If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 6, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #5,341 of 19,272
  i believe westone makes a kind of oil for their customs thats you rub on your customs for a easier fit i wonder how that would work. i forget what its called, i had some of it, as it came with the large monitor vault. just a thought

Hearing-aid supply stores sell a variety of fancy oils to dissolve earwax and provide lubrication. Almond oil seems to pop up a lot, but I can't see any real difference between that and standard olive oil. You can either pay £6 for 15ml or £7 for a litre...

Feb 6, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #5,342 of 19,272
  I actually find that grape seed oil really improves the overall presentation of the music. Warms things up just ever so slightly but improves the head stage at the same time. Gives them much more of a high-end speaker setup in a perfectly proportioned room while sitting in a soft leather over stuffed chair dab smack in the middle of the sweet spot kinda feel. But that's just me. YMMV.

..saw him on a concert a few month ago...although he couldn't see me...

Feb 6, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #5,343 of 19,272

I actually find that grape seed oil really improves the overall presentation of the music. Warms things up just ever so slightly but improves the head stage at the same time. Gives them much more of a high-end speaker setup in a perfectly proportioned room while sitting in a soft leather over stuffed chair dab smack in the middle of the sweet spot kinda feel. But that's just me. YMMV.

..saw him on a concert a few month ago...although he couldn't see me...

are you sure?

biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #5,346 of 19,272
Well, this week I finally received the biflange tips that gnarlsagan recommended. They definitely give me a better and more stable seal than the stock frosted tips (the grey triflanges are too big for my ears). But one thing I noticed was that the rear edges of the flanges felt quite sharp in my ears (when properly inserted the entire tip is inside my ear canal). I managed to fix this by melting them very slightly. I mounted the tip on a stick (I used a wooden kebab skewer) and twirled it above a flame for a couple of seconds, then patted the edges with the flat of a blade, the watchphrase being Just a Tiny Amount. After doing this a few times I got to point where it no longer felt as if the edges were cutting into my skin and lubricated them with some olive oil*.

The one thing that was a little worrying is they have a wider opening (3+mm) compared to the 2mm of the stock tips. This will raise the Helmholtz frequency of the neck and might affect bass tuning, but I haven't noticed any significant change.

*Obviously I used Extra Virgin olive oil, but a proper audiophile would compare the sonic properties of Greek, Spanish and Italian cultivars.

Glad they worked out after all. There are smalls available as well though, and I wonder whether those would fit you better without needing mods.

About the opening width, I actually cut the base of the tip down a bit so that the tip fits down further onto the barrel. This allows the barrel to actually sit flush with the end of the tip instead of being recessed into the tip. Hope that makes sense. Basically it allows me to not have to worry about how the opening width of the tip will affect sound, because the end of the barrel sits flush with the end of the tip.

Feb 6, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #5,347 of 19,272
My next earphone will be the ER4P-T(S). Presently, my HF5 is connected to the JDS Labs C5D, and the sound is superb, and clean, no hiss nor noise. If anyone here is going to try out the C5D with your ER4, your feedback would be welcomed. :)

Feb 7, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #5,348 of 19,272
My next earphone will be the ER4P-T(S). Presently, my HF5 is connected to the JDS Labs C5D, and the sound is superb, and clean, no hiss nor noise. If anyone here is going to try out the C5D with your ER4, your feedback would be welcomed.
smily_headphones1.gif

ER4S with C5D. Doesn't get much better. Perfectly clean, perfectly reference.

Feb 7, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #5,350 of 19,272
Hey guys. What is the deal with this cable I've seen on eBay? Title is Apple-Etymotic ER-4P Cable for iPhone, iPad and iPod. I know everyone says to stay away from aftermarket cables, but of course I'm curious. My search skills have failed me this morning. Wondering about whether it has comparable sound quality and if course the micro phonics situation.

Feb 7, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #5,351 of 19,272
Hey guys. What is the deal with this cable I've seen on eBay? Title is Apple-Etymotic ER-4P Cable for iPhone, iPad and iPod. I know everyone says to stay away from aftermarket cables, but of course I'm curious. My search skills have failed me this morning. Wondering about whether it has comparable sound quality and if course the micro phonics situation.

No but seriously stay away

Feb 7, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #5,355 of 19,272
i felt like the highs were airy, sparkly, the mids were clean and smooth, the lows  were neutral with some good bottom end  ( we all know the er4 isnt a bass head iem), its a super clean sound, i almost want to say a clinical like sound but not in a bad way. i really enjoyed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back