If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Oct 15, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #10,966 of 19,246

Could you elaborate on that? I know from this thread that you like the Shanling M2s, and I’ve read that its indeed very good, and small. However my understanding is that its sound quality and power output is quite similar to the smaller FiiO X3, not X5. And in reviews, thats the player its classed with and compared to, along with other players of similar size.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #10,967 of 19,246
Size has not really something to do with the power delivered and Sound quality anyhow is something you cannot judge as better or worse, as all players have different tuning and all of us have different personal taste.
The M2s e.g. delivers 130mW, which is fare more than e.g. previous Sony flagships. Anyhow, as long as we are talking about the Etymotics here to be driven no DAP on the market will have issues with it.

Oct 15, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #10,968 of 19,246
Thanks for your comments. I will admit that not only am I not looking for BT, but I don't even know what it means!

I'm pretty sold on the X5ii. So I went to Amazon to check out prices, and weirdly, the titanium one costs $30 more than the black one. Might there be any good reason for this? Could it be... newer?

The one thing that makes me hesitate at this point is the size. I'm used to the Sansa Clip+, which is much, much, much smaller and much, much, much lighter. It seems to me though that for this quality sound and driving power the size is unavoidable... no? In truth I don't need many options, so I'd be willing to sacrifice much for a smaller player. But maybe not sound quality. The X3, both the X3ii and X3iii, are both significantly smaller but unless I am misunderstanding the situation they also both have significantly worse sound qulaity. And it is not clear to me that there is a significantly smaller player from any manufacturer that can equal the sound quality of the X5. Maybe of equal size, but not smaller. With any smaller player comes a decrease in driving power and sound quality. Does all this sound about right?

I can elaborate:

X5ii is not much larger than X3-3 or X3-2, all of which are considerably larger than Clip.

There are micro DAPs that sound excellent, sometimes the sacrifice is in power output or battery life, but this doesn't mean they sound bad. The circuit itself is not as large as the battery and the construction for durability

I wanted to remind as wll that M2s from Shanling exists. It is about the size of clip, and has an excellent sound! I actually love the ER4-XR + Clip combination, wrote a bit about it in my official review: https://audiophile-heaven.blogspot.ro/2017/09/etymotic-er4-xr-precision-performance-power.html

ER4-XR + Shanling M2s – This is an intriguing pairing because while M2s is an ultra-portable DAP, it tends to have a pretty dynamic and lively sound, especially considering its price and size. While M2s won't have the detail enhancement of DX200 or Opus DAPs, it surely has good musicality and gives a bit more spark to the top end of ER4-XR.

The word M2s appears over ten times in my review :darthsmile:

Oct 15, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #10,969 of 19,246
I can elaborate:

X5ii is not much larger than X3-3 or X3-2, all of which are considerably larger than Clip.

There are micro DAPs that sound excellent, sometimes the sacrifice is in power output or battery life, but this doesn't mean they sound bad. The circuit itself is not as large as the battery and the construction for durability

I wanted to remind as wll that M2s from Shanling exists. It is about the size of clip, and has an excellent sound! I actually love the ER4-XR + Clip combination, wrote a bit about it in my official review: https://audiophile-heaven.blogspot.ro/2017/09/etymotic-er4-xr-precision-performance-power.html

ER4-XR + Shanling M2s – This is an intriguing pairing because while M2s is an ultra-portable DAP, it tends to have a pretty dynamic and lively sound, especially considering its price and size. While M2s won't have the detail enhancement of DX200 or Opus DAPs, it surely has good musicality and gives a bit more spark to the top end of ER4-XR.

The word M2s appears over ten times in my review :darthsmile:

Thanks both of you for elaborating. I stand corrected. When I read the reviews of the FiiO X1, X3, X5, all reviews said that the sound quality gets better with each. And each is bigger and more expensive, with more advanced and expensive components inside, and compared to other bigger more expensive DAPs. I had assumed sound quality was connected somehow to the increased size and price and ability to cram better electronics into the DAP.

