If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 8, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #5,371 of 19,253

Now this is what I am talking about.
* for better placement and seperation
** in order to improve soundstage

I don't get it. Better placement and separation? What kind of music are you listening to? ER4S grinds mostly any type
regular_smile .gif

Just one added armature driver will not give you better soundstage. It needs tons of it, at least, ten overall
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 8, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #5,373 of 19,253
  True, but we are allowed to hope aren't we...
wink.gif

I do understand the ER4s is more recording and rig depended than some other iems.
But on the other hand there are inherent shortcomings to the single BA design and the ergonomics which can't be denied.

I personally am looking at something akin to the UERM in overall presentation. Not saying that a future evolution/upgrade to the ER4s should directly rival the UERM, but it could use it as a reference (no pun intended) for improvements. (+ a touch more warmth?)

In response to the limitations of the single BA, look at the Grado GR10. Amazing IEM showing that a single armature can deliver top grade sound. 

Ultimately I agree with you though; at the moment, we have mid-priced IEMs like AT's IM02 giving the ER4S's a run for their money and they could definitely improve in a few areas. 

i would love for a new Ety IEM to come out. 

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #5,374 of 19,253
So what's the next step for someone that loves the ER4S but wants a little better comfort and maybe a slight boost in the low end? And not something that will cost $500+.

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #5,375 of 19,253
  So what's the next step for someone that loves the ER4S but wants a little better comfort and maybe a slight boost in the low end? And not something that will cost $500+.

I am a little ambigous on that one. A large part of me says to stick with the Ety's and use a source or amp that allows tuning of the sound sig to your desire.

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #5,376 of 19,253
Here are my impressions of the UERM compared to the ER4S. My Etymotic ER4S cable is broken so I can only do comparison from memory.
  1. Sounds somewhat warm without EQ. Emphasized lower mids and peak at 10KHz.
  2. Thicker bass texture than ER4S but similar emphasis and bass extension
  3. Treble extension not as good as ER4S. About the same treble extension as ER4P.
  4. Similar soundstage as ER4S
  5. Mids are better than ER4S, less resonances and no 3KHz peak.
  6. ER4S might have slightly better detail, mainly in the treble and upper mids (will need to do side by side comparison to confirm)
  7. Perfect fit and comfort. Most comfortable IEM ever.
  8. Similar isolation as the ER4S with small triflange tips
  9. I think I should have ordered the JH13 FreqPhase instead. Details and soundstage are better than both the ER4S and UERM (from what I recall from the universal demo). The JH13 is not neutral but if I'm going to use EQ anyway, might as well go for the more detailed IEM.

Conclusion:
Overall, the sound quality is almost on par with the ER4S. It's better than the ER4S in some areas (thicker bass, less peaks, no 3K resonance), but worse in other areas (treble extension, treble and upper mids detail). Isolation is the same but the UERM has far better comfort.

EQ I'm currently using with the UERM:

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #5,377 of 19,253
Yeah, I don't know that I plan to get something else, more curious at this point. I do love everything about my Ety's except the comfort which isn't bad but for long listening sessions my ears do tend to get a bit sore. And a little more bass without EQing wouldn't be a bad thing.

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #5,378 of 19,253
  Here are my impressions of the UERM compared to the ER4S. My Etymotic ER4S cable is broken so I can only do comparison from memory.
  1. Sounds somewhat warm without EQ. Emphasized lower mids and peak at 10KHz.
  2. Thicker bass texture than ER4S but similar emphasis and bass extension
  3. Treble extension not as good as ER4S. About the same treble extension as ER4P.
  4. Similar soundstage as ER4S
  5. Mids are better than ER4S, less resonances and no 3KHz peak.
  6. ER4S might have slightly better detail, mainly in the treble and upper mids (will need to do side by side comparison to confirm)
  7. Perfect fit and comfort. Most comfortable IEM ever.
  8. Similar isolation as the ER4S with small triflange tips
  9. I think I should have ordered the JH13 FreqPhase instead. Details and soundstage are better than both the ER4S and UERM (from what I recall from the universal demo). The JH13 is not neutral but if I'm going to use EQ anyway, might as well go for the more detailed IEM.

Conclusion:
Overall, the sound quality is almost on par with the ER4S. It's better than the ER4S in some areas (thicker bass, less peaks, no 3K resonance), but worse in other areas (treble extension, treble and upper mids detail). Isolation is the same but the UERM has far better comfort.

EQ I'm currently using with the UERM:

Those look awesome but those prices are just....kinda....stupid....lol

Feb 8, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #5,379 of 19,253
  Yeah, I don't know that I plan to get something else, more curious at this point. I do love everything about my Ety's except the comfort which isn't bad but for long listening sessions my ears do tend to get a bit sore. And a little more bass without EQing wouldn't be a bad thing.

Are you running the comply tips?

I have had the ER4S since the first year of production and thats the only tip I swear by.

Feb 9, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #5,380 of 19,253

Are you running the comply tips?

I have had the ER4S since the first year of production and thats the only tip I swear by.

What size? I have some for another IEM that I have but never use. Pretty sure the ones I have won't work but I didn't care for them on the other IEM's I used them with. Never felt like a really good fit. Might fit differently with the Etys though. I really really like that deep in the ear fit and that second to none isolation...but like I said, after a while, my ears get sore. That's with the gray tri-flange tips that came with the IEMs.

Feb 9, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #5,381 of 19,253
  What size? I have some for another IEM that I have but never use. Pretty sure the ones I have won't work but I didn't care for them on the other IEM's I used them with. Never felt like a really good fit. Might fit differently with the Etys though. I really really like that deep in the ear fit and that second to none isolation...but like I said, after a while, my ears get sore. That's with the gray tri-flange tips that came with the IEMs.

I actually don't know the Comply model number. I picked up a bunch of em at a thrift shop for next to nothing years ago. The trick with the Complys is to soak them in Hydrogen Peroxide for about a half a minute and then get them out and rinse with water. When they have dried they become a lot softer yet and easier to compress for insertion.

The tri flanges I like, but can only tolerate them for about an hour.

Feb 9, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #5,382 of 19,253
Looks like the ER4S uses the 100 series. I have some 400's. I might have to order some and try. Either the isolation or the pro version. They look like they'd have the deepest insertion. 

Feb 9, 2015 at 6:58 AM Post #5,385 of 19,253
  Looks like the ER4S uses the 100 series. I have some 400's. I might have to order some and try. Either the isolation or the pro version. They look like they'd have the deepest insertion. 

I don't recommend the pro foam on the er4. they are longer tips and the inside tube also extends further, so in effect you have a really hard time getting the er4 as deep in the ear canal. I use the pro version on IEMs that I can't fit deep because of a big shell, so I still get good isolation thanks to the foam being longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back