If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Aug 14, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #9,091 of 19,246
I tried the SR out of an iPhone 5S yesterday.  It sounded good, but speaking for myself I wouldn't pay its price to run it in that unamped configuration.  Out of a Mojo, or presumably another good DAC/amp combo or a good DAP, it's really astonishing.  But when I switch to the 5S alone, I couldn't say for sure that I would choose the SR over an hf3 or hf5.

This is just my impression, and it's good to keep in mind that I'm spoiled: I've been using outboard equipment with my Etys for years and have become perhaps oversensitized to the difference it makes.  Your mileage may vary.

Aug 14, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #9,092 of 19,246
I tried the SR out of an iPhone 5S yesterday.  It sounded good, but speaking for myself I wouldn't pay its price to run it in that unamped configuration.  Out of a Mojo, or presumably another good DAC/amp combo or a good DAP, it's really astonishing.  But when I switch to the 5S alone, I couldn't say for sure that I would choose the SR over an hf3 or hf5.

This is just my impression, and it's good to keep in mind that I'm spoiled: I've been using outboard equipment with my Etys for years and have become perhaps oversensitized to the difference it makes.  Your mileage may vary.

Depends on what you're listening to with the IPhone (5S). iTunes really just doesn't do it for me. I'm sure there are other options, but I've had good results with Onkyo HF player. Takes the songs from iTunes automatically. Still a compromise, but a nice improvement over iTunes. Particularly when it comes to sound quality.

Aug 14, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #9,093 of 19,246
The new ER4's are very tempting, but it's hard to decide on the SR or XR.  Reading the owners' reviews here and elsewhere, some people swear by the XR's, but other the SR's.  One day I'm learning towards the XR's, and the next day it's the SR's!

Most of the time I prefer a more neutral sound, but I'd rather have a little extra bass than too little bass.  My favorite over-ear headphones are HD600's, though they could do with a touch extra sub-bass.  My SE425's have too little bass, while my SE846's sounded at first too have too much bass, though I've grown used to it (and it looks like the XR's have a similar bass boost as the SE846's).  Decisions, decisions...

Aug 14, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #9,095 of 19,246
Funny thing is that despite the extensive way I use my XR and SR I still very much enjoy going back to my old ER-4P.

Technically the new ones are (of course) much better and vastly improved over the original series in terms of overall definition, but I think I kind of miss the more laid back and warm signature of the ER-4P with its full-bodied, buttery smooth mids. 
etysmile.gif

Aug 14, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #9,097 of 19,246
  Funny thing is that despite the extensive way I use my XR and SR I still very much enjoy going back to my old ER-4P.

Technically the new ones are (of course) much better and vastly improved over the original series in terms of overall definition, but I think I kind of miss the more laid back and warm signature of the ER-4P with its full-bodied, buttery smooth mids. 
etysmile.gif

Interesting post because you sort of have just described my Earsonics SM64 with 1K filters. Right now I alternating between it and the SR.

XR best R.

I had both models here to try. XR went back. Strangely, SR did sounded slightly technical better for me, more refined, as they didn't have the same BA driver model inside...

And
popcorn.gif

Aug 14, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #9,098 of 19,246
I prefer sr by a slight margin but i go back and forth now and then as i have them both. I even stull listen to the s now and then and i hate to say this, but i kind of wish the 2khz region was half way between the s and sr. If i had to guess, the sr is "closer to the target" but on the low side, which is probably safest as that region can cause fatigue. Where the s was a bit much for some. I'd still take the sr over the s if i had to.

They are all excellent though. Xr owners aren't missing much really, especially if you like bass or thought the s had too little. Sr owners aren't missing much as the bass sounds better than the s, especially if you thought the s bass was good already.

S owners aren't missing much and have the smoothest upper mids. But the sr does improve the detail retrieval and is more relaxed, and the cable is nicer too.

If you're on the fence I'd always heir on the side of how picky you are about technical neutrality. If it isn't critical, get the xr and be done. :) you always have eq too and it's easier to remove bass. If you want technically perfect the sr is closest. If you have he s and are really happy i guess you may like the new cable and more laid back sound with detail retrieval.

Aug 15, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #9,100 of 19,246
  The new ER4's are very tempting, but it's hard to decide on the SR or XR.  Reading the owners' reviews here and elsewhere, some people swear by the XR's, but other the SR's.  One day I'm learning towards the XR's, and the next day it's the SR's!

Most of the time I prefer a more neutral sound, but I'd rather have a little extra bass than too little bass.  My favorite over-ear headphones are HD600's, though they could do with a touch extra sub-bass.  My SE425's have too little bass, while my SE846's sounded at first too have too much bass, though I've grown used to it (and it looks like the XR's have a similar bass boost as the SE846's).  Decisions, decisions...

I'm using HD600, luv it. That's the reason why I choose SR, expecting sound similarity ; has enough bass but not big ( I'm not basshead).
It look like HD600 compare to HD650 (slightly more bass). Lets see, I will update my impression when the SR arrived.....Heloo Mr.Postman, plizzzz drive faster

Aug 15, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #9,102 of 19,246
^ Agree with that. It seems that there are two very well done options and its really a matter of choice. Or if you choose, get both. 

The reason I haven't made the purchase yet is because I keep listening to my ER4S and enjoying them, so I may punt for now and just enjoy what I have. I will eventually move on though and get the upgrade. I think with the ER4SR, I like the fact that its a little Grado-like, and I might miss that, although I would enjoy the more accurate SR or XR as well I'm sure. So, for now, I'm going to enjoy what I have. 

By the way, this has to be the best thread on head-fi. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back