If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Apr 25, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #7,486 of 19,243
Originally Posted by Jupiterknight /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, ER is one of the few audio gear companies that I actually truly respect, because you stay true to your original product, minor changes, you don't oversell your product as others tend to do in this time and age, but we can still ask questions and I believe the Ety/HF community appreciate this! [...] Thank you :)

x2

Apr 25, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #7,488 of 19,243

We've definitely discussed it.  As soon as I have more info, I will absolutely post it here.

I am curious what the demand for it will be.  I'd love to hear from the balanced cable crowd.

Big fan of Etymotics (not that the thread name hides much). This is great news -little late to this party as I was out and about.  

I think with a slight bass bump the XR version could really be made to be extremely competitive with more "modern" earphones (i.e. less neutral tunings).  It'd be a great refresh and I do look forward to seeing what you guys will do with it.  No pressure-but great expectations.  When I first reviewed the ER4,  I hadn't expected it to become my go-to earphones.  Funny thing is, I'd be hard-pressed to name another earphone that has quite the speed and the clarity of the ER4, even on some significantly more expensive flagship models.  It's something that I do keep coming back to.

A lot of excellent points have been raised so far, but I'd like to add that if you guys are still going with the same plastic connectors (except MMCX this time around), it'd be nice if you could remove some of the flashing/ mold lines from the bit.  It'd feel a lot more premium and is definitely one of the more bothersome aspects of the ER4 from the previous generation.  Also, a harder plastic would be nice.  It's really easy to scratch the connector bit on the stock wire when removing/changing cables etc.

Apr 25, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #7,490 of 19,243
Not sure if I missed this, but will the existing ER4 line exist after these new models are introduced?

Apr 25, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #7,492 of 19,243
Definitely would like to see a balanced cable option with the locking connector.

Just curious, which particular locking connector?

Apr 25, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #7,494 of 19,243

Big fan of Etymotics (not that the thread name hides much). This is great news -little late to this party as I was out and about.  

I think with a slight bass bump the XR version could really be made to be extremely competitive with more "modern" earphones (i.e. less neutral tunings).  It'd be a great refresh and I do look forward to seeing what you guys will do with it.  No pressure-but great expectations.  When I first reviewed the ER4,  I hadn't expected it to become my go-to earphones.  Funny thing is, I'd be hard-pressed to name another earphone that has quite the speed and the clarity of the ER4, even on some significantly more expensive flagship models.  It's something that I do keep coming back to.

A lot of excellent points have been raised so far, but I'd like to add that if you guys are still going with the same plastic connectors (except MMCX this time around), it'd be nice if you could remove some of the flashing/ mold lines from the bit.  It'd feel a lot more premium and is definitely one of the more bothersome aspects of the ER4 from the previous generation.  Also, a harder plastic would be nice.  It's really easy to scratch the connector bit on the stock wire when removing/changing cables etc.

Yeah, there was a bit of flash on the previous model because of the twisted cable.  The shutoffs are improved in the new model so the molding is indeed cleaner.

The earpiece molding is actually broken up into two parts: the inner mold, which is harder than the old mold) and the outer mold, which forms the strain relief.  This is softer than the old mold.  I don't expect any issues with scratching when unsnapping it from the connector.

The old design only had one mold, which meant that the plastic had to be hard enough to hold the pins but soft enough so that the strain relief would actually move; it was a bit of a delicate balance. 

Apr 25, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #7,495 of 19,243
Sorry, meant the notched mmcx connector.

Ah, gotcha.  Thanks for the clarification. 
beerchug.gif

Apr 25, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #7,496 of 19,243
  If you missed it, so did I. I was wondering the same thing. 

From what I understand, the old models aren't going away immediately.  I don't know how long they will hang on, though.  Most likely, it would depend on demand.

The ER4B is the x-factor.  We haven't redesigned that one yet.  It sells in significantly lower numbers and we can't fit fit the electronics required in the earpiece, so we would have to make a different cable for it.  If the demand is there, I could see it happening.  For now, we are going to offer the current version.

Apr 25, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #7,497 of 19,243
Ok, for you fans of balanced connectors: what players are you using? 

Apr 25, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #7,500 of 19,243
@EtyDave

Will Etymotic be making a cable that has a built in microphone to be used with the 4XR?

Considering that the Etymotic IEMS get used in portable settings with a smartphone and work well in that environment due to the high noise isolation it is nice to see a bass boosted model as nobody has access to system wide PEQ on Android/iOS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back