If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Apr 26, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #7,516 of 19,252
I don't understand why Etymotic does not want to include a cable with inline microphone for mobile phones? Are they assuming that professional sound engineers do not use mobile phones??? What's the point of making ER4XR/SR more mobile friendly by bringing down the impedance and yet not wanting to provide mobile phone users the convenience of being truly mobile friendly by providing an inline microphone cable for mobile phones. I know of several companies that already include an inline microphone cable and also several filters to change the sound signature with their IEMs for some time now.

Apr 26, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #7,517 of 19,252
I don't understand why Etymotic does not want to include a cable with inline microphone for mobile phones? Are they assuming that professional sound engineers do not use mobile phones??? What's the point of making ER4XR/SR more mobile friendly by bringing down the impedance and yet not wanting to provide mobile phone users the convenience of being truly mobile friendly by providing an inline microphone cable for mobile phones. I know of several companies that already include an inline microphone cable and also several filters to change the sound signature with their IEMs for some time now.

We certainly haven't ruled out the possibility of any of the cable options, but it's just going to be the stock cable at launch.  Any new designs will take time to implement. 

I appreciate the feedback from everybody on what cable options they would like to see in the future.  I'm going to be very careful not to promise anything until I know for certain it's happening (even if I completely agree that we should make it). The business decisions simply aren't solely mine to make.  But I am reading every post (both good and bad) and I will do my best to convey them.

Apr 26, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #7,518 of 19,252

Those connectors aren't proprietary, correct? Surely you could get a third party cable in the meantime.

Apr 26, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #7,519 of 19,252

Those connectors aren't proprietary, correct? Surely you could get a third party cable in the meantime.

No, they aren't proprietary, so somebody could certainly make a third party cable if they wanted.  We do have the mounting custom machined for us, but that is all on the back end; the actual snap interface is the same.

An important thing to remember: since the socket is recessed and keyed, not all aftermarket cables will fit.

Apr 26, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #7,520 of 19,252

No, they aren't proprietary, so somebody could certainly make a third party cable if they wanted.  We do have the mounting custom machined for us, but that is all on the back end; the actual snap interface is the same.

An important thing to remember: since the socket is recessed and keyed, not all aftermarket cables will fit.

So does that mean the socket is the same but the surrounding plastic was added so you could cut out a key slot for you own cables that have additional material that locks into the key slot?

So is it just that that extra material on the receiving piece make a narrow fit so that only aftermarket cables with narrower connectors will fit? If they're too thick they'll hit the extra area with the lock?

Apr 26, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #7,521 of 19,252
  Basically, there are two molded sections of the plug section of the cable:

1.)  Hard inner mold - This performs a few functions.  It's primary function is to hold the MMCX plug and trap the cable in the hard section of the cable which improves the pull force reliability at the earpiece.  There is also a section that mates with the earpiece.  It fits within the inside of the body of the earpiece which keeps it snug in place and has a key to prevent it from rotating.

It's good that the inner mold prevents rotation and rocking, but is there any O-ring or gasket that prevents dust from getting inside?

Apr 26, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #7,522 of 19,252
So does that mean the socket is the same but the surrounding plastic was added so you could cut out a key slot for you own cables that have additional material that locks into the key slot?

So is it just that that extra material on the receiving piece make a narrow fit so that only aftermarket cables with narrower connectors will fit? If they're too thick they'll hit the extra area with the lock?

The two pieces that actually tough (the outside of the male plug and the inside of the female socket) are the same as a standard MMCX housing.  The rest of the connector (basically the mounting mechanism) was custom machined to fit our design.

Some of the connectors out there are likely too large to work with the design, but I haven't spent any time researching what's out the aftermarket MMCX plug market.  I'm probably going to be very hesitant to recommend third party solutions as I have some concerns that poor implementation could cause more harm than good.  The countersunk portion of the cable is there to prevent the connector from moving around.  If that mechanical stability is removed, it would add stress on the male/female junction, which is what we were trying to avoid.

I'm not saying somebody couldn't design a good third party cable, just that there are things to consider.

Apr 26, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #7,523 of 19,252

It's good that the inner mold prevents rotation and rocking, but is there any O-ring or gasket that prevents dust from getting inside?

The outer overmold is soft and is flush with the body, which should help keep it clean.

Apr 26, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #7,524 of 19,252
The outer overmold is soft and is flush with the body, which should help keep it clean.

Okay, thanks. I hope it does.

I'll bring it up one more time and then I swear I'll stop: What were the difficulties with a screw-type connector?

Apr 26, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #7,525 of 19,252
Okay, thanks. I hope it does.

I'll bring it up one more time and then I swear I'll stop: What were the difficulties with a screw-type connector?

I'd prefer just to say it didn't work with our particular design.  We looked at COTS parts as well as our own solution and all were rejected for one reason or another. 

Apr 26, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #7,526 of 19,252

I'd prefer just to say it didn't work with our particular design.  We looked at COTS parts as well as our own solution and all were rejected for one reason or another. 

Without trying to drag engineers into the discussion, dare I say that the Implementation of any given connection system is easily 90 percent of the reliability issue. It tends to be what separates company focused on an engineered solution from an ad hoc manufacturer who bought into the "first to market" cool aid.

Then again, I own first year er4s's and have only one cable repair on them to date. My opinion should be suspect.
wink.gif

Apr 26, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #7,528 of 19,252
  @EtyDave I may have missed it, but when (or if) will the frequency response graphs be released? I'm curious! 

Probably sometime in the next couple of weeks.  It's one of a bunch of things that we're working on but it's not ready quite yet.

Apr 27, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #7,530 of 19,252
@EtyDave I asked this a few thousand posts back, but since you're here now I'll try again.

I sourced some red metal filters directly from my local Knowles distributor to get more bass from my ER4Ps and stupidly pushed them all the way into the bore. I tried using the screw-tip tool to get them out after I ordered some plastic red filters from ER, but had no luck. The screw tip can't get any purchase on the inside of the metal filter and they're stuck pretty good.

Short of buying the $300 tool from Knowles, can you suggest a method of removing metal filters without damaging the earphones?
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back