If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Mar 27, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #7,202 of 19,255

I have spent a over 6 weeks switching between my stock er4s cable and the er4b cable made by @ClieOS and I say for me ER4B is alot more enjoyable than ER4S. There is just no going back. To me this brings my er4 back to my top 4 IEM in my collection. Just you wondering the other three are KSE1500, Kaede II, CK100pro, fifth would be either dita truth or ex-1000. 

Quote:
  The main difference that I can say anyone who listens to this is more pronounce speech, your S becomes more sharpe, the guitar plugs sounds like the instrument is played front of you. 

The majority of the tuning remains the same, what is different and quiet substantially is how much better vocals and instruments are played back, I can say with confidence it is second to non, that includes the KSE1500. 

I honestly thought, and that is due to all the reading, that ER4S will be just bright and unmusical and require perfect recording, well to incharge that was a false statement that I kept reading online. Okay to be fair anything which has faint background noise (you know the hissing sound)becomes more noticeable but to me it adds more naturalness to those live musical recording.

I highly recommend it, to me Er4b is made for listerning where as perhaps Er4s made for monitoring. 

And I just cannot put them down, listening to TH900 I was craving for ER4B!

Thanks!

Now I'm really thinking to buy ER-4B cable for try it but I want to be sure if difference is subtle or not? I'm not a hardcore audiophile, so difference should be obvious, at least audible for me :) Because after I change the cable, I don't want to turn back again. I think I should buy directly B or another ER4 for just try this..

Mar 28, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #7,203 of 19,255
Back to where I started, such is this circular life, can't complain I am enjoying it. ER4 owner do yourself a favour and try to audition calyx M, it bested everything I had in my position thus far. 

Mar 28, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #7,204 of 19,255
Just replaced the Etymotic ER4 stock green filter with the Ety red filter paired with ClieOS' ER4B cable and large (grey) triflange tips connected to my Chord Mojo....PURE AUDIO BLISS!!! All the details that I need minus the shouty high mids....and who said that the ER4B doesn't produce bass 
biggrin.gif

etysmile.gif

To me...the red filters with ClieOS' ER4B cable sounds more natural than the stock green filters with the ER4S cable. YMMV!

Listening to these tracks....Steely Dan's Babylon Sisters (Gaucho album), Seals and Crofts' Stars (The Longest Road album), Narada Michael Walden's Cosmic Strut (Rising Sun album), Tom Schuman's Nefertiti (Schuman Nature album), Hemispheres' Connflict (Hemispheres album), Joe Sample's Seven Years of Good Luck (Spellbound album), Larry Carlton's All In Good Time (Greatest Hits Re-Recorded Volume One album), Leonardo Amuedo's Barcelona (Angel de la Guardia album), Michael Frank's Under The Sun (Rendezvous in Rio album), Chris Jones' Long After You're Gone (Smoke and Noise album), Michael Johnson's Almost Like Being In Love (Then and Now album).........I just totally immerse myself in these tracks and enjoying every bit of it.

Mar 28, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #7,206 of 19,255
Due to popular demand, here is a new round for my ER4 replacement cable build:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/803179/etymotic-replacement-cable-for-er4-take-2

Apr 1, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #7,208 of 19,255
I imagine that the sound shouldnt be noticeably different aside from reduced microphonics compared with the stock cable.  Im looking forward to receiving mine as well, though it will probably take a while.

Unfortunately im currently having problems with my stock cable (exposed wire near the left IEM at the stress relief), and it is causing me to lose sound entirely when the cable moves around.  Along with ClieOS's cable, im also considering having them re-cabled by Ety just so that I have a spare, but was wondering, what kind of turnaround time I should expect?  

Apr 1, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #7,209 of 19,255
I imagine that the sound shouldnt be noticeably different aside from reduced microphonics compared with the stock cable.  Im looking forward to receiving mine as well, though it will probably take a while.

Unfortunately im currently having problems with my stock cable (exposed wire near the left IEM at the stress relief), and it is causing me to lose sound entirely when the cable moves around.  Along with ClieOS's cable, im also considering having them re-cabled by Ety just so that I have a spare, but was wondering, what kind of turnaround time I should expect?  

Not to take anything away from etymotic's great service, but I'd wait for ClieO's cable. You may be more than pleasantly surprised. No hype, just my experience.

Apr 1, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #7,210 of 19,255
Not to take anything away from etymotic's great service, but I'd wait for ClieO's cable. You may be more than pleasantly surprised. No hype, just my experience.

You are probably right.  I was just curious how long it would take to get them recabled by Ety, since im currently getting kind of irritated by the one side cutting in and out during listening.  At the moment the ER4 is my main headphone, and my only other alternative is the pair of Klipsch R6's that I impulse bought from Best Buy when I sadly lost my Westone W4's at the gym a few years ago.  This was almost immediately before I bought the ER4, which took me a while to get used to, but now I love them so damn much that I think it would be really hard to convince me to spend hundreds of dollars on anything but the ER4.  Unlike a lot of the audiophiles on here who have a couple of decent alternative IEMs on hand, I only have my pair of Klipsch, which quite frankly sound unacceptably bad.  Long story short, I was just wondering how long it would take to get them recabled, since it will probably be a month or two before I get ClieOS's cable in my hands.  

