If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jul 9, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #16,891 of 19,256
Jul 10, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #16,894 of 19,256
Love the speed of the bass on my HF5. Definitely adequate, and so different from most other earphones... the precision and detail overall is definitely breath-taking though
BA drivers seem to sound like Electrostatic drivers. The ER4SR, KSE1200, LCD 2C all seem to be free of the smearing DD headphones suffer from which many companies use to sound fat with a 4db bass boost under 190Hz.
From what I've read and measurements I've seen, the Evo strays further from the the target in contrast to the ER4XR. If you didn't like the XR, then I don't think the Evo would do you any favors as it goes further in that direction (slightly).
I'm more confused why they went with darker sound?, That the biggest issue with multi BA headphones they roll off too quick.

Jul 10, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #16,896 of 19,256
BA drivers seem to sound like Electrostatic drivers.
Not really, taking into consideration numerous implementations on the market. At least, to my ears.

I'm more confused why they went with darker sound?, That the biggest issue with multi BA headphones they roll off too quick.
According to measurements it's anything but dark, just like entire ER4 line. But that audiophile trendy peak at 8-9 kHz...Maybe it's not that bad as it seems.

Jul 10, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #16,897 of 19,256
BA drivers seem to sound like Electrostatic drivers. The ER4SR, KSE1200, LCD 2C all seem to be free of the smearing DD headphones suffer from which many companies use to sound fat with a 4db bass boost under 190Hz.

So there are two low-end BA drivers in the EVO and one mid/high driver. So it’s actually able to deal with bass very well.
Not really, taking into consideration numerous implementations on the market. At least, to my ears.

According to measurements it's anything but dark, just like entire ER4 line. But that audiophile trendy peak at 8-9 kHz...Maybe it's not that bad as it seems.
The EVO? It’s definitely a darker sound, even compared to the ER4XR (from measurements). There is a little more bass and the pinna gain around the 2.5k region is reduced as well (But only by a couple dB). You are right that it’s not as bad as it seems. But someone who doesn’t like the XR tuning would likely not like the EVO either since it is more XR than the ER4XR.

Jul 10, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #16,898 of 19,256
No, if you already like ER4SR, you can try ER2SE instead of Evo considering flat bass is your taste.
The advantages of ER2SE over ER4SR are much lower distortion, and better dynamics from DD than BA drivers. IMO
I find that hard to believe, no offense. I bought the ER2SE because I read comments like this. But the ER2SE is not remotely in the same league as the ER4SR. Etymotic know that and priced it accordingly.

Jul 10, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #16,899 of 19,256
Hello,

I own a pair of ER4XR, got them used and they only came with a pair of tri-flange tips. Before I buy lots of them, I would like to try out a larger variety of tips and see which fit me best. I looked on the official website but they don’t sell singles, they only sell 10 packs and bulk.

I am looking to buy: 1 pair tri-flange large, 1 pair tri-flange medium, 1 pair two-flange large and 1 pair two-flange medium.

If anyone can sell (any of or all of) the above, please PM me.

Thank you

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #16,900 of 19,256
Hello,

I own a pair of ER4XR, got them used and they only came with a pair of tri-flange tips. Before I buy lots of them, I would like to try out a larger variety of tips and see which fit me best. I looked on the official website but they don’t sell singles, they only sell 10 packs and bulk.

I am looking to buy: 1 pair tri-flange large, 1 pair tri-flange medium, 1 pair two-flange large and 1 pair two-flange medium.

If anyone can sell the above, please PM me.

Thank you
Email them, they have a multi-tip set that includes some of everything. Etymotic doesn't have a single-flange tips available though, unless you count their foam tips.

Jul 10, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #16,902 of 19,256
Email sent. I don’t like foamies. I just need some tri flange (M+L) and maybe some dual flange (M+L).
Some people have used 3rd party tips as well. Thin-nozzle tips do work with Etys. Spinfit, Shure, and Westone are all popular 3rd party tips for Etymotics.

Jul 10, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #16,903 of 19,256
Well I am back...

