If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
May 1, 2016 at 5:01 AM Post #7,606 of 19,251
I bet @ClieOS going mad imagining detachable cable Etys!

The original ER4 always has detachable cable, so there is no need to go mad imagine it. What it doesn't have is good ergonomic and that issue has been recently solved by my own little cable experiment. As for the new ER4, I'll reserve my judgement till I get a chance to try it out myself. I am not the kind of people who want to fix a non-existing problem, nor am I a cable vendor who like to sell everyone an "upgrade". So as far as I care, if it isn't broken (like the old ER4 cable), don't fix it.

May 1, 2016 at 5:04 AM Post #7,607 of 19,251

The original ER4 always has detachable cable, so there is no need to go mad imagine it. What it doesn't have is good ergonomic and that issue has been recently solved by my own little cable experiment. As for the new ER4, I'll reserve my judgement till I get a chance to try it out myself. I am not the kind of people who want to fix a non-existing problem, nor am I a cable vendor who like to sell everyone an "upgrade". So as far as I care, if it isn't broken (like the old ER4 cable), don't fix it.

Original is the best? I think i would love the kevlar cable.

May 1, 2016 at 5:07 AM Post #7,608 of 19,251
  Original is the best? I think i would love the kevlar cable.

Never say any of such thing.

Kevlar cable is pretty common these days. Most decent IEM has Kevlar cable even though many manufacturer don't bother to tell you about it.

May 1, 2016 at 5:16 AM Post #7,609 of 19,251

Sorry, it was a joke, cause I knew you enjoyed er4 modification.

May 1, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #7,610 of 19,251

Never say any of such thing.

Kevlar cable is pretty common these days. Most decent IEM has Kevlar cable even though many manufacturer don't bother to tell you about it.

That means that i have yet to get a decent IEM..... rats.

May 1, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #7,611 of 19,251
May 1, 2016 at 5:30 AM Post #7,612 of 19,251

Sure you have. It is called Xiaomi Piston 3.

LOL

Edit: The piston 2 works too
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #7,613 of 19,251
From my quick listening the SR is more or less like the P. The P was not available so I couldn't a/b them. The rep himself said the SR aims to be like the P but "a bit more linear and a bit clearer". The XR had a bit of a "V" signature though. More bass and treble was a bit sharper. I used a pono player they had for demo playing Aretha Franklin

I'm sorry my camera shots suck, if ety doesn't post the graph online soon, i'll try to make some scans.

Just to clarify a few things from my engineer's perspective:

1.)  The scale on the graphs between the older graph and the preliminary graphs that were in the sales sheets aren't the same, so all of the peaks look higher in the new graphs.  The target curve in the graphs (the dotted line) in both is the same, so you can get a better idea by comparing the delta from that curve.

2.)  The graphs in the pictures are not final (which is why I didn't post them here).  Those were preliminary graphs based on a small sample size.  The average response will smooth out a little bit with the final published graph. 

3.)  There is a peak beyond 10 kHz as there is on the new ER4SR and ER4XR and it's comparable to what we've been shipping on the ER4S for a long time.  I think the change in scale makes that peak look a little worse, but clearly it shows more energy than the older graph of the ER4S and ER4P (which doesn't show enough, IMHO).  A random google image search came up with this compliance graph that a user received with his ER4PT and it shows a fairly typical response.

4.)  With all respect for the person in our booth who you talked to, the ER4SR was not designed to sound like the 4P but a little bit clearer (I worked on the design side, so I'm fairly certain on this point).  It was designed to be an S with improved sensitivity and slight improvement in accuracy.  The ER4XR was designed to replace the 4P with a model that had an actual bass boost and no compromise in the higher frequencies.  I've recently worked the booth at the Axpona trade show (some of you may have talked with me) so I can truly relate to the grind of standing all day and talking for 10 hours.  It's easy for small details to get mixed up over the course of a conversation with someone.

5.)  It's interesting that the XR would be perceived to have more treble than the SR as their responses are basically the same in the high frequencies.  I could certainly see how one would perceive a boost compared to an ER4P, however.

Thanks for the report and posting the info.  I hope you enjoyed the new models!

May 1, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #7,614 of 19,251
vapman Is that really you moving over from the extreme basshead IEM thread to post impressions about new ETYS??? :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 1, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #7,615 of 19,251
vapman Is that really you moving over from the extreme basshead IEM thread to post impressions about new ETYS??? :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

Haha hold up man, I'm not moving threads at all!

I'm still a raving basshead but as a recording musician & owner of a recording studio I definitely have a time and need for real neutrality. I have been a fan of er4 for many years :)

(plus you can catch me in the Earbud thread pretty often :) :p :D)

May 1, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #7,616 of 19,251
Will the new models, specifically the reference model, come with a frequency graph/channel matching compliance graph? And please make sure those graphs you're releasing are nice and high quality :wink:

I'm sure this was already answered, but can i safely buy some foam tips for my current er4s, and know that they are exactly the same as what comes with the new models for when i get them?

May 1, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #7,618 of 19,251
Will the new models, specifically the reference model, come with a frequency graph/channel matching compliance graph? And please make sure those graphs you're releasing are nice and high quality :wink:

I'm sure this was already answered, but can i safely buy some foam tips for my current er4s, and know that they are exactly the same as what comes with the new models for when i get them?

Yes, they will come with channel matching compliance graphs.  We're tweaking the format are probably going to add some other information on there as well.

The new models will be shipping with the same foam that is currently being offered, so it's safe to get some now if you'd like.

May 1, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #7,619 of 19,251
I'm curious about how the metal body will feel combined with the traditional Etymotic deep insertion. 

May 1, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #7,620 of 19,251

Yes, they will come with channel matching compliance graphs.  We're tweaking the format are probably going to add some other information on there as well.

The new models will be shipping with the same foam that is currently being offered, so it's safe to get some now if you'd like.

Awesome. Thanks. The more info and high res graphs the better :wink: and honestly, thanks a million for taking your time up to talk to us here. It is really appreciated.

I'm curious about how the metal body will feel combined with the traditional Etymotic deep insertion. 

I'm the most curious if it will feel cold in your ear when it's winter for instance. I assume the metal will conduct temperature more and need to be warmed up in such cases. But maybe it's not enough metal to make a difference? Or you won't feel it because the tip makes all of the contact with your ears and not the housing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back