George, and Bart if you have tried both... how would you say the sound quality of the Shanling M2s compares to the FiiO X5ii, using the ER4-XR?

I'm also interested in the user interface of the Shanling. I've read that it can be annoying to use in different ways. Untrue?

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #10,970 of 19,246
Thanks both of you for elaborating. I stand corrected. When I read the reviews of the FiiO X1, X3, X5, all reviews said that the sound quality gets better with each. And each is bigger and more expensive, with more advanced and expensive components inside, and compared to other bigger more expensive DAPs. I had assumed sound quality was connected somehow to the increased size and price and ability to cram better electronics into the DAP.

George, and Bart if you have tried both... how would you say the sound quality of the Shanling M2s compares to the FiiO X5ii, using the ER4-XR?

I'm also interested in the user interface of the Shanling. I've read that it can be annoying to use in different ways. Untrue?

M2s works more than just fine, both it and X5ii have a scroll, the main difference being that M2s has it on the right side and X5ii on the center / face.

From the two, X5ii has more mid-bass and soundstage amphasis where M2s feels more laid back and smooths out some of the main characteristics of ER4-XR making it maybe more musical, while X5ii enhances its detail level.

I enjoy ER4-XR with both and cannot say that one is better, I guess that it depends on the mood, if I want to lay low and relax, I take M2s, if I want a more critic experience and to hear more details, I take X5ii.

Niether is rolled off at either end and both have some cool features.

I should mention that M2s can be connected to your phone via Bluetooth and you can use your phone as a remote. I don't know how handy this is, but it is a feature. I think you can even stream music from your phone directly to M2s.

M3s is similar, but bigger and seemngly an improved version of M2s in every direction.

Oct 15, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #10,971 of 19,246
M2s works more than just fine, both it and X5ii have a scroll, the main difference being that M2s has it on the right side and X5ii on the center / face.

From the two, X5ii has more mid-bass and soundstage amphasis where M2s feels more laid back and smooths out some of the main characteristics of ER4-XR making it maybe more musical, while X5ii enhances its detail level.

I enjoy ER4-XR with both and cannot say that one is better, I guess that it depends on the mood, if I want to lay low and relax, I take M2s, if I want a more critic experience and to hear more details, I take X5ii.

Niether is rolled off at either end and both have some cool features.

I should mention that M2s can be connected to your phone via Bluetooth and you can use your phone as a remote. I don't know how handy this is, but it is a feature. I think you can even stream music from your phone directly to M2s.

M3s is similar, but bigger and seemngly an improved version of M2s in every direction.

Thanks for your thoughts. Sounds to me that actually the Shanling would better meet my needs.

It's funny though, at the end of what you wrote above, you mentioned that the M3s is bigger and better. And that was kinda my point, these manufacturers seem to release players, and the bigger they are the better they are. You're saying that it is reputed to have better sound, right? So... that follows what FiiO has also done with their lineup. ... and its also not that much more expensive, so if the sound is better than perhaps its a better choice than the M2s? Besides the size.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #10,972 of 19,246
Thanks for your thoughts. Sounds to me that actually the Shanling would better meet my needs.

It's funny though, at the end of what you wrote above, you mentioned that the M3s is bigger and better. And that was kinda my point, these manufacturers seem to release players, and the bigger they are the better they are. You're saying that it is reputed to have better sound, right? So... that follows what FiiO has also done with their lineup. ... and its also not that much more expensive, so if the sound is better than perhaps its a better choice than the M2s? Besides the size.
but
Well, that is true when it comes to the DAPs of the same manufacturer. They generally try to make them better with each line-up

FiiO has X1, X3, X5 and X7. From those, X7mkii, the top of the highest line is the best sounding by a large margin to my ears. Basically, it has the best vividness, musicality, detail, clarity, extension and everything. That one is the best FiiO DAP. X5ii is the second after it in my opinion, if you're looking at the sound alone. X5-3 went into another direction entirely, it is ultra smooth and doesn't render cymbals with energy but rather with relaxation, making it unfit for metal music, so X5ii is immediately behind X7mkii. The first generation of X7 had some hardware issues and I cannot say where it lies, the sound was incredible, but the device was hit and miss, would work wonders for some, would be problematic to some, depending on your listening habits.