I have sold / moved on the following
Sony 507 DAP,
Hiby R6 Pro DAP

and had settled on this portable rig

iPhone 12 Pro Max
Qobuz
Apple camera Kit cable
+
THX Onyx portable USB DAC
+
3.5 mm - unbalanced cable
+
Empire Ear Nemesis IEMs

But while downsizing I rediscovered a travel pouch with
Etymotic ER4XR - in Snugs custom ear molds
Short 2.5 mm balanced cable - (thanks @ClieOS )
Qudelix 5 Bluetooth DAC/Amp + a 'name badge magnet' system to attach it halfway down my T shirt

I can be found bitching all over this forum that no IEMs will stay in my ear - (OK - so I got custom's made for the EE Nemesis pair)
and that my footsteps wearing Etymotic's cause a huge thunderous sound in my ears (it's not the cable, it's the bone transmission) but the Snugs custom molds really help that (does not remove it totally though) - I can really recommend Snugs custom molds to anyone in love with the Ety sound but struggling with the deep insertion / messing around with umpteen tips and never getting really anywhere or suffering discomfort etc...

Anyhow - with the pandemic I am not doing a lot of commute / inner city walking so - I can wear the Ety / Snugs combo to pad around the house. Besides the EE's are hard plastic and can be difficult to pull out in a hurry (they are more of a long term wear thing) whereas the soft silicon Snugs 'peel' out of my ears with relative ease..

The benefit of this Ety / Snugs / Qudelix set up is
I can take calls (iPhone wont allow external mic when using lightning port - USB)
I can switch on 'ambient mode' to hear people in stores etc
I can charge my phone
I can charge the Qudelix

The ER4XR's sound great and with a bit of Qudelix eq I have them tweaked to match the $$$ sound I get with the THX Onyx / Empire Ear Nemesis combo.

It's a shame its just AAC Bluetooth codec from the iPhone but... an Apple fanboi can't have everything.. I think I am done with portable DAPs so it's a tearful wave goodby to LDAC codec....

Report ends - it's good to be back

26EE258B-5149-42A3-A482-034790533D3A.jpeg
1C3F5A85-C98F-491B-815E-FA294A49E052.jpeg
image.jpg
C9AE87E6-C199-46CE-8A91-15341BA51DDD.jpeg

(I could of course attach the Qudelix by USB to the iPhone via the camera kit cable but with the cable noise risk that Etys can suffer from - I would rather use this system - its semi hands free)

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #16,904 of 19,256
I find that hard to believe, no offense. I bought the ER2SE because I read comments like this. But the ER2SE is not remotely in the same league as the ER4SR. Etymotic know that and priced it accordingly.
Yep the ER2 is quite overhyped, The bass is too slow for fast genres like metal/Breakcore. It hit a detail/res wall that sounds weird on anything electronic. Too many here/Reddit don't want to admit that BA/planar headphones make dynamic headphones look dated and maxed out, Since a EQ'd HE400i/ER3XR can outperform DD headphones 5 times their price.

There are some fun Reddit reviews that seem to try to claim the ER4SR being BA based is holding It back, Then explode when challenged about that.

Jul 11, 2021 at 7:01 AM Post #16,905 of 19,256
Yep the ER2 is quite overhyped, The bass is too slow for fast genres like metal/Breakcore. It hit a detail/res wall that sounds weird on anything electronic. Too many here/Reddit don't want to admit that BA/planar headphones make dynamic headphones look dated and maxed out, Since a EQ'd HE400i/ER3XR can outperform DD headphones 5 times their price.

There are some fun Reddit reviews that seem to try to claim the ER4SR being BA based is holding It back, Then explode when challenged about that.
Yes, well said. I've noted in the past how it's treated as conventional wisdom by many here that dynamic drivers are superior in terms of "timbre." And yet the dynamic driver fans always seem to be in search of something better. When I wrote that post, I hadn't heard the ER4SR, or any Etymotic, yet. Once I got it (and figured out my fit issues), I was shocked out how horribly distorted and slow everything else I had sounded. The ER2SE was at least tuned properly, but it just sounds like inferior tech.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back