If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Aug 12, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #9,076 of 19,241
  I have spent the last years using mostly hf5, re400 and se215. I find them all to be good value and good for casual listening(I only wish the re400 wouldn't have such a crappy cable).
IMO the HF5 feels warmer than the ER4(don't get me wrong, warmer than er4 does not mean warm for me ^_^), the trebles of the ER4 are IMO more impressive subjectively.

now friendly warning for the hf5, it's very sensitive(as in db/mV). more than all the other stuff you're talking about. so if you have any doubt that your source might have some low level hiss with sensitive low impedance IEMs, you might want to avoid the HF5 and try your luck with MK5 or er4 instead. when I use my portable amp(super clean background), I'd go as far as saying that I prefer the hf5 for casual unfocused listening. it's totally subjective and some of the reasons aren't even related to music(like cable), but I've sold my old ER4 and kept 2 pairs of HF5. I really loved and still have those IEMs. it's the hissy background on some of my DAPs(solved with my amp, but it's summer, who wants to carry bricks around in summer?) that makes me use mostly the er4sr now when I want great isolation.

I use an IPod classic with a FiiO E11k, so I think i should be reasonably covered. Anyway, thanks for the input, I'm probably going to pull the trigger sometime soon. What kind of music would you say is best suited to the Etymotic sound signature? 

Aug 12, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #9,077 of 19,241

I have spent the last years using mostly hf5, re400 and se215. I find them all to be good value and good for casual listening(I only wish the re400 wouldn't have such a crappy cable).
IMO the HF5 feels warmer than the ER4(don't get me wrong, warmer than er4 does not mean warm for me ^_^), the trebles of the ER4 are IMO more impressive subjectively.

now friendly warning for the hf5, it's very sensitive(as in db/mV). more than all the other stuff you're talking about. so if you have any doubt that your source might have some low level hiss with sensitive low impedance IEMs, you might want to avoid the HF5 and try your luck with MK5 or er4 instead. when I use my portable amp(super clean background), I'd go as far as saying that I prefer the hf5 for casual unfocused listening. it's totally subjective and some of the reasons aren't even related to music(like cable), but I've sold my old ER4 and kept 2 pairs of HF5. I really loved and still have those IEMs. it's the hissy background on some of my DAPs(solved with my amp, but it's summer, who wants to carry bricks around in summer?) that makes me use mostly the er4sr now when I want great isolation.

I use an IPod classic with a FiiO E11k, so I think i should be reasonably covered. Anyway, thanks for the input, I'm probably going to pull the trigger sometime soon. What kind of music would you say is best suited to the Etymotic sound signature? 

All music if you like to here it as it should be heard! :wink: haha

Aug 13, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #9,078 of 19,241

on all etys, the subs are weak for my personal taste. so music with some hypnotizing subs aren't as fun as with some other IEMs. but I guess I have special taste as I adore subs, but I'm not a great fan of anything boosted in the 100-200hz area(and all bassy IEMs abuse that area too). so to me it's always a game of rising one part or lowering the other with an EQ. I like the hf5 as is, but I prefer it with 2 to 5db boost around 30-40hz depending on the tips.
else about the genres to go with ety in general, I'd say clean recordings. ^_^
bad records can be a lot of fun in a car over the radio, but not so fun on IEMs, and even less fun on revealing signatures like with etymotic IEMs. something like the se215 and re400 are usually friendlier with poor recording quality IMO so it's good to have them around too.

Aug 13, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #9,079 of 19,241
I had a chance to listen to the SR and XR at CanJam London today.  I've been a huge, huge fan of the ER-4S for about 13-14 years, so I was very eager to hear the new products.

For me the SR is phenomenal.  Maybe it's technically only a little bit closer to the response target, but to me the difference in realism seemed very substantial.  It was absolutely fantastic.  In just a few minutes of auditioning I found myself hearing things I had not ever heard with the ER-4S in some of my well-listened tracks.

In line with luisdent's impressions (or anyway my impressions of his impressions), I found that for whatever reason the bass was more present and had more slam.  More clarity throughout the range seemed to translate into more texture and more presence in the bass, bringing it into its rightful place in the mix but without making it more than it should be.

I loved the SR and I expect it to be my next earphone purchase.

I spent some time with the XR as well.  I am really impressed by what's been done (it really is just what people have been asking for, a true Etymotic with full Ety balance and clarity, but with the bass dialed up a bit).  But it is just not for me.

I was mainly auditioning with a Mojo, 16/44.1 tracks.  But I did try the SR unamped from iPhone 5S as well.  It's really good, and vastly more usable than an ER-4S from an iPhone.  But the SR really, really rewards having a better DAP or DAC/amp than just a phone.

Aug 13, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #9,080 of 19,241

[CONTENTEMBED=/t/538615/if-you-still-love-etymotic-er4-this-is-the-thread-for-you/9060#post_12786273 layout=inline] [/CONTENTEMBED]

on all etys, the subs are weak for my personal taste. so music with some hypnotizing subs aren't as fun as with some other IEMs. but I guess I have special taste as I adore subs, but I'm not a great fan of anything boosted in the 100-200hz area(and all bassy IEMs abuse that area too). so to me it's always a game of rising one part or lowering the other with an EQ. I like the hf5 as is, but I prefer it with 2 to 5db boost around 30-40hz depending on the tips.
else about the genres to go with ety in general, I'd say clean recordings. ^_^
bad records can be a lot of fun in a car over the radio, but not so fun on IEMs, and even less fun on revealing signatures like with etymotic IEMs. something like the se215 and re400 are usually friendlier with poor recording quality IMO so it's good to have them around too.

