to make a difference with Etymotic, which speaks somewhat to the transparency. If the new ones are different I don't have tips that work at the moment other than the one pair from the Er3.
Yes they changed the tip sizes. Only the foam tips work well for me now as they do not make the old gray bigger tips anymore.

Jun 13, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #13,527 of 19,292
I tried them a couple times and could not get a good sound compared to the regular tips, and just left them after that. not enough depth was the problem likely.

There should be a pair of large tri-flanges also included in the package, no? To be clear, both smaller (now called 'standard') tri-flanges and larger (now called 'large') tri-flanges are included in the package - the only difference is, in the past, that Ety used to put the larger tri-flanges on the IEM and the smaller tri-flanges are in the box in the past; Now they put the smaller tri-flanges on the IEM while leaving the larger tri-flanges in the box.

As far as I know, you can still place order on the older grey large tri-flanges from Etymotic.

Jun 14, 2019 at 3:57 AM Post #13,530 of 19,292
Is it better than the FiiO BTR1K (or the BTR3)? It's all touch and no volume operation on the unit, right?

Never listened to BTR1K before, so I can't say for sure - but given I do find it better sounding than BTR3, so my guess is it probably is better.

Yes, all touch and no volume control - there is however high/low gain control from the app, besides volume control from smartphone. I do want to point out that touch control, as fancy as it is, is less than ideal in real life usage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back