If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
May 24, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #18,616 of 19,249
It's a VERY different thing to tell a customer the product is out of warranty than it is to refer them to the manufacturer for further support. This type of arrangement (first 30-90 days by retailer, followed by manufacturer for remainder) is quite common, and Drop have been dropping the ball on it for years!

Furthermore, Drop (even when Massdrop, RIP) has a history of selling grey market goods (just ask Audeze!) that legitimately don't come with a manufacturer warranty, so it is doubly confusing for folks unfortunate enough to do business with Drop to tell when they are being lied to or not by so called support.

Yeah, I would hope that a customer would be referred to the manufacturer for warranty, but that does assume that the goods are legit A-stock.

May 24, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #18,617 of 19,249
It's a VERY different thing to tell a customer the product is out of warranty than it is to refer them to the manufacturer for further support. This type of arrangement (first 30-90 days by retailer, followed by manufacturer for remainder) is quite common, and Drop have been dropping the ball on it for years!

Furthermore, Drop (even when Massdrop, RIP) has a history of selling grey market goods (just ask Audeze!) that legitimately don't come with a manufacturer warranty, so it is doubly confusing for folks unfortunate enough to do business with Drop to tell when they are being lied to or not by so called support.
Their deals have never been good enough for me to buy from them. At one point I was going to buy an Elex from them, but that was early on and at that point there was like a 3 month wait to get them. I ended up just getting an Elear with clear pads right from headphones.com for the same price and no wait.

Last edited:
May 24, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #18,618 of 19,249
Yeah, I would hope that a customer would be referred to the manufacturer for warranty, but that does assume that the goods are legit A-stock.

I don't know if you saw the actual email LR7 posted, but they are clearly claiming it doesn't have a manufacturer warranty:

I got this email from them:

Thanks for getting back to us with this information! I am sorry to hear the troubleshooting tips did not help in resolving this issue. I can certainly check the details of your order and see if it is within the return/warranty period.

After reviewing your transaction, I see that your order was delivered on 2023-02-06 and is outside of reporting period for an issue. For products that do not have an included manufacturer's warranty, customers have 30 days from the date of delivery to report an issue.

If we had the ability to source for individual parts or if there was a repair facility for this item, that would be our first step, however these options are not available in this case. For technical issues that may be resolved with troubleshooting, you can try reaching out on the product discussion board for assistance from the community who may have encountered similar issues before.

Thank you for your understanding of this policy. If we can help you with anything else in the future, please contact us.
Have a great day!

This is not the first (or likely the last) I have seen this misinformation spread directly from Drop support. I always assume that Lucid products they carry are legit, given the apparent strong relationship (ER-X etc), it would be great if you folks would clarify their support obligation to them. The blame rightly lies with Drop support, but when they claim Lucid products only have a 30 day warranty, it makes you look bad too.

Their deals have never been good enough for me to buy from them. At one point I was going to buy an Elex from them, but that was early on and at that point there was like a 3 month wait to get them. I ended up getting just getting an Elear with clear pads right from headphones.com for the same price and no wait.

Massdrop used to have fantastic collabs. I still love my TRx Ebony I bought from them many years ago. The ER-X is pretty nice too. But yeah, the rest of their business is a huge turn off for me, I avoid them if at all possible.

May 24, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #18,619 of 19,249
I don't know if you saw the actual email LR7 posted, but they are clearly claiming it doesn't have a manufacturer warranty:

This is not the first (or likely the last) I have seen this misinformation spread directly from Drop support. I always assume that Lucid products they carry are legit, given the apparent strong relationship (ER-X etc), it would be great if you folks would clarify their support obligation to them. The blame rightly lies with Drop support, but when they claim Lucid products only have a 30 day warranty, it makes you look bad too.

Massdrop used to have fantastic collabs. I still love my TRx Ebony I bought from them many years ago. The ER-X is pretty nice too. But yeah, the rest of their business is a huge turn off for me, I avoid them if at all possible.

Yeah, I'll figure out exactly what's going on.

May 24, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #18,620 of 19,249
This is within their ER2 listing:
IMG_0804.jpeg

The problem is probably more with their support staff not knowing anything. The customer should have been referred to Ety if Drops return period was over.

Last edited:
May 24, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #18,622 of 19,249
This is within their ER2 listing:

The problem is probably more with their support staff not knowing anything. The customer should have been referred to Ety if Drops return period was over.
Hi Jason, nice find 👍

May 24, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #18,623 of 19,249
Thank you for your help! I will try your suggestions in the morning. I need some sleep first.

Sleep is important. :)

May 24, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #18,625 of 19,249
Nah, more music listening with headphones and less sleep. :ksc75smile:

I've tried not sleeping. It works for a bit, but always goes wrong eventually.

l-intro-1651853480.jpg

May 24, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #18,626 of 19,249
Insertion depth definitely makes a difference, but a longer eartip will change the acoustics as well. Going from a standard cut 3-flange to a fully uncut 3-flange will cause a bit of a peak at 4kHz and it will slope down from there, resulting in a bit lower output as it approaches 10kHz.

At least, that's what I remember from the last time I made that measurement. :wink:
So in conclusion, the longer the stem, the less treble?

May 24, 2023 at 10:43 PM Post #18,627 of 19,249
So in conclusion, the longer the stem, the less treble?

Unfortunately, it's not that simple or straightforward. The response doesn't move all THAT much for the first few mm of extra sound channel. If anything, the treble slightly increases. As the eartip heads towards the fully uncut 3-flange (which is 10mm longer than the stock tip), then the high end has definitely shifted downward. But, at the same time, there's a shifting peak between 4-5kHz.

So, things are undulating a bit. And, of course, insertion depth may change as a function of using a different eartip length as well. Acoustics are fun. :)

May 25, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #18,629 of 19,249
Unfortunately, it's not that simple or straightforward. The response doesn't move all THAT much for the first few mm of extra sound channel. If anything, the treble slightly increases. As the eartip heads towards the fully uncut 3-flange (which is 10mm longer than the stock tip), then the high end has definitely shifted downward. But, at the same time, there's a shifting peak between 4-5kHz.

So, things are undulating a bit. And, of course, insertion depth may change as a function of using a different eartip length as well. Acoustics are fun. :)
Thanks for the explanation, Dave!
Yeah, acoustics are fun and always makes curious 😁

May 25, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #18,630 of 19,249
Thanks for the explanation, Dave!
Yeah, acoustics are fun and always makes curious 😁

Sure thing. It is fun, and curiosity is always a good thing. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back