If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Apr 25, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #7,501 of 19,249
  @EtyDave

Will Etymotic be making a cable that has a built in microphone to be used with the 4XR?

In most cases, I am not going to be able to say exactly what is in development for the future (we have to keep some element of surprise).  I will say that one of the benefits of the user replaceable cables is that it gives us the flexibility to offer other cable options in the future.

The best I can say is that it wouldn't shock me if there was a compatible cable with a built-in microphone at some point.  

Apr 25, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #7,502 of 19,249

In most cases, I am not going to be able to say exactly what is in development for the future (we have to keep some element of surprise).  I will say that one of the benefits of the user replaceable cables is that it gives us the flexibility to offer other cable options in the future.

The best I can say is that it wouldn't shock me if there was a compatible cable with a built-in microphone at some point.  

So it's an aftermarket accessory. That is so Etymotic.

Apr 25, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #7,503 of 19,249

So it's an aftermarket accessory. That is so Etymotic.

Please keep in mind that we are currently discussing theoretical accessory cables so I can't say with any degree of certainty what the specific configurations will be.

I would expect that any cable that we would offer would be available as an aftermarket accessory.  I would also expect that the most popular cable configurations (whatever they might be) would be stocked for purchase with a new unit as well so that an extra cable purchase would not be required.  I know that if I were a customer and I only wanted a specific cable, I'd rather just get the device shipped with the one cable I knew I would use.  That's certainly reasonable.

I don't know what the logistics would end up being.  I would hope they would be customer friendly, but based on your response I get the impression that you don't feel that is normally the case.  If that's true, feel free to shoot me a PM with your experiences.  I'd be curious to know what it was that bothered you. 

Apr 25, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #7,504 of 19,249
In the spirit of after market cables and configurations, look at the Cardas A8.  The aesthetics are highly subjective, but its implementation is pretty good. It was a nice change not having to remove the cable from the ear housing and instead keeping them on with the cable swap occurring at the Y-joint.

Apr 25, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #7,505 of 19,249
I peronally love when all accessories are shipped with the product. I realize it may add a bit of cost, but it takes the guess work out of it. No more "should i get that cable? Would thise tips work better?"...

Etymotic was good about the er4s having the 1/4" adapter, an assortment of tips, a soft pocket case, and a harder storage case. Multiple cable options would be another bonus!

As a DIY'er myself, would this new cable still ultimately be proprietary due to the locking aspect? Or are there currently DIY parts that would allow someone to make their own cable easily? I'm assuming no?

Apr 25, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #7,506 of 19,249
  In the spirit of after market cables and configurations, look at the Cardas A8.  The aesthetics are highly subjective, but its implementation is pretty good. It was a nice change not having to remove the cable from the ear housing and instead keeping them on with the cable swap occurring at the Y-joint.

I may be wrong, but I find that most cable failure actually occurs further upstream, usually at the connector where there is the most stress. Hence, not a huge fan of the Y-Joint implementation.

Apr 25, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #7,507 of 19,249
  Ok, for you fans of balanced connectors: what players are you using? 

There are quite a few balanced connector out there: Pono / Sony (dual 3.5mm TRS), A&K (2.5mm TRRS), Hifiman (3.5mm TRRS), RSA/ALO (Kobiconn), mini XLR, and the latest - JEITA's 4.4mm TRRRS, which is a totally Japanese's thing as I have no idea why they also want to reinvent the wheel.

I don't think trying to include every version of cable is feasible. Probably not even every adapter. However, A&K probably has the upper hand when it comes to number of user out there.

Apr 25, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #7,508 of 19,249
  I may be wrong, but I find that most cable failure actually occurs further upstream, usually at the connector where there is the most stress. Hence, not a huge fan of the Y-Joint implementation.

Indeed, breakage usually occurs on either end (at or on the connector or ear housing).  However, Cardas implementation is very robust and I speak from owning one.

Apr 25, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #7,509 of 19,249

There are quite a few balanced connector out there: Pono / Sony (dual 3.5mm TRS), A&K (2.5mm TRRS), Hifiman (3.5mm TRRS), RSA/ALO (Kobiconn), mini XLR, and the latest - JEITA's 4.4mm TRRRS, which is a totally Japanese's thing as I have no idea why they also want to reinvent the wheel.

I don't think trying to include every version of cable is feasible. Probably not even every adapter. However, A&K probably has the upper hand when it comes to number of user out there.

TRRRS? What.  Another proprietary design to constrict the market place and boost profits with its respective audio toys and accessories.
rolleyes.gif

I agree that A&K has the upper hand and I consider it more of a standard from any other balanced implementation for portable/DAP applications only.

Apr 25, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #7,510 of 19,249
Thanks for all the feedback, everybody. I appreciate it.

Apr 26, 2016 at 12:03 AM Post #7,511 of 19,249

I know that if I were a customer and I only wanted a specific cable, I'd rather just get the device shipped with the one cable I knew I would use.  That's certainly reasonable.

Completely agree. Specialized cables with microphones, airline adapters etc. etc. should be sold as accessories for the ER4XR and certainly not with the ER4SR. Neither IEM is aimed at the consumer market that wants to send/receive calls and it would be an especially bad time to invest Etymōtic's resources into making a cable with numerous new patents like #20160112787 just surfacing. 

Apr 26, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #7,513 of 19,249
  Dear EtyDave

Do you have the schedule we can buy new ER4 series on makert??

I can't wait anymore~

Thanks 

We're getting closer.  They should hit the market in May.  

Apr 26, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #7,514 of 19,249

Completely agree. Specialized cables with microphones, airline adapters etc. etc. should be sold as accessories for the ER4XR and certainly not with the ER4SR. Neither IEM is aimed at the consumer market that wants to send/receive calls and it would be an especially bad time to invest Etymōtic's resources into making a cable with numerous new patents like #20160112787 just surfacing. 

Airline adapters are generic and often come with an inline resistor. Easy to buy elsewhere. I'd rather Etymotic bundled a lot more filters considering how overpriced they are to buy as accessories from Etymotic and how cheap you can buy them in bulk from Mouser which also isn't viable because of the flat shipping costs being high regardless of the quantity you order.

A cable with a microphone is a basic accessory for smartphones and you are dead wrong if you think Etymotic IEMS aren't aimed at the consumer market because that is very much what the audiophile market is really. HD600 might be a 'professional' headphone but the majority buying it are audiophiles. The appeal of the Etymotic IEMS has been their high noise isolation that makes them viable for public environments and the 4XR looks like a great choice for this environment.

An Android/iOS cable is a basic accessory and as the 4XR is a more audiophile/consumer oriented version it should include a cable with a microphone. The problem with the old Etymotic cables was that Etymotic never supplied a cable with a microphone even though they absolutely should have back when the smartphones were getting popular. Getting a custom cable with a microphone for Etymotic IEMS was very expensive because it was custom made.

Etymotic have a chance to correct this and absolutely should considering their price point for a single BA IEM.

I hope the cable isn't as bad as the HF2/3/5 cable which was awful because the cable had a memory.

Would be good to see a frequency response comparison between 4SR and 4XR which should be directly comparable as both are meant to be used at the 'reference plane'. I'm also interested to see how harmonic distortion differs considering these use different balanced armatures to ER4PT. [1] [2]

Apr 26, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #7,515 of 19,249

Users who are viewing this thread

Back