If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jul 11, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #16,906 of 19,256
Yes, well said. I've noted in the past how it's treated as conventional wisdom by many here that dynamic drivers are superior in terms of "timbre." And yet the dynamic driver fans always seem to be in search of something better. When I wrote that post, I hadn't heard the ER4SR, or any Etymotic, yet. Once I got it (and figured out my fit issues), I was shocked out how horribly distorted and slow everything else I had sounded. The ER2SE was at least tuned properly, but it just sounds like inferior tech.
Yeah, DDs are distortion boxes low THD ones are rare and have limitions you can magically fix