If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Sep 12, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #12,226 of 19,251
I don't make claim that my cable will bring any sonic improvement (*but if you do find it to sound better, all the better). They are only meant to be functional replacement with better ergonomics.
I found that your cable brought absolutely zero increase or decrease in sound quality, but it is undeniably more ergonomic on go for anyone that isn't 7 feet tall (213cm) or greater.

Sep 12, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #12,227 of 19,251
yes on the device implementation. a good design is good a bad design sucks, no matter if it's single ended or not.
but I have to disagree about gain switch. because they too can be implemented in different ways. on some devices the gain switch is there to better match the input signal(input gain switch). on DAPs that particular design is often irrelevant as the source tends to stay the same and the gain might be no more than a glorified extra volume level setting. or the low gain could be designed specifically to handle low impedance loads, while the high gain might not measure great into 16ohm, but better serve a 150 or 300ohm headphone with lower sensitivity, thanks to the higher voltage gain. often with that in mind the impedance output may change with the gain selected. that of course opens the door to other possible changes in IEMs with non flat impedance response.
so we can range from your point being correct, to having virtually no difference while using the IEM(sometimes not even in noise floor), all depending on the device's own design(again).

also it's a real PITA to properly check for sound differences when the listening level can't be matched. because loudness difference is a sound difference indeed, and our brain is very partial to loudness from a psychoacoustic point of view. so that alone makes testing gain switches and balanced VS single ended by ear, a real tricky challenge.

all right, er4, was that the topic back in the day? ^_^ sorry guys.
I can only say that I use my er4sr all the time. almost exclusively so nowadays while my other IEMs just hang there(literally). just a little bass boost lower and a little less than the xr because I like it better that way, and all is well IMO. I could do with the cable 10cm shorter. but so far it didn't bother me enough to try and get another cable. I really like to complain, but the list is rather short here. I'm just a very satisfied customer.

i used to play guitar and likes to record a lot, not so much nowadays though (because kids, jobs, that kind of stuff) and i approach that gain switch like i use overdrive pedals and preamps, i know it is not scientifically correct, but it sounds good to my ears :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

my personal basic rule of thumb is that anything under 32 ohms should use the first gain settings (if for instance we use the usual three gaon switch on DAPs like Fiios or Cayins) , and 32 up to 100 can use up to second gain, and third gain settings for 100 and up. also of course to decrease the volume down first before hitting the gain up so not to damage the earphones and more importantly the ears (reminder to @Colors too, because i forgot to mention this before). some might not like the "dirty" sound resulted from the overdriving the signal, but i like it in some cases.

Sep 12, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #12,228 of 19,251
i used to play guitar and likes to record a lot, not so much nowadays though (because kids, jobs, that kind of stuff) and i approach that gain switch like i use overdrive pedals and preamps, i know it is not scientifically correct, but it sounds good to my ears :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

my personal basic rule of thumb is that anything under 32 ohms should use the first gain settings (if for instance we use the usual three gaon switch on DAPs like Fiios or Cayins) , and 32 up to 100 can use up to second gain, and third gain settings for 100 and up. also of course to decrease the volume down first before hitting the gain up so not to damage the earphones and more importantly the ears (reminder to @Colors too, because i forgot to mention this before). some might not like the "dirty" sound resulted from the overdriving the signal, but i like it in some cases.
:wink:
unless I know what I'm dealing with, I tend to just set low gain and go up only if the low setting doesn't get loud enough. in the "20 signs you're basic", they have my way to approach gain listed at 7.

Sep 13, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #12,229 of 19,251
I am using high gain on my dap when using the 4sr. On my iphone, I need to crank the volume up to 70-80% for it to sing.

Sep 13, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #12,230 of 19,251
I am using high gain on my dap when using the 4sr. On my iphone, I need to crank the volume up to 70-80% for it to sing.

I see you have good taste in earphones and DAPs.

Sep 13, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #12,231 of 19,251
Wow. When using the ER4XR I usually set the volume between 3 and 5 out of 16 on my iPhone 7 Plus. So 20-30% roughly. Can’t imagine listening at 70-80% and not being deaf already.

Sep 13, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #12,232 of 19,251
I see you have good taste in earphones and DAPs.

They're what I can only afford right now. Lol though I've been trying a lot of new iems lately I can say the 4sr and ex1000 will keep the wallet safe for the time being. :ksc75smile:

Sep 13, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #12,233 of 19,251
Wow. When using the ER4XR I usually set the volume between 3 and 5 out of 16 on my iPhone 7 Plus. So 20-30% roughly. Can’t imagine listening at 70-80% and not being deaf already.

I don't really listen loudly but the 4sr is really lifeless to me at very low volume but I don't frequently listen to the iphone nowadays.

Sep 19, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #12,234 of 19,251
Just finish making a right angled adapter for my ER4SR. It fits quite well with FiiO BTR3 and short MMCX cable.

DSC_0148a_resize.JPG

DSC_0150a_resize.JPG

Sep 19, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #12,235 of 19,251
ClieOS, is that short cable good?? All the little BT amps and more M0 size clip on players is nice but few are getting the hint/idea to make short cables for us.

Sep 19, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #12,236 of 19,251
ClieOS, is that short cable good?? All the little BT amps and more M0 size clip on players is nice but few are getting the hint/idea to make short cables for us.

I got 4 of them already - won't get so many if they didn't do their job. This particular FiiO cable is called LC-3.5AS. There is also a LC-3.5BS with better cable, but I don't like its thicker / over-the-ear design.

Sep 20, 2018 at 4:33 AM Post #12,237 of 19,251
Will any mmcx connector fit the 4sr with no problem?

Sep 20, 2018 at 5:01 AM Post #12,238 of 19,251
Will any mmcx connector fit the 4sr with no problem?

Most mmcx will fit, but also will rotate freely. The connector I used is specific for ER4SR/XR and will lock into the notch on the driver to stop it from from rotating.

Sep 22, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #12,239 of 19,251
about to pull the trigger on the ER4SR,

but i alr have the MD+

reckon the diff will be substantial?

i hope to have one IEM accurate to the recording, 1 strictly for vocals, 1 w a touch more low end and another fun sounding

something like that ^ for a collection

Users who are viewing this thread

Back