If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Aug 11, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #9,061 of 19,246

Sigh...that was my only complaint about the ER4P, sucks that it wasn't addressed in the refresh. I guess with Ety's psuedo-MMCX implementation, this time there's at least some hope for a good aftermarket solution. My XRs are in a Fedex truck somewhere so I'll see in person soon enough I guess. 

I really wonder about that since the mmcx connection is unlike any of the other types of mmcx such as Shure or Westone. My guess is that most of the cables would have to be purchased through Etymotic. I'm not getting that bad in terms of microphonics with the ER4SR. I use them over the ear and use the cable cinch so it doesn't seem exaggerated compared to other earphones I've had in the past. 

Aug 11, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #9,062 of 19,246
I've had couple of HF-5's, one ER-6 many years ago and most recently ER-4S. I upraged those to ER-4XR, received those yesterday only to find the right channel is mute right out of the box. Tried to swap the drivers, both work on the left channel so now I'm with a faulty cable. Those headphones are going back for repair, so with the slow shipping from Europe to States and back it means I'm without the phones for at least couple of weeks. Ah the pain! The working channel sounded very nice though...

Aug 11, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #9,064 of 19,246
I'm looking to refresh the look of my ER4PT, using them for almost daily for 2 years. I love them so much that instead of buying a new CIEM I'm thinking of updating it.

Currently I'm considering my options.
1. Mod them for a new look
2. Upgrade to new ER4 (still within 2 year warranty, time is short though)
3. Reshell them.

However each of these I have uncertainties.
1. Can I detach the cable and pop on a cable adapter and use a new cable?
If possible, should I consider getting Null Audio Lunes or Silver Dragon cable or something else? Prominently I'm after a new cable look without negatively impacting the sound quality of my earphones. (I use the S adapter as well)
2. Do I upgrade $225USD, ~$300AUD excludes shipping. Buying outright would be $550AUD.
Would my custom fit be compatible with the new one?
3. I would love to reshell my earphones to a CIEM silicone type, but I may need to find a place to do it in Australia before looking at international options.

Any advice? :)

Aug 12, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #9,065 of 19,246
So, I've been thinking about getting a pair of Etymotic, and of course I'd like to get the ER4 in some shape or form (probably PT). That said I still haven't managed to find them at a decent price and I was wondering, is the HF5 that much of a step down? Or rather, I'm really intrigued by all the claims of Etys being extremely detailed, I'm pretty new to the hobby and right now I own Shure 215s, and Hifiman RE-400s, the latter of which sounds pretty detailed to me. Would the HF5 be a jump big enough in that regard that I could go with the more affordable pair to see if I like the Etymotic sound, or do they compromise enough that it's worth saving for the more expensive model?

Aug 12, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #9,066 of 19,246
... is the HF5 that much of a step down? Or rather, I'm really intrigued by all the claims of Etys being extremely detailed, I'm pretty new to the hobby and right now I own Shure 215s, and Hifiman RE-400s, the latter of which sounds pretty detailed to me. Would the HF5 be a jump big enough in that regard that I could go with the more affordable pair to see if I like the Etymotic sound, or do they compromise enough that it's worth saving for the more expensive model?

The hf5 / hf2 / hf3 absolutely has the Etymotic flavour.  It is very good.  I have ER-4S and ER-4P and I still use my hf3 when I want something minimal.

I think if you find you love the hf5 then you will be able to make a decision about whether to go with ER4-PT vs spending more for the SR or XR. And meanwhile you'll have a very good, small earphone with a very different sound from your 215s.

Aug 12, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #9,067 of 19,246
Etymotic! it's been a while since I've been on this forum, but glad to see the Etymotic love is still strong! came back here to see that there has been a new release in the ER4 line, just in time to replace my beloved ER4P as they were on their last strands. while a bit heartbreaking, especially since I had sent them in as recent as December for repairs, but at the same time "glad" as they gave me the opportunity to try out the newly re-designed ER4SR. Somewhat an impulse buy, but I really had no choice :wink: On the way to work the left ear stopped working and despite tweaking it a bit all I could get were bits of sound that went in and out until I let go. With that in mind I did a quick research on what Etymotic was up to and to go through repairs only to be sidetracked by the ER4SR and ER4XR! Quick reads on the reviews and before you know it I was off to a local store that carried both and moments later I walked out with the ER4SR. Definitely like the overall changes over the ER4P in terms of the cabling, plug, aluminum body, and of course the sound! Only very minor gripe is there's no easy way to determine left/right, which I easily rectified with some heatshrink tubing I had laying around. A bit hesitant to heat the tubes up for a tight fit, but luckily the tubing fits snug enough that it doesn't move around much at all.

Anyway, because I purchased the ER4SR so hastily I've decided to send in the ER4P for the upgrade price to purchase another pair... still have an extra ER4P that I always had for backup purposes so no need to keep two pairs of the ER4P any longer, however the newer ER4 is another story. Question is, should I get another ER4SR or go for the ER4XR... while I do love bass, I also do love the "natural" sound as well. Unfortunately I don't think there's a way for me to try the ER4XR without purchasing so for those with both, care to share some insight?

