If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Oct 31, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #6,721 of 19,253
could also formulate as "go to the cable section of this forum (for recommendations) if you want to waste money".  
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #6,722 of 19,253
After going through so many IEMs, i've gone full circle and returned to my 4-year old ER4S. Pairing with the Chord Mojo has really brought them to a performance level that i've not expected. Their detail retrieval is leagues above my other IEMs costing double to triple their price. I've never actually been bothered by the ER4S bass response, sure sometimes I wished it had the body and slam, but i've never considered them anaemic. What I appreciate the most is their supreme isolation, i've not had any other IEM come close to them in terms of isolation and I believe this isolation contributes immensely to their ability to resolve micro details and retention of dynamic range. I am now considering having custom mold tips for them. Do they offer the same level of isolation compared to the triple-flange silicone tips? 

Nov 4, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #6,723 of 19,253
I use ER4 with Comply foams and better isolation is got than any of the ones coming in the box.

I use RR4 paired with AudioQuest DragonFly v1.2 connected to iPod Touch 5G. This configuration is bulky as external power bank is needed and 2 cables. I am thinking to leave dragonfly for PC only and buy an Amp/DAC MFI to connect to iPod in the range of $400 and first choice is Oppo HA-2. Any other alternatives with ER4 and iPod? I use this setup for travelling.

Is it ER4S (I have the cable) worth with Dragonfly or mobile Amp/DAC?

Thanks

Nov 6, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #6,724 of 19,253
  What I appreciate the most is their supreme isolation

I was once out on a walk and decided to have a look at a funfair in our local park. While walking around the fair I felt this strange intermittent pressure on my chest and started to get really worried (feeling heaviness and pressure on your chest is not a good sign). I took my earphone out and immediately discovered they'd set up a PA with a huge one-note bass thumper that was putting out masses of sound noise. Insulated by my ER4s I been completely unaware of it, apart from the health-scare.

Nov 9, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #6,725 of 19,253
  After going through so many IEMs, i've gone full circle and returned to my 4-year old ER4S. Pairing with the Chord Mojo has really brought them to a performance level that i've not expected. Their detail retrieval is leagues above my other IEMs costing double to triple their price. I've never actually been bothered by the ER4S bass response, sure sometimes I wished it had the body and slam, but i've never considered them anaemic. What I appreciate the most is their supreme isolation, i've not had any other IEM come close to them in terms of isolation and I believe this isolation contributes immensely to their ability to resolve micro details and retention of dynamic range. I am now considering having custom mold tips for them. Do they offer the same level of isolation compared to the triple-flange silicone tips? 

Agree with your point of view, I have the exact same feeling about the ER-4.

I've heard that custom tips do not allow deep insertion thus isolation is definitely below the standard triple-flange. 

Nov 9, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #6,726 of 19,253

I am now considering having custom mold tips for them. Do they offer the same level of isolation compared to the triple-flange silicone tips? 

When it comes to ER-4S, custom mold is risky in terms of both sound and isolation.

I prefer that If you're ok with triple flanges, then just stay with them.

Nov 14, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #6,731 of 19,253
Lol. I think you missed his implied question :)

No no, he's not asking what it sounds like? Just if anyone's tried it. :wink:

It sounds OK, good but not amazing for H20 - ER4S standards. It's quite vibrant, and detailed within reason, high gain is required and a decent amount of volume. Honestly, I've not really heard my ER4S performance as magical since I used the JDS C421 amp a long time ago. I truly respect my ER4S even going back to them after my ear injury but I don't get the magic I once had with that amp, they sound nice with Pono player, Colorfly C4. Crazy as it sounds, they lack detail compared to 1Plus2, and my Aurisonics ASG-2 with thier respectful players. Even my Fidue A83 with Cayin N6 produces more detail.

So, I'm not the right person to ask because my ER4S are not the same since selling the JDS amp. But hey, my OK might be someone else's 'amazing'

Nov 14, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #6,732 of 19,253
.... Honestly, I've not really heard my ER4S performance as magical since I used the JDS C421 amp a long time ago. I truly respect my ER4S even going back to them after my ear injury but I don't get the magic I once had with that amp, ... So, I'm not the right person to ask because my ER4S are not the same since selling the JDS amp. But hey, my OK might be someone else's 'amazing'

Its funny you say that. One of my favorite experiences with the ER4S was when it was paired with the JDS Labs C5. I was very impressed. I regret selling that amp! (You know, on second thought, it may actually have been a C421. I think it was.) 

Nov 14, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #6,733 of 19,253
Yes, I have tried this.

No no, he's not asking what it sounds like? Just if anyone's tried it. :wink:

It sounds OK, good but not amazing for H20 - ER4S standards. It's quite vibrant, and detailed within reason, high gain is required and a decent amount of volume. Honestly, I've not really heard my ER4S performance as magical since I used the JDS C421 amp a long time ago. I truly respect my ER4S even going back to them after my ear injury but I don't get the magic I once had with that amp, they sound nice with Pono player, Colorfly C4. Crazy as it sounds, they lack detail compared to 1Plus2, and my Aurisonics ASG-2 with thier respectful players. Even my Fidue A83 with Cayin N6 produces more detail.

So, I'm not the right person to ask because my ER4S are not the same since selling the JDS amp. But hey, my OK might be someone else's 'amazing'

Thanks :) I sold my C421s (AD8620 & OPA227) and C5 too and I'm missing all of them in advance.

Nov 14, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #6,734 of 19,253

Its funny you say that. One of my favorite experiences with the ER4S was when it was paired with the JDS Labs C5. I was very impressed. I regret selling that amp! (You know, on second thought, it may actually have been a C421. I think it was.) 

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
I sold my C421s (AD8620 & OPA227) and C5 too and I'm missing all of them in advance.

The old saying "you don't know what you've got until its gone"

The JDS (C421) amp really put some gorilla balls behind the sound, gave them authority, they could scream out detail in the upper mid-range till you couldn't take no more. To a point you'd literally be scared venturing the volume any higher in fear the ER4S would explode or break down.

Never found the same sound since....

Nov 14, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #6,735 of 19,253
I think there is a tinge of smoothness in the C5 amp that works really well with the er4s. I have a dx90 and pairs well with the er4s. Just not quite as smooth. But give yourself an hour or two, or a long flight and you'll find that the dx90 and er4s work well together. A little eq on the dx90 and not too much volume. Hours of enjoyment. I would love to check out a dx80.

I also really like my phonak audeo perfect bass with the green filters. Tried the grey, too harsh for me these days. Throw on some shure triple flanges with the big flange cut off and you've got some great synergy on a budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back