As far as the ClieOS cable being better, I dont doubt it (which is why I jumped on the offer as soon as I saw it).  If you were to search some of my old posts, I was interested in making my own replacement cable for the ER4 because quite frankly, the stock cable kind of sucks.  It's too long, stiff, and the microphonics are really bad if you dont wear them around the ear (and still present when you do if you are active when wearing them).  I eventually ditched the project because of part availability and my dubiousness about getting the proper resistors necessary and soldering them in properly that could handle being handled.  Someone offering to build one for me for the cost of parts and shipping is like an offer from the gods that I just cant refuse, and will most definitely be built better than my amateur ways.

Instead of getting my ER4 recabled by Ety, I could spend the same amount of money on a 'beater' pair of cheaper IEMs.  Does anyone here have any experience with the MC5 or MK5 Ety models?  

Apr 1, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #7,211 of 19,255
  Instead of getting my ER4 recabled by Ety, I could spend the same amount of money on a 'beater' pair of cheaper IEMs.  Does anyone here have any experience with the MC5 or MK5 Ety models?  

I tried both MC5 and MK5 and both are great budget headphones. I can't explain all difference between them but all I can say MC5 has more shiny highs while MK5 is more polite, like "Ety for all". Also MC5 is more durable than MK5. Lastly, MC5 has 2 years warranty while MK5 has 1 year.

Apr 1, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #7,212 of 19,255

I tried both MC5 and MK5 and both are great budget headphones. I can't explain all difference between them but all I can say MC5 has more shiny highs while MK5 is more polite, like "Ety for all". Also MC5 is more durable than MK5. Lastly, MC5 has 2 years warranty while MK5 has 1 year.

I'll add that the MC5 has a bigger shell. it's still on the small size of things for IEMs, but it's too large for me to go probe my brain like I do with other ety IEMs. that can be a deciding factor for the signature and comfort IMO.
for some reason I really like the MC5, [full subjective weirdness engaged] I feel like it lacks the usual ety dry incisive details, but for some reason, I feel like the sound is "cleaner" I have no idea how to justify this in any objective way so I won't even try. let's call it strange psycho acoustic stuff ^_^. one sure good point IMO is that you can add more bass without feeling like you're killing the sound(maybe because it's not a BA driver? IDK).

still, MC5, MK5 and I'll add EK5(the definitive background hiss remover), they all sound like they drop pretty fast after around 10khz. so no ER4 trebles on any of those.

Apr 1, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #7,213 of 19,255
I am on the opposite - really prefer the MK5 over MC5 as MC5 sounds over-dampened to my ears.

Apr 1, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #7,214 of 19,255

I'll add that the MC5 has a bigger shell. it's still on the small size of things for IEMs, but it's too large for me to go probe my brain like I do with other ety IEMs. that can be a deciding factor for the signature and comfort IMO.
for some reason I really like the MC5, [full subjective weirdness engaged] I feel like it lacks the usual ety dry incisive details, but for some reason, I feel like the sound is "cleaner" I have no idea how to justify this in any objective way so I won't even try. let's call it strange psycho acoustic stuff ^_^. one sure good point IMO is that you can add more bass without feeling like you're killing the sound(maybe because it's not a BA driver? IDK).

How about distortion? MC5 vs. ER4B/S:

(source:  M.R.O.)

MC5 sounds over-dampened to my ears.

Most definitely agree.

Apr 1, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #7,215 of 19,255
  I am on the opposite - really prefer the MK5 over MC5 as MC5 sounds over-dampened to my ears.

This was basically my main apprehension with the cheaper Ety models, since even most other high-end IEMs ive heard sound dampened to me compared with the ER4.  As a backup pair, I cant possibly hope to achieve anything close to the ER4 (though reading stuff about the HF5, I feel like it may be a contender), but typically I find most, if not all, sub-$100 IEMs to sound like bass monsters that just suck the life out of the midbass and higher end.  

Also, how does the insertion of the MK5 compare with the ER4?  I insert the ER4 very deep, and from what ive seen of the MC5, it looks like it has a bigger body and doesnt allow for the same insertion depth.  Im one of those rare people who has been able to get so used to the ER4 that I now consider them as comfortable as the Shure and Westone flagship IEMs that I used to own, except that the Ety gets a better seal (which equals better imo).  I can literally wear them for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, and still say that they are comfortable.  Tbh I prefer the minimalism in the body of the headphone and how basically they insert into my ears to the point where there is just a cord coming out of them.  This is why I cant envision getting any other replacement IEM than something else from Ety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back