The sub below 50hz os definitely the weak point of the etys. Of they brought that up on the sr i would have a cow.

As for me i eq the sub uo anfew db on the sr sometimes and it sounds absolutely incredible.

I love perfct sub bass. And it truly adds body to sound even with the ety. That's why i think the xr is great but it adds more than just sub bass so it isn't perfect either. And the sub sub bass is slightly masked by the bass and mid bass. But it still sounds excellent.

Perfect sub bass in my opinion, in an in ear, is the lg hsb800 in reference mode. It's at least the closest. Maybe a bit too much, but so close to flat. GE uses extra bass compensation but it's a pretty good curve so as to avoid too much mid bass boost.
http://en.goldenears.net/25896

The thing sounds phenomenally flat with a good fit. But it has a bunch of other problems. High background noise from the BT amp, annoyingly loud volume beeps, finnicky eartip fit for me...

But in terms of the sound it produces it's very awesome. Perfect would be the sr with about 5 db more sub bass around 40-50hz that tapers back down very smoothly and quickly.

Aug 13, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #9,081 of 19,241
My primary IEMs are SE846s but I was interested in trying Etymotics because of all the great things I've heard about them, especially regarding their treble extension.  The ER4XRs interest me most.  Has anyone compares the SE846s and the ER4XRs?  Do the Etymotics hold their own, in comparison to the Shures?  I know there's a big difference in price, and the SE846s might be in a different class, but I'm hoping the Etymotics might have enough of their own special thing going on, and be good for when I want a more extended treble.

Aug 13, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #9,082 of 19,241
My primary IEMs are SE846s but I was interested in trying Etymotics because of all the great things I've heard about them, especially regarding their treble extension.  The ER4XRs interest me most.  Has anyone compares the SE846s and the ER4XRs?  Do the Etymotics hold their own, in comparison to the Shures?  I know there's a big difference in price, and the SE846s might be in a different class, but I'm hoping the Etymotics might have enough of their own special thing going on, and be good for when I want a more extended treble.

I'm pretty sire gnarlsagan has heard the 846 not too long ago, and he owns the er4sr/xr. :)

Aug 13, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #9,083 of 19,241

I owned the W60 for a while, I heard the 846 as well.
ER4SR is a real reference neutral IEM with a faster bass. Price does not matter. Both westone and shure are colored and slow in comparison. 

Aug 13, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #9,084 of 19,241
I currently have the ER4 Micro Pro's, and am very intrigued by the upgrade offer to get the ER4SR's. Two questions:

1) Is the cable as heavy as the old ER4's? I found the shirt clip necessary, which is less-than-ideal.

2) Has anyone heard anything definitive about Ety offering a 2.5mm balanced cable with a 4 pole termination as an additional purchase? I have an Onkyo DP-X1. While their site says it is "similar" to n MMCX connector, it implies it is somewhat specialized...

Aug 13, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #9,085 of 19,241
I currently have the ER4 Micro Pro's, and am very intrigued by the upgrade offer to get the ER4SR's. Two questions:

1) Is the cable as heavy as the old ER4's? I found the shirt clip necessary, which is less-than-ideal.

2) Has anyone heard anything definitive about Ety offering a 2.5mm balanced cable with a 4 pole termination as an additional purchase? I have an Onkyo DP-X1. While their site says it is "similar" to n MMCX connector, it implies it is somewhat specialized...

A) i think it's a bit lighter, softer, and nicer all around.

B) no plans to make one as far as i remember etydave saying, but demand could change that perhaps? They seem to be open to feedback, which is pretty awesome, but obviously demand and cost have a major effect on things and right now that's probably a less common cable situation for most people...

Aug 13, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #9,086 of 19,241
A) i think it's a bit lighter, softer, and nicer all around.

B) no plans to make one as far as i remember etydave saying, but demand could change that perhaps? They seem to be open to feedback, which is pretty awesome, but obviously demand and cost have a major effect on things and right now that's probably a less common cable situation for most people...

I really hope etydave and the company is listening :) I've been searching for a pair of dropdown IEM's (I've never enjoyed around-the-ear as a wearing style), and this could be the perfect answer.

Aug 13, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #9,087 of 19,241

I owned the W60 for a while, I heard the 846 as well.
ER4SR is a real reference neutral IEM with a faster bass. Price does not matter. Both westone and shure are colored and slow in comparison. 

Agreed. Especially westone. Nothing against them, but they are more mid bass laden and have huge dips in the mid treble. But anyhow, er4s/sr/xr and pfe112 with comply foams are my favorites.

Aug 14, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #9,090 of 19,241
Any good news of ER4 SR pair with iPhone 6S playing FLAC files?
Consider SR model has lower  impedance 45ohm ( the old S has 100ohm) and higher sensitivity 98db (old S 90dB).
Theoretically, should be more easy to drive than the old model.

I just pull the trigger buy the ER4SR for my 6s (expected arrived next week) ,no plan to add amp. Just simple gear.

~ron~ 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back