Shanling has M1, M2, M3, and M5 DAPs. Their M3s is the latest from the M3 line and M2s the latest from the M2 line. M3s is basically their mid-high end DAP, which features the same control and body as M2s, but it is larger and people said it has more vividness, detail and clarity. M5s is not released yet, so right now the only one from the M5 line is M5, which I don't know nothing about.

Now, M2s is the portable version of M3s, imagine that differences between DAPs are usually smaller than differences between IEMs or headphones, it is like adding the best spices to a food, not the base food, which is the headphone or the IEM.

It doesn't matter what you go for, all of them, even the first X1 form FiiO is much better than Clip as a DAP, providing a vivider sound, more clarity and more details along with much larger soundstage and better extension up top.

When it comes to M2s vs M3s, I didn't actually hear one, this is why I quote myself that it is seemingly better, and not necessarily better. I simply do not know yet. I have one incoming in a little while, and as a general rule it is the better version of M2s, so I am expecting it to have more clarity, details and vividness :smile_phones:

If you need something ultra portable, I recommend M2s without fear, it is one of the few less expensive DAPs I included in my ER4-XR pairing list because it actually works very well with them. I cannot say about other less expensive DAPs without hearing them, but M2s is not to be looked down upon. As small and unexpensive as it is, it impressed me a lot more thunan I was expecting it to. I was expecting very little from it sound wise, but it does a lot. Again, try to pick the one that suits your needs perfectly, if you want something ultra portable, M2s is no joking matter, if you want to sacrifice some size and portability for an incremental increase in SQ, you can go for something larger. The differences are not as big between a small and a bigger DAP as they are between Clip and M2s for example, it is just us, more... dedicated music enthusiasts that try to get the best we can. ER4XR will sound extremely detailed with anything you plug them into, M2s will relax them a bit, X5ii enhance them a bit, X7mkii further enhance them :k701smile:

Oct 15, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #10,973 of 19,246
but
Well, that is true when it comes to the DAPs of the same manufacturer. They generally try to make them better with each line-up

FiiO has X1, X3, X5 and X7. From those, X7mkii, the top of the highest line is the best sounding by a large margin to my ears. Basically, it has the best vividness, musicality, detail, clarity, extension and everything. That one is the best FiiO DAP. X5ii is the second after it in my opinion, if you're looking at the sound alone. X5-3 went into another direction entirely, it is ultra smooth and doesn't render cymbals with energy but rather with relaxation, making it unfit for metal music, so X5ii is immediately behind X7mkii. The first generation of X7 had some hardware issues and I cannot say where it lies, the sound was incredible, but the device was hit and miss, would work wonders for some, would be problematic to some, depending on your listening habits.

Shanling has M1, M2, M3, and M5 DAPs. Their M3s is the latest from the M3 line and M2s the latest from the M2 line. M3s is basically their mid-high end DAP, which features the same control and body as M2s, but it is larger and people said it has more vividness, detail and clarity. M5s is not released yet, so right now the only one from the M5 line is M5, which I don't know nothing about.

Now, M2s is the portable version of M3s, imagine that differences between DAPs are usually smaller than differences between IEMs or headphones, it is like adding the best spices to a food, not the base food, which is the headphone or the IEM.

It doesn't matter what you go for, all of them, even the first X1 form FiiO is much better than Clip as a DAP, providing a vivider sound, more clarity and more details along with much larger soundstage and better extension up top.

