If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
May 28, 2023 at 4:42 AM Post #18,647 of 19,249
My opinion about insertion depth and seal:

My ear canals take a pretty tight turn (to upwards) and if I insert any earphones too deep, I cannot hear highs or mids, because the tip of the plug hits that steep bend/curve. I may hear at least something, if I open my mouth or move my jaw but only on one side. So to me, it is more important to get tight seal. So those "marshmellowy-plugs" (sorry my poor English), are a godsend. Even those shorter silicon buds go too deep eventually. I mean they just travel deeper and deeper when I move my jaw and after a while I loose the sound.

Now, as a new Etymotic owner, I'm asking where to get those "foam-plugs"? I get so good seal, i already broke one by just pulling it out of my ear. Only thing what came out from my ear was a gray, plastic tube. I don't remember how did I get that foam out of my ear, though. It was my second or third time using them.

Attachments

• IMG_20230528_113543.jpg
    IMG_20230528_113543.jpg
    493.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 28, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #18,648 of 19,249
My opinion about insertion depth and seal:

My ear canals take a pretty tight turn (to upwards) and if I insert any earphones too deep, I cannot hear highs or mids, because the tip of the plug hits that steep bend/curve. I may hear at least something, if I open my mouth or move my jaw but only on one side. So to me, it is more important to get tight seal. So those "marshmellowy-plugs" (sorry my poor English), are a godsend. Even those shorter silicon buds go too deep eventually. I mean they just travel deeper and deeper when I move my jaw and after a while I loose the sound.

Now, as a new Etymotic owner, I'm asking where to get those "foam-plugs"? I get so good seal, i already broke one by just pulling it out of my ear. Only thing what came out from my ear was a gray, plastic tube. I don't remember how did I get that foam out of my ear, though. It was my second or third time using them.
I often put them back in with super glue. Even washing and drying them to make them look fresher even though this is not recommended by Etymotic, but this is more economical than buying them again.

May 29, 2023 at 7:45 AM Post #18,650 of 19,249
I have a pair of old- style ER4P I love, and use with an adaptor to add the resistance to make it the ER4S, iirc. I love these, love the light weight, neutral balance and especially the fit with triple flange or comply.
I apparently have small ear canals and have been unable to comfortably use iems that use the wider, standard tube, like Shures. Many are just painful, and can’t go in as deeply as the Etys.
My question- can someone recommend a wireless iem that can ideally use triple flange to fit my small ear canals?
Thank you in advance!
Pete

May 30, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #18,651 of 19,249
I bought er4sr from Adoroma two years ago but barely used, almost only on airplane. Totally headtime shuould be less than 50 hours. Recently I just found the left driver was totally died! I try to contact with Etymotic custom service and no way to get someone take my phone. I sent an email and no reply.
Is there anyone give me some suggestion what I can do?
Thanks so much!

May 30, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #18,652 of 19,249
I bought er4sr from Adoroma two years ago but barely used, almost only on airplane. Totally headtime shuould be less than 50 hours. Recently I just found the left driver was totally died! I try to contact with Etymotic custom service and no way to get someone take my phone. I sent an email and no reply.
Thanks so much!
The standard advice is to replace the filter and see if that helps. Have you tried that?

May 30, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #18,653 of 19,249
Thanks so much!
That's unfortunate. You could try swapping left and right on the cable to rule out a cable problem.

May 30, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #18,656 of 19,249
Sorry, I have no idea what's the filter. Could you explain more? Thanks
Sure, you've got these in each of your driver outlets.
https://www.etymotic.com/product/damper-filters-6-pack/

They are for blocking ingress of dirt and for tuning frequency response. Your earphones should have come with spares and a tool for removing them. Try to avoid puncturing the inner fabric of the filters so you can reuse them if you want.

May 31, 2023 at 1:54 AM Post #18,657 of 19,249
Sure, you've got these in each of your driver outlets.
https://www.etymotic.com/product/damper-filters-6-pack/

They are for blocking ingress of dirt and for tuning frequency response. Your earphones should have come with spares and a tool for removing them. Try to avoid puncturing the inner fabric of the filters so you can reuse them if you want.

It's really unfortunate that the filter-change instructions seem no longer discoverable on the website. But here's a link to the ER4 instructions with filter change on pages 8-9 (and it's the same procedure on all Etys).

If you've never changed your filters, this is definitely the first thing to try, before you go to anything more drastic.

People often wonder how often to change the filters. My answer is that I change when my Etys no longer sound magical. When I notice a little bit of growing dissatisfaction. Sometimes that's one side only, sometimes it's both. But for other people the answer might be to change when it's audibly degraded, or outright occluded. People have differing opinions about this. (I suspect I'm a little bit of an outlier, having honed my expectations of what my Etys should sound like across 20+ years of owning various models.)

Last edited:
May 31, 2023 at 2:40 AM Post #18,658 of 19,249
I have a pair of old- style ER4P I love, and use with an adaptor to add the resistance to make it the ER4S, iirc. I love these, love the light weight, neutral balance and especially the fit with triple flange or comply.
I apparently have small ear canals and have been unable to comfortably use iems that use the wider, standard tube, like Shures. Many are just painful, and can’t go in as deeply as the Etys.
My question- can someone recommend a wireless iem that can ideally use triple flange to fit my small ear canals?
Thank you in advance!
Pete
I don't think there is any tws with small nozzle avaiable out there (considering ety's triple flange is small nozzle) cmiiw unless you will use some 3rd party triple flange
another way is to use bluetooth cable module

May 31, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #18,659 of 19,249
May 31, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #18,660 of 19,249

Users who are viewing this thread

Back