If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Oct 20, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #10,996 of 19,249
Thats interesting. I wonder if you could expand on that. So... using higher gain does nothing to erode sound quality as compared to low gain? If so then why is it even an option, why not just have the volume normally max out at the higher gain max and do away with the gain option altogether? What would be the theoretical disadvantage of using high gain as opposed to low gain?

To be honest I'm not sure what you mean by a higher noise floor.

Thanks for any thoughts.

the gain is a voltage gain. the coefficient for gain tells us that at max volume setting, the amp section will take the voltage and multiply it by X. as voltage is directly linked to loudness, higher gain first and foremost will make your IEM louder. so if your DAP can already make the IEM way loud for your comfort on low gain, a rule of thumb would be "don't fracking touch that gain setting!". luckily, in most situations, changing the gain setting has little actual impact so audiophiles can play with yet another knob and pretend like they've mastered sound.
higher gain usually means more noise. but not always audible or relevant.
higher gain could result in a different impedance output with various potential impacts on the signal and interactions with the IEM. depends on the gear and on the IEM so there is little point in trying to make big rules about that.
switching back and forth is a really bad way to decide which setting sounds the best, because you switch from louder to quieter and that will almost always impact your subjective impression of sound more than most other potential changes.
oh and battery life could be reduced on high gain. thought how much will of course depend on each DAP.

Oct 20, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #10,999 of 19,249
I think you won't need high gain on the M2s using the ER4XR. I am always ending up in low gain with volume between 30 and 50 depending on environment.
And btw congrats to that pairing.

Thank YOU, your posts motivated me to try it. And you were right, the sound is fantastic. And the player itself is very nicely designed,

For the most part I agree with you, high gain not necessary, but I did find a track or two I could use it on. For me 30-50 volume would be low on most tracks.

I also have a pair of Sennheiser HD-600, havent tried them with this player yet but I feel like they might be a candidate for some more high gain use.

Oct 20, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #11,000 of 19,249
higher gain could result in a different impedance output with various potential impacts on the signal and interactions with the IEM. depends on the gear and on the IEM so there is little point in trying to make big rules about that.

How about the M2s and the ER-4P, XR? Do you feel that this player should interact well with these IEMs?

Oct 26, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #11,004 of 19,249
I’d love to be notified if and when they’re available. For the Sony 4.4mm NW-WM1A balanced output. Not that I can imagine anything sounding better than the 4XR does already... words fail me!

There was a poll on what people wanted termination-wise, way back that way <----. I seem to remember that the balanced option wasn't being considered initially at least, for multiple plug terminations. Can't remember if @EtyDave indicated what the most likely termination will be, but I don't think 4.4mm figured.

Oct 26, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #11,005 of 19,249
There was a poll on what people wanted termination-wise, way back that way <----. I seem to remember that the balanced option wasn't being considered initially at least, for multiple plug terminations. Can't remember if @EtyDave indicated what the most likely termination will be, but I don't think 4.4mm figured.
Ah well - my fault for coming late to the party.Thanks for letting me know!

Oct 26, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #11,006 of 19,249
Ah well - my fault for coming late to the party.Thanks for letting me know!

There are other options for getting the XR/SR into the balanced socket of the 1A/1Z - and certainly, the XR sounds absolutely fabulous through the balanced socket of the 1Z, and will doubtless sound very similar on the 1A. Have you investigated third party suppliers?

Oct 27, 2017 at 4:43 AM Post #11,008 of 19,249
Silly question - is there a mic cable version for the ER4 XR? I’m assuming maybe aftermarket cable?

I've not seen one - but then again, I've not specifically searched for one. It may be that a custom cable maker can make one up for you though.

Oct 27, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #11,009 of 19,249
There are other options for getting the XR/SR into the balanced socket of the 1A/1Z - and certainly, the XR sounds absolutely fabulous through the balanced socket of the 1Z, and will doubtless sound very similar on the 1A. Have you investigated third party suppliers?
Thank you so much for taking the trouble to reply! I haven’t found anyone making them. Any pointers???!!!

Oct 27, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #11,010 of 19,249
Etymotic hf3 comes with an inline microphone and 3-button remote. They don't have the fidelity of the ER4SR/XR, but they are a worthy travel companion when a microphone is required (i.e. connected to a phone rather than a DAP).

Cheers... Brian

P.S. Caveat... hf3 have the same great isolation as ER4 and you have to be careful not to miss gate change announcements at the airport :wink:
P.P.S. Etymotic makes an app for that (look for Awareness! in your app store).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back