When it comes to M2s vs M3s, I didn't actually hear one, this is why I quote myself that it is seemingly better, and not necessarily better. I simply do not know yet. I have one incoming in a little while, and as a general rule it is the better version of M2s, so I am expecting it to have more clarity, details and vividness :smile_phones:

If you need something ultra portable, I recommend M2s without fear, it is one of the few less expensive DAPs I included in my ER4-XR pairing list because it actually works very well with them. I cannot say about other less expensive DAPs without hearing them, but M2s is not to be looked down upon. As small and unexpensive as it is, it impressed me a lot more thunan I was expecting it to. I was expecting very little from it sound wise, but it does a lot. Again, try to pick the one that suits your needs perfectly, if you want something ultra portable, M2s is no joking matter, if you want to sacrifice some size and portability for an incremental increase in SQ, you can go for something larger. The differences are not as big between a small and a bigger DAP as they are between Clip and M2s for example, it is just us, more... dedicated music enthusiasts that try to get the best we can. ER4XR will sound extremely detailed with anything you plug them into, M2s will relax them a bit, X5ii enhance them a bit, X7mkii further enhance them :k701smile:

Just wanted to thank you for your comments, great stuff. If I pick up a player it is likely to be the Shanling M2s. Thanks also to Bart Simpson for your comments, they have all been helpful.

One note, it's interesting that these players are from Chinese companies. Not European or American or Japanese companies manufacturing in China, but native Chinese companies. Maybe its been the case for a while that many of the best DAPs are Chinese, but last I shopped for them it wasn't!

Oct 15, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #10,975 of 19,246
Made an account just to profess my love for Etymotic. I just got a pair of ER4XRs. Coming from a musician/audio engineering and, more recently, audiobook background, I am absolutely blown away. I came to know Etymotic when I got my first pair of HF5s back in 2009. Even then, I was amazed at the sound quality. They had the neutrality and analytical sound I was trying to find. Back then, as an audio engineer and producer, my main headphone setup was an Apogee Duet and Sennheiser HD600s. I saw reviews of the original ER4s in the years during but, for some reason, never pulled the trigger. I think I was just happy with how the HF5s sounded so I figured there was no reason to get any more IEMs. In the past few years, the headphone experience has become a more prominent part of my life due to my current profession (everything revolving around audiobook production including tech, education, and quality assurance). I still used HF5s at first. I did get other over-ears like HD650s, Momentum v2s (I'm a bit of a Sennheiser fan), Sony MDR7506s and Beyer Dynamic DT770s but never got any other IEMs as I thought that my HF5s were close to being the IEM variant of my HD600s. I then, in the past year, got Shure 425 IEMs, as one of my engineers kept professing his love for Shure. While I enjoy the sometimes wider soundstage and dynamics, I still felt like it didn't have the imaging and in-your-face/being-in-the-room-with-the-band type detail that the HF5s had for me. I also upgraded all my DAC/headphone amp situations with Schiit products as well as a Dragonfly Red for the work commute (I actually love the Dragonfly Red so much that I got them for my engineers to use when reviewing audiobook quality. Since they're allowed to work from home sometimes, the mobility is a huge plus when compared to their previous headphone/DAC combo).

Long story short, I only recently saw that Etymotic released the ER4 line. After reading 80-90 pages of this thread, I decided to take the plunge and finally get some ER4s (ER4XRs, to be exact).

All I have to say is...wow. I can't believe I waited this long to upgrade myself to Etymotic's top product. I seriously spent at least two hours switching from my HD600s to the 425s to the DT770s to Momentum V2s to the ER4XRs...and I think the ER4XRs are now my favorite way to listen to music now, ABOVE my HD600s. I don't even know what to do with these Shure 425s anymore, because I can't think of any time I'd be wearing them except if I ever get back into mixing and want to hear a mix on different types of IEMs. Being a guitar player of over 20 years, hearing the guitar parts on some songs...I feel like the amp is right in front of me. The detail and imaging are insane. Not to mention a way better soundstage than the HF5s, though I do admit I love the weird feeling Etymotics give where, since the earphones are so far into the ear canal, it feels like the music is inside my head/right behind my eyes. Weird sensation but have always oddly enjoyed it, no other headphone gives that kind of experience. In the case of the ER4XRs, I still get that experience but can now feel instruments move outside of that. Canal fit and comfortability were never issues with me and my HF5s (and now XRs), so they get deeeeep in there.

To me, THIS is neutral. THIS is how I want music to sound. Re-listening to mixes I did at a studio that had top-end Focal monitors, it feels like I'm right back in those control/mixing rooms. The bass is tight; definitely not "bassy" (the bad type of bassy). It's focused, packs a punch, and also handles songs with bass information in the sides pretty damn well too (on a song like Grounds for Divorce by Elbow, the XRs perfectly balance the shimmering percussion against the fat assed bottom bass/guitars during the chorus parts). I consider something like the Momentum V2s bassy, though in that case, they're enjoyable for certain listening experiences/moods. The ER4XRs have that silky smooth yet crisp treble that give vocals the air and breath they deserve and cymbals the realistic shimmer they have. I put on the 24/96 version of Lonesome Tears from Beck's Sea Change...I knew I made the right choice. I was in Nigel Godrich heaven, his productions are made for Etymotics. Going from the HF5s to ER4XRs, it's like pulling a veil off a speaker. What once was masked is now clear as day. It's like re-learning to ride a bike or something to that effect. Songs I've heard thousands of times sound new again with the ER4XRs. They're perfect. I seriously can't imagine it getting better. Can it? I've been tempting myself to get some of those crazy high-end multi-driver custom molded 64 Audio IEMs...but I think I'd really had to hear a pair before pulling the trigger, because I don't know what else I could ever want out of an IEM at the moment. I'd be interested in trying out the SRs, but I'd bet they wouldn't have enough bass. The ER4XRs, to my ears, are perfect.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2017 at 2:22 AM Post #10,976 of 19,246
Made an account just to profess my love for Etymotic. I just got a pair of ER4XRs. Coming from a musician/audio engineering and, more recently, audiobook background, I am absolutely blown away. I came to know Etymotic when I got my first pair of HF5s back in 2009. Even then, I was amazed at the sound quality. They had the neutrality and analytical sound I was trying to find. Back then, as an audio engineer and producer, my main headphone setup was an Apogee Duet and Sennheiser HD600s. I saw reviews of the original ER4s in the years during but, for some reason, never pulled the trigger. I think I was just happy with how the HF5s sounded so I figured there was no reason to get any more IEMs. In the past few years, the headphone experience has become a more prominent part of my life due to my current profession (everything revolving around audiobook production including tech, education, and quality assurance). I still used HF5s at first. I did get other over-ears like HD650s, Momentum v2s (I'm a bit of a Sennheiser fan), Sony MDR7506s and Beyer Dynamic DT770s but never got any other IEMs as I thought that my HF5s were close to being the IEM variant of my HD600s. I then, in the past year, got Shure 425 IEMs, as one of my engineers kept professing his love for Shure. While I enjoy the sometimes wider soundstage and dynamics, I still felt like it didn't have the imaging and in-your-face/being-in-the-room-with-the-band type detail that the HF5s had for me. I also upgraded all my DAC/headphone amp situations with Schiit products as well as a Dragonfly Red for the work commute (I actually love the Dragonfly Red so much that I got them for my engineers to use when reviewing audiobook quality. Since they're allowed to work from home sometimes, the mobility is a huge plus when compared to their previous headphone/DAC combo).

Long story short, I only recently saw that Etymotic released the ER4 line. After reading 80-90 pages of this thread, I decided to take the plunge and finally get some ER4s (ER4XRs, to be exact).

All I have to say is...wow. I can't believe I waited this long to upgrade myself to Etymotic's top product. I seriously spent at least two hours switching from my HD600s to the 425s to the DT770s to Momentum V2s to the ER4XRs...and I think the ER4XRs are now my favorite way to listen to music now, ABOVE my HD600s. I don't even know what to do with these Shure 425s anymore, because I can't think of any time I'd be wearing them except if I ever get back into mixing and want to hear a mix on different types of IEMs. Being a guitar player of over 20 years, hearing the guitar parts on some songs...I feel like the amp is right in front of me. The detail and imaging are insane. Not to mention a way better soundstage than the HF5s, though I do admit I love the weird feeling Etymotics give where, since the earphones are so far into the ear canal, it feels like the music is inside my head/right behind my eyes. Weird sensation but have always oddly enjoyed it, no other headphone gives that kind of experience. In the case of the ER4XRs, I still get that experience but can now feel instruments move outside of that. Canal fit and comfortability were never issues with me and my HF5s (and now XRs), so they get deeeeep in there.

To me, THIS is neutral. THIS is how I want music to sound. Re-listening to mixes I did at a studio that had top-end Focal monitors, it feels like I'm right back in those control/mixing rooms. The bass is tight; definitely not "bassy" (the bad type of bassy). It's focused, packs a punch, and also handles songs with bass information in the sides pretty damn well too (on a song like Grounds for Divorce by Elbow, the XRs perfectly balance the shimmering percussion against the fat assed bottom bass/guitars during the chorus parts). I consider something like the Momentum V2s bassy, though in that case, they're enjoyable for certain listening experiences/moods. The ER4XRs have that silky smooth yet crisp treble that give vocals the air and breath they deserve and cymbals the realistic shimmer they have. I put on the 24/96 version of Lonesome Tears from Beck's Sea Change...I knew I made the right choice. I was in Nigel Godrich heaven, his productions are made for Etymotics. Going from the HF5s to ER4XRs, it's like pulling a veil off a speaker. What once was masked is now clear as day. It's like re-learning to ride a bike or something to that effect. Songs I've heard thousands of times sound new again with the ER4XRs. They're perfect. I seriously can't imagine it getting better. Can it? I've been tempting myself to get some of those crazy high-end multi-driver custom molded 64 Audio IEMs...but I think I'd really had to hear a pair before pulling the trigger, because I don't know what else I could ever want out of an IEM at the moment. I'd be interested in trying out the SRs, but I'd bet they wouldn't have enough bass. The ER4XRs, to my ears, are perfect.
If you like the ER-4XR Then you will not like the ER-4SR. Last year I bought the ER-4SR And I also have a pair Of HD600 And thought they sounded great But then last December I picked up the Massdrop HD6XX Which is the HD650 And really enjoyed Having That slate base increase. So a couple months ago I picked up the ER-4XR And I cannot listen To the SR anymore Same with the HD600 They're both resting in their boxes. The only two I use now Are the HD6XX and the ER-4XR

Oct 16, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #10,977 of 19,246

Good to see someone else enjoying the Red Dragonfly with their Etty's! I was just about to ask why it seems so popular to carry around a separate player and (I'm assuming here..) a cell phone, when the Dragonfly is so good. Anyway, I upgraded recently from the older 4s to the new SR's, and love them. Use Shure olives (fit my ears comfortably..not as comfy as Comply's, but last a lot longer), and wanted to show how they fit nicely in the $3.50 'hard case' from Amazon. The Dragonfly receives bitperfect output from my OnePlus 5, and sounds heavenly! Ety1.jpg Ety2.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #10,980 of 19,246
Due to having less bass than the xr, wouldn't some say the sr has a clearer sound? Even though I heard the xr doesn't have any bass bleed.
The SR does not have a clearer sound — as I'd describe clearer anyway. The SR is simply closer to the target curve that Etymotic uses as a model for neutrality. Subjectively, XR and SR sound remarkably similar except that some bass is boosted on the XR (or lower on the SR, depending on your point of view).

For me, and for the sort of music I usually listen to, the SR sounds "right" and the XR sounds "wrong," and I strongly prefer the SR. But my impression is that most people, including some clearly very experienced professionals, prefer the XR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back