If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Dec 14, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #6,781 of 19,256
  Thanks a lot! Really learned a lot today.
So adding the impedence would make the treble (in the case of er4) sounds louder, if sufficiently amped? It seems there is not much change in the bass but due to the sound signature of er4 the increase of loudness is most obviously for the treble --- so this is a matter of balance.

it's equalization done in the most basic and limited way, and usually a bad idea. IEM/headphones that sound better(subjectively) with an added resistor are a minority. the general idea for optimal use of most modern headphones/IEMs is to plug them into as small an impedance as possible(impedance bridging).
the ER4 in that respect is kind of a special kid.

Dec 15, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #6,783 of 19,256
Er4 is the second IEM I owned and I just sticked to this for 8 years and counting. I really wonder if there is any newer products that can successfully replace this wonderful IEM...

Dec 15, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #6,784 of 19,256
  Er4 is the second IEM I owned and I just sticked to this for 8 years and counting. I really wonder if there is any newer products that can successfully replace this wonderful IEM...

Not for less than 3 times the cost.

Dec 15, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #6,785 of 19,256

Not for less than 3 times the cost.

Could you give me their name? My ER4 is finally giving out and I'm between decisions of exchanging to a new one or buying different IEMs...

Dec 15, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #6,787 of 19,256

Could you give me their name? My ER4 is finally giving out and I'm between decisions of exchanging to a new one or buying different IEMs...

I really hesitate on this. Any of the "top tier flagship" IEM's will best the ETY in one area or another. The problem that I have with things along the lines of the K3003 etc and even a lot of the customs is simply this. The gain to be had is so incremental that you really have to be in love with some aspect the IEM is particularly good at rendering. To this day (and I have first year er4's's:wink: I have not found one worth holding on to for any length of time. Better bass sure the senni 800 does that but again, you lose the overall presentation of the ER4 obverse with the 3003 better atmosphere but the sig seem off  in the mid-high transition. They simply don't hold up under longterm scrutiny when the actual value is taken into consideration.

In short dollar for dollar there is no other IEM available which packs the punch of the ER4 series. There is damn good reason some 25 years on it is still in production

If you take into consideration that Ety will exchange yours for new for 70 bucks it would almost be an acoustic sin not to do it:)

Dec 15, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #6,788 of 19,256
it's one of those questions where I'm inclined to say, if you want an iphone, buy an iphone and stop looking for an android phone to do apple stuff.

upgrade is a very ambitious term. but what does it mean? more drivers? lower distortions? wider frequency extension? a certain signature? comfort? isolation?
chances are that to improve one, you'll have to give up a few other points.

I always look at audio saying "what's my problem?"(secret tip, if you don't have one, then you don't need to upgrade). to me the ER4 even with all the clever tricks and adapters, made way too much noise from the vibrations in the cable. it has been my main problem, I tried to solve it and the best solutions only gave me a feeling that it was better but still bad. so I got rid of the ER4(twice ^_^).
if etymotic decided to do an ER4 with a different shell so that cable noises would be quieter, I would buy one without thinking. I don't need a different sound, I need an ER4 in the HF5's shell!!!!!!!!
instead, because Santa never delivered on that one, I got some stuff with good treble extension but poor isolation.
other ety models with great isolation but no trebles.
and some IEMs with strong subs because the ER4 and all etys got me a little frustrated on that part.

but one with all I want, that's called speakers in a quiet room ^_^. no such thing as upgrading an IEM, they're all way too different. at best we like one better.

IMO TBH AFAIK etc etc ...
wink_face.gif

Dec 15, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #6,793 of 19,256
  If you take into consideration that Ety will exchange yours for new for 70 bucks it would almost be an acoustic sin not to do it:)

I just contacted Etymotic US and UK and asked them about the Exchange Program. The thing is with the shipping cost, price difference and tax it drives both of them over 300USD, which even costs more than buying it directly :frowning2:

Dec 15, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #6,794 of 19,256
  I wouldn't be so sure about this
smile.gif

You did notice the quotes right? I'll stand by that statement as a generallity. The issue, once again is that they usually fall short in overall presentation. There is no audiophool buzzword for it but where ETY got everything right is in pure consistency.  They do not stumble or get out of control on any kind of music or passage, the rendering is spot on all the way around. This more than anything is where they best just about every other IEM on the market.

I just contacted Etymotic US and UK and asked them about the Exchange Program. The thing is with the shipping cost, price difference and tax it drives both of them over 300USD, which even costs more than buying it directly :frowning2:

Wow. that is quite the punishment. Thats almost the price of  a flight to the States.

Dec 15, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #6,795 of 19,256
I'm really not sure what to do with my ER4S. After my ear accident I don't use them as much, but when I do I'll only use foam tips as they create the least suction. Apart from this they have kind of gained some sentiment value and high amount of respect from me, selling them doesn't feel right. Then like I said...i dont use them anymore.

Maybe time for a trophies cabinet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back