If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Nov 30, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #6,751 of 19,253
Tips for Tips after years of trial and error:

I find the Westone True-Fit to be best for sound isolation, even better than the Shure olives. I use on my SE535s. The Westone are longer/bigger and insert deeper. That's the key for me. I use the giant orange ones. They get mushy over time and have to be replaced. But that takes weeks/months. When they're fresh they are unbeatable.

The Star-tips didn't work as well for me. I think they were smaller and didn't block external sound as well as the True-Fits plus the SQ/bass was weaker.

Triple flanges go in easy (moisten them) and get fairly tight. However, sound isolation and bass/SQ is not as good, kind of like the Star-tips. They are also irritating to my ears, especially with lots of listening.

Custom molded Ety's - I wouldn't pay the money again unless you can find a great audiologist you trust to do the fitting and get them TIGHT. I got the customs a couple of years ago. It took a second molding before they were close to good, the first molding left them a little loose. Even after a second molding they are not as tight as the True-Fits. I couldn't deal with asking for a third fitting, I gave up I suppose. Sound isolation is good to great with them. Comfort is also great. But if I try to move around (like exercise or even eating), forget about it, they don't retain their seal very well. Best for sitting at a desk or flying on a plane. Other part of the equation is the microphonics issue, which of course getting the custom molds did nothing to solve. So I only use my SE535s when exercising.

Nov 30, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #6,752 of 19,253
Tips for Tips after years of trial and error:

I find the Westone True-Fit to be best for sound isolation, even better than the Shure olives. I use on my SE535s. The Westone are longer/bigger and insert deeper. That's the key for me. I use the giant orange ones. They get mushy over time and have to be replaced. But that takes weeks/months. When they're fresh they are unbeatable.

The Star-tips didn't work as well for me. I think they were smaller and didn't block external sound as well as the True-Fits plus the SQ/bass was weaker.

Triple flanges go in easy (moisten them) and get fairly tight. However, sound isolation and bass/SQ is not as good, kind of like the Star-tips. They are also irritating to my ears, especially with lots of listening.

Custom molded Ety's - I wouldn't pay the money again unless you can find a great audiologist you trust to do the fitting and get them TIGHT. I got the customs a couple of years ago. It took a second molding before they were close to good, the first molding left them a little loose. Even after a second molding they are not as tight as the True-Fits. I couldn't deal with asking for a third fitting, I gave up I suppose. Sound isolation is good to great with them. Comfort is also great. But if I try to move around (like exercise or even eating), forget about it, they don't retain their seal very well. Best for sitting at a desk or flying on a plane. Other part of the equation is the microphonics issue, which of course getting the custom molds did nothing to solve. So I only use my SE535s when exercising.

Great post! I agree with all the above. One tip on the Westone tips though... They need to be properly prepared (squash the ends down) before rolling as they have much more tendency than Shure olives or Comply foams to collapse over the end of the sound tube and partially block those nozzles.

Dec 2, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #6,754 of 19,253
I tried the Comply Sport tips and they are the best soundwise, I have my ER4PT for a long time and tried just about every tip on the market, also been swayed to other IEMs including expensive Shures, Audio Technica etc but always somehow went back to the ER4s for regular use.

Dec 2, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #6,755 of 19,253
  I tried the Comply Sport tips and they are the best soundwise, I have my ER4PT for a long time and tried just about every tip on the market, also been swayed to other IEMs including expensive Shures, Audio Technica etc but always somehow went back to the ER4s for regular use.

isolation is terrible, and we lose some low end. IMO they're good for only one purpose, and that is ...sport ^_^.

Dec 5, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #6,756 of 19,253
Lately, my left eardrum has been throbbing when I've removed my ER4s after a long listening session. I can only assume it's due to getting air trapped between the tip and my eardrum. Any tips on correct insertion technique in order to prevent this? It's only started recently, after over a year of no problems, and I can't think of anything I've been doing differently insertion-wise.

Dec 5, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #6,757 of 19,253
I rub a couple of drops of olive oil on the tips, which seems to help when they leave my ears feeling raw. Twist the phones a bit and open and close your jaw while inserting them to make sure you don't pressurise the eardrum.

Dec 5, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #6,758 of 19,253
Please do not take this as some form of personal hygiene crack. I found that when I started using the ER4's some 20 years ago, after about 3 months I would get ear irritation. I started using the Curity ear cleaning solution witch comes with a squeeze bulb to sluice out the fluid after you let it sit for a while. Makes all the difference in the world. Particularly as I am in an environment with a fair amount of smog. It's the first thing I reach for whenever I feel any sort of irritation now. Cheapest audiophile accessory ever at about 10 buck for the whole kit at your local pharmacy.

Dec 9, 2015 at 5:39 AM Post #6,762 of 19,253
No need to choose. The box contains the adaptor needed to turn the ER4PT into the ER4S (it's simply an added resitor in the signal path). The only downside is that you have a slightly clumsy connector sitting on the cable.

Dec 9, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #6,763 of 19,253
  No need to choose. The box contains the adaptor needed to turn the ER4PT into the ER4S (it's simply an added resitor in the signal path). The only downside is that you have a slightly clumsy connector sitting on the cable.

Thanks for your reply, I hope they include adaptors in er4pt which they sell with us here :)

But just out of pure interest - has anyone compared the sound? How is it different?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back