Aug 12, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #9,068 of 19,246
  I've had couple of HF-5's, one ER-6 many years ago and most recently ER-4S. I upraged those to ER-4XR, received those yesterday only to find the right channel is mute right out of the box. Tried to swap the drivers, both work on the left channel so now I'm with a faulty cable. Those headphones are going back for repair, so with the slow shipping from Europe to States and back it means I'm without the phones for at least couple of weeks. Ah the pain! The working channel sounded very nice though...

HikeG:  Have you been in touch with anybody at Etymotic Customer Service about your earphones? If not, can you shoot me an email at r_carlson@etymotic.com with all of your contact details and I'll see what I can do to have a resolution expedited for you. You can PM me too, but I'm currently on the road so email will reach me faster.

Aug 12, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #9,069 of 19,246
The hf5 / hf2 / hf3 absolutely has the Etymotic flavour.  It is very good.  I have ER-4S and ER-4P and I still use my hf3 when I want something minimal.

I think if you find you love the hf5 then you will be able to make a decision about whether to go with ER4-PT vs spending more for the SR or XR. And meanwhile you'll have a very good, small earphone with a very different sound from your 215s.

I completely agree. Unless you need the utmost in resolution, the HF series are very very good. And some might find them better. I've always felt they were a little thicker and smoother then my ER4's. But still very detailed and honest. I keep a pair as my "everyday" in ears. And get out my ER4's when I need to do critical listening.

Aug 12, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #9,070 of 19,246
  HikeG:  Have you been in touch with anybody at Etymotic Customer Service about your earphones? If not, can you shoot me an email at r_carlson@etymotic.com with all of your contact details and I'll see what I can do to have a resolution expedited for you. You can PM me too, but I'm currently on the road so email will reach me faster.

Rick, I've already contacted the customer service and sent the headphones back for repair earlier today. Thank you for your reply, much appreciated!

Aug 12, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #9,071 of 19,246
I completely agree. Unless you need the utmost in resolution, the HF series are very very good. And some might find them better. I've always felt they were a little thicker and smoother then my ER4's. But still very detailed and honest. I keep a pair as my "everyday" in ears. And get out my ER4's when I need to do critical listening.

I third that. HF is a little warmer and less "clinical", but the ER4 definitely peels more layers off the onion. 

Aug 12, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #9,072 of 19,246
  So, I've been thinking about getting a pair of Etymotic, and of course I'd like to get the ER4 in some shape or form (probably PT). That said I still haven't managed to find them at a decent price and I was wondering, is the HF5 that much of a step down? Or rather, I'm really intrigued by all the claims of Etys being extremely detailed, I'm pretty new to the hobby and right now I own Shure 215s, and Hifiman RE-400s, the latter of which sounds pretty detailed to me. Would the HF5 be a jump big enough in that regard that I could go with the more affordable pair to see if I like the Etymotic sound, or do they compromise enough that it's worth saving for the more expensive model?

I have spent the last years using mostly hf5, re400 and se215. I find them all to be good value and good for casual listening(I only wish the re400 wouldn't have such a crappy cable).
IMO the HF5 feels warmer than the ER4(don't get me wrong, warmer than er4 does not mean warm for me ^_^), the trebles of the ER4 are IMO more impressive subjectively.

now friendly warning for the hf5, it's very sensitive(as in db/mV). more than all the other stuff you're talking about. so if you have any doubt that your source might have some low level hiss with sensitive low impedance IEMs, you might want to avoid the HF5 and try your luck with MK5 or er4 instead. when I use my portable amp(super clean background), I'd go as far as saying that I prefer the hf5 for casual unfocused listening. it's totally subjective and some of the reasons aren't even related to music(like cable), but I've sold my old ER4 and kept 2 pairs of HF5. I really loved and still have those IEMs. it's the hissy background on some of my DAPs(solved with my amp, but it's summer, who wants to carry bricks around in summer?) that makes me use mostly the er4sr now when I want great isolation.

Aug 12, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #9,073 of 19,246

Thanks for putting together a really thorough review.  This type of feedback is very helpful to us.

A quick clarification on the eartips.  The new clear 3-flange tips are actually the same size as the previous grey 3-flange tips.  I have found that they do break in a bit with use, so hopefully you find them more comfortable as you use them a bit.  If, after using them a bit, you find you do still prefer the grey 3-flange, those are still available as accessories.

According to your website the new clear 3-flange tips that are listed under "New ER4 Accessories" are much smaller than the old grey ones. They are called "ER38-18CL-4SX Large Clear 3-Flange Eartips" and suit ear canal openings from 6 to 11 mm.
confused.gif
 I don't know what to think of that. Maybe just a problem with your website.

Aug 12, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #9,074 of 19,246

Well, that's not acceptable.  Please PM me if there's anything I can do to help.

Edit: nevermind, EtyheadRick is much quicker to the keyboard than I am (plus he is the problem fixer).

Aug 12, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #9,075 of 19,246

According to your website the new clear 3-flange tips that are listed under "New ER4 Accessories" are much smaller than the old grey ones. They are called "ER38-18CL-4SX Large Clear 3-Flange Eartips" and suit ear canal openings from 6 to 11 mm.
confused.gif
 I don't know what to think of that. Maybe just a problem with your website.

It is indeed an error on the website.  Thanks for pointing that out.  The Large 3-Flange Gray eartips and the Large 3-Flange Clear eartips are the same size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back