If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jun 26, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #16,877 of 19,253
Jul 3, 2021 at 3:16 AM Post #16,878 of 19,253
Been listening to Lustmord ~ beyond, The sub bass blast in the 1st track really shows the ER4S has the same speed/detail as any $900+ planar/Electrostatic headphone. When I add a 5db 100Hz Low shelf It just adds more quantity when needed while many dynamic drivers seem to collapse to keep up on much faster music like brutal death metal.

Jul 3, 2021 at 4:31 AM Post #16,879 of 19,253
Love how the 2xr sounds with symbio tips. Improves upon all 3 of the stock tips and is better than any of the other popular third-party options. Competes with many $500+ iems IMO. Unfortunately, they're not comfortable enough to keep in my ears for more than about an hour at most. And that's with me lubing them up with a bit of aloe vera beforehand. If the foam in the symbio tips was about 25% softer, these would be perfection. As is they're like little orange rocks. Certainly harder than any foam used in a comply, dekoni, etc tip. Ah well, I s'pose I can keep them for shorter listening sessions, like when I go out for a walk, and keep hunting for the elusive perfect tip for this thing.

Jul 5, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #16,880 of 19,253
@EtyDave
Will etymotic consider make middle size 3-flange tips ?
There is a problem for me that ER38-15SM is too small it only seal the last flange and reducing Isolation,
and the ER38-18 is too large the last flange of the tips will fold inside my ears generate discomfort.
Already tried new dual flange tips,but I like 3-lange tips sound more.
thanks

Jul 5, 2021 at 5:05 AM Post #16,881 of 19,253
@EtyDave
Will etymotic consider make middle size 3-flange tips ?
There is a problem for me that ER38-15SM is too small it only seal the last flange and reducing Isolation,
and the ER38-18 is too large the last flange of the tips will fold inside my ears generate discomfort.
Already tried new dual flange tips,but I like 3-lange tips sound more.
thanks
You can try cutting the 3rd flange from the large triple flange. Cut only the flange without cutting the stem. I think the sound will not be much different from the large triple flange intact. And I think the sound is much better than the stock dual flange.

Attachments

• IMG_20210610_194533.jpg
    IMG_20210610_194533.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Jul 5, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #16,882 of 19,253
Love how the 2xr sounds with symbio tips. Improves upon all 3 of the stock tips and is better than any of the other popular third-party options. Competes with many $500+ iems IMO. Unfortunately, they're not comfortable enough to keep in my ears for more than about an hour at most. And that's with me lubing them up with a bit of aloe vera beforehand. If the foam in the symbio tips was about 25% softer, these would be perfection. As is they're like little orange rocks. Certainly harder than any foam used in a comply, dekoni, etc tip. Ah well, I s'pose I can keep them for shorter listening sessions, like when I go out for a walk, and keep hunting for the elusive perfect tip for this thing.

To me, my Moondrop Starfield are a great alternative to the ER2XR when I don't want that typically deep and secure Ety insertion and fit. Be aware though that when compared to the ER2XR, they carry somewhat more warmth and bass quantity while the midrange and tuning are almost identically tuned (ultimately depending on the fit and insertion depth), and that they generally sound somewhat softer and less clean in the lows (isolation is weaker as well due to the venting and less deep insertion, if that matters to you). Still an excellent alternative if one's looking for IEMs that require a less deep fit while coming extremely close to the midrange and treble tuning (along with a bit more (low) bass quantity and warmth).

Jul 5, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #16,883 of 19,253
You can try cutting the 3rd flange from the large triple flange. Cut only the flange without cutting the stem. I think the sound will not be much different from the large triple flange intact. And I think the sound is much better than the stock dual flange.
Yes,it's a solution, tried it before.
I even cutting half of the large flange that can get best seal for me.
Maybe I'm a little bit obsession because I cutting it too ugly everytime,so I hope etymotic can make a meddie 3-flange official.
image_1.jpg

Jul 5, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #16,884 of 19,253
You can try buying filters in USA and using a forwarder like Shipito or Ship7 to get them to Europe; for small packages it'll likely be 20-30$ shipping. Not exactly cheap, but usually cheaper than the shipping provided by the seller (if they ship outside NA at all). It can be made more cost-effective by buying multiple orders of filters at once.

Jul 6, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #16,885 of 19,253
To me, my Moondrop Starfield are a great alternative to the ER2XR when I don't want that typically deep and secure Ety insertion and fit. Be aware though that when compared to the ER2XR, they carry somewhat more warmth and bass quantity while the midrange and tuning are almost identically tuned (ultimately depending on the fit and insertion depth), and that they generally sound somewhat softer and less clean in the lows (isolation is weaker as well due to the venting and less deep insertion, if that matters to you). Still an excellent alternative if one's looking for IEMs that require a less deep fit while coming extremely close to the midrange and treble tuning (along with a bit more (low) bass quantity and warmth).

I actually nearly bought the Starfield before settling on the 2xr. I love the isolation they provide in addition to how they're tuned, so I'm trying to exhaust all possibilities rolling tips before giving up on 'em. Obviously the softest foam tips out there are pretty comfy but they tweak the sound in a way I don't love. Soft and comfy foamies are great for a lot of cheap chi-fi (like my beater iem, the ZS 10 Pro) bc they warm things up and dull the treble hammer nicely, but that's not really necessary with the 2xr.

Jul 8, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #16,888 of 19,253
I love ER4SR, ER4XR bass was too much for me.
I also have Nio, U12T, CA Solaris but I found myself using ER4SR most of the time.
Any love for their new IEM Evo?

Sure, it's awesome IMHO. But if you like the SR better than the XR, I wouldn't recommend you buy the EVO. The EVO is most definitely XR flavored.

Jul 8, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #16,889 of 19,253
I love ER4SR, ER4XR bass was too much for me.
I also have Nio, U12T, CA Solaris but I found myself using ER4SR most of the time.
Any love for their new IEM Evo?
From what I've read and measurements I've seen, the Evo strays further from the the target in contrast to the ER4XR. If you didn't like the XR, then I don't think the Evo would do you any favors as it goes further in that direction (slightly).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back