If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Apr 30, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #7,591 of 19,251

Dave - checking whether the filters of my beloved ER-4S have the same dimensions as the IM03's was a brilliant idea.
So I took out my ER-4S's box and grabbed one of the spare filters I still have - and indeed, the diameter is identical. I wasn't sure about the length as it is difficult to judge through the nozzle (visual magnification due to the shape). I thought I could avoid it, but I ended up carefully removing the white IM03 filter with the help of the die that comes with the ER-4S (using it carefully to prevent the mesh from being damaged) and the outer dimensions as well as shape (rounded inner-facing end) are indeed identical.

Now I would only need you to tell me whether the filter mesh density (last two pics) looks like the one I linked and the white Ety filters really are the correct ones (as who knows, they could have also used a similarly looking filter with the same casing but different filter mesh density). By now I am 90% sure that AT used the white Ety filters, but I would just need your professional eyes to give me 99% security.

Well, again, without having the AT filter in front of me, I couldn't say with absolute certainty.  But they certainly do look the same.  I think there's a good chance it will work.

Apr 30, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #7,592 of 19,251
Thanks, Dave. I guess I will then order the white Ety filters.

Given that there are not that many companies for acoustic filters that other companies are getting their filters from (well, of course as long no proprietary stuff is used), I am quite sure they are using original, unaltered Etymotic Research filters - but I'll see it anyway as soon as they arrive.

Thanks again for your help, Dave. Highly appreciated.

Apr 30, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #7,593 of 19,251
Posting from the ASCAP expo. Was extremely surprised, and pleased, to discover an Etymotic stand! Talked shop with the very friendly Ety rep and got some free bi flanges out of it.

Exciting news for you guys. Two new models: er4sr and er4xr!

I tried them both out. Both sound great. Only tried one full song on both as to not take up too much time, but the SR seems to be a bit more refined than the P but is very similar. The XR on the other hand... bass in an Etymotic?! I was shocked! XR was more forward on the treble too but never ever heard bass like this from an ety.

I signed up to be emailed when they go for sale. It will be a tough choice having heard both.

Apr 30, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #7,595 of 19,251
Er4sr

Er4xr

Hope you guys can read these. I know my cell camera sucks

Hmm Here is Etymotic's ER4S and ER4P graph for comparison. Looks like the XR and SR might have slightly more emphasis between 1k - 2k, with a little less emphasis at 3k. The SR also seems to have just a bit more bass from around 300Hz on down. Hard to tell what's going on with treble, since the graphs are so smoothed.

Apr 30, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #7,596 of 19,251
Hmm Here is Etymotic's ER4S and ER4P graph for comparison. Looks like the XR and SR might have slightly more emphasis between 1k - 2k. The SR also seems to have just a bit more bass from around 300Hz on down. Hard to tell what's going on with treble, since the graphs are so smoothed.

From my quick listening the SR is more or less like the P. The P was not available so I couldn't a/b them. The rep himself said the SR aims to be like the P but "a bit more linear and a bit clearer". The XR had a bit of a "V" signature though. More bass and treble was a bit sharper. I used a pono player they had for demo playing Aretha Franklin

I'm sorry my camera shots suck, if ety doesn't post the graph online soon, i'll try to make some scans.

Apr 30, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #7,597 of 19,251

Hmm Here is Etymotic's ER4S and ER4P graph for comparison. Looks like the XR and SR might have slightly more emphasis between 1k - 2k, with a little less emphasis at 3k. The SR also seems to have just a bit more bass from around 300Hz on down. Hard to tell what's going on with treble, since the graphs are so smoothed.

From my quick listening the SR is more or less like the P. The P was not available so I couldn't a/b them. The rep himself said the SR aims to be like the P but "a bit more linear and a bit clearer". The XR had a bit of a "V" signature though. More bass and treble was a bit sharper. I used a pono player they had for demo playing Aretha Franklin

I'm sorry my camera shots suck, if ety doesn't post the graph online soon, i'll try to make some scans.

Edited my post with cropped graph comparisons. Yeah it does look like the XR has a little more emphasis at 10k. I don't think that would bother me. That XR bass is looking mighty fine... Did the mids seem at all affected by the rise in bass?

May 1, 2016 at 12:03 AM Post #7,600 of 19,251
thanks for the pics. now I'll just have to threaten somebody with my foam sword to get a pair and have a look at the impedance. then my nerdy curiosity will be totally satisfied.
about which model to pick, I tend to EQ anyway, so we'll see. but I do want one.
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #7,601 of 19,251
thanks for the pics. now I'll just have to threaten somebody with my foam sword to get a pair and have a look at the impedance. then my nerdy curiosity will be totally satisfied.
about which model to pick, I tend to EQ anyway, so we'll see. but I do want one. :D

The spec sheet claims 45 ohms @ 1khz for both. Whether or not that is true I can't say for sure.

For my one track to A/B I chose a very old (60s) recording so things like hiss, vinyl crackles, etc were much more noticable on the XR than SR. I will probably get the SR even though I loved the XR's bass.

Keep in mind i'm very treble sensitive and absolutely can not stand high end sparkle. I'm not saying the XR has sparkle or any sort of unnatural sound, but if you like your highs a little more present, you'll love the XR's treble presentation.

As to be expected from Etymotic the sound of both was extremely balanced with no muddiness at all.

I think I will go for the SR but I really really liked the XR too. it's a good thing I have 2-3 weeks before I have to make a choice. I want both but money!

I didn't ask but i'm 90% sure the cables are MMCX now. They at least looked like it. I should have taken a pic of one sans cable.

I bet ClieOS going mad imagining detachable cable Etys!

gnarlsagan I did remark to the ety rep I thought the SR has just a bit more bass than the S or P.

May 1, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #7,602 of 19,251
Im waiting for a full review of the SR and XR before i decide.

The XR might be more of my preference due to the "more emphasized treble"

May 1, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #7,604 of 19,251
Nice pictures! I can't wait to order/pre-order the SR. As for the XR version, I still have to give it a listen first. V-shaped Ety? Interesting.

And I know it's all about sound and not about looks, but I'd be a bit underwhelmed should this turn out to be the final packaging design. I expected something more modern. 
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #7,605 of 19,251
By our measurements, the accuracy score of the ER4SR is just a little bit higher than the ER4S.  The ER4XR has a bit of a bass lift, which obviously will reduce the accuracy score a bit.

It's hard to do a meaningful comparison between these graphs, but the new models have a significan peak above 10kHz that takes them away from the target curve. Can you comment on this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back