If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Sep 24, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #12,242 of 19,246
I’m not sure bout the 4S, but my 4SR plays loudly from any competent sources, except my older iPods that hiss too audibly at higher volume. I mainly use them with Shanling M0 or iPhone 4 + FiiO A5 for finer analog volume control (iOS volume steps suck).

Pink Floyd yes!! Animals is one of the most enjoyable albums to listen to with etys just behind Meddle imo. Just shows what good mastering can reward you with when you use the er4.

Sep 24, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #12,243 of 19,246
I just hope it won’t sound too similar to the MDP

Might be a problem here...I sold my MD+ and ER4XR after getting the ER4SR. I found them to be very similar (neutral or more less) and there was no point in having all three. If you had had to get a ER4 though when you already have a MD+, I recommend the ER4SR instead. It's like the MD+ / ER4XR without the bass boost.

Sep 24, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #12,244 of 19,246
Might be a problem here...I sold my MD+ and ER4XR after getting the ER4SR. I found them to be very similar (neutral or more less) and there was no point in having all three. If you had had to get a ER4 though when you already have a MD+, I recommend the ER4SR instead. It's like the MD+ / ER4XR without the bass boost.

SR should be more resolving and revealing than MD+ I presume?

Sep 24, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #12,245 of 19,246

i also enjoy using the ER4XR with the PtoS impedance adapter. clearer mid and treble, reduced midbass, but still have a deep subbass extension

Sep 24, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #12,246 of 19,246
i also enjoy using the ER4XR with the PtoS impedance adapter. clearer mid and treble, reduced midbass, but still have a deep subbass extension

ER4SR has like no sub-bass -_-; It’s there and quality is good, but quantity is very little.

Sep 25, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #12,247 of 19,246
I’ve tried the ER4XR and ER4SR side by side 4 times over the course of a year, and I’ve come to the conclusion each time that I like the SR more. Even though my preference is for warmer sounds, it seems like the XR’s bass just sounds a bit too unnatural to my ears. To me, there’s too much upper-bass emphasis, mid-bass seems to decay too quickly in comparison, and sub-bass extension is great, but I feel is over-shadowed by the aforementioned upper-bass.

Though you can definitely tell that the SR and XR are related, the XR’s upper mids also just sound a little less clean and controlled to me. It seems a little less even to my ears.

The nail in the coffin for the XR with me comes with the fact that the SR and XR can already sound congested sometimes due to the small sound depth / sound stage. The thumpy, dark bass of the XR therefore makes the sound even more claustrophobic to me, and I just find the overall experience rather distracting.

I’ve come to quite like the SR’s bright, detailed, and lively signature, and on the rare occasion I felt that bass wasn’t enough, the bass boost on my Fiio Q1 filled out the bass really nicely – seemingly much more natural than the stock sound of the XR.

Unfortunately it seems like the Etymotic earphones didn’t sell too well here in Singapore, so most stores have gotten rid of their stock and are not re-ordering any more. At Jaben, my go-to store for auditioning earphones, I was told that something like they had to struggle selling the 5 units of the XR and 5 units of the SR they had on hand over the course of a year. It’s actually quite a shame, but I’ll be looking out for any used pairs of the SR over the coming years.

Edit for clarification: I'm by no means saying the XR is bad, or that the SR is clearly better. The SR just suits my preference for low-end reproduction more, and that's just my personal perception of sound / preferences.

by any chance might you have also tried the MassDrop Plus?

Sep 25, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #12,248 of 19,246

haven't tried the SR, bur i reckon it is more similar to my ER4PT/S (with adapter). very light on bass, but often i reach for it instead the XR, the treble sparkle seems more lively

Sep 25, 2018 at 4:48 AM Post #12,249 of 19,246
Pink Floyd yes!! Animals is one of the most enjoyable albums to listen to with etys just behind Meddle imo. Just shows what good mastering can reward you with when you use the er4.

Yes! My version of Animals played above is from 2011 “Discovery” edition. Although it is louder than older masters, I find this one subjectively better than MFSL version and comparable to Japanese 32-DP version.

With ER4SR you basically hear everything! It is my most detailed set of speakers, period. And its extreme external noise isolation makes those little details even more impressive

Sep 25, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #12,251 of 19,246
ER4SR has like no sub-bass -_-; It’s there and quality is good, but quantity is very little.

Agreed, this describes their bass quite well

Actually that’s what I like about it - everything is presented with the correct proportion.

That's interesting, you must listen to some quick music :)

Sep 25, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #12,252 of 19,246
Guys, can anybody measure the outer diameter of the smaller part of the earphone casing that is in the ear(the one that the silicone tip goes on)? I am planning to try to replicate the housings, but with different materials, and I would like to have something for measure

Sep 25, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #12,253 of 19,246
Guys, can anybody measure the outer diameter of the smaller part of the earphone casing that is in the ear(the one that the silicone tip goes on)? I am planning to try to replicate the housings, but with different materials, and I would like to have something for measure

Ety is single BA build, changing the housing material should do pretty much nothing to the sound.

That part is really tiny, if you're looking for a precise measurement, I'm afraid I don't have one of those tools, maybe someone has a precision measurement thingy to do the trick.

Sep 25, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #12,254 of 19,246
Ety is single BA build, changing the housing material should do pretty much nothing to the sound.

That part is really tiny, if you're looking for a precise measurement, I'm afraid I don't have one of those tools, maybe someone has a precision measurement thingy to do the trick.
You are correct, but I don't aim to change the sound or anything. I just want to make a really small single ba iem (that you can sleep with), and thought that the er4's housing is ideal. Anyway thanks for the help, maybe there is somebody with a set of calipers or a measuring tape to measure the circumference of the part, so that I can calculate the rest.

Sep 25, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #12,255 of 19,246
You are correct, but I don't aim to change the sound or anything. I just want to make a really small single ba iem (that you can sleep with), and thought that the er4's housing is ideal. Anyway thanks for the help, maybe there is somebody with a set of calipers or a measuring tape to measure the circumference of the part, so that I can calculate the rest.

Ehh, I haven’t compared the two but wouldn’t the CA Comet be smaller? Or ER4’s are even smaller 0.O

Users who are viewing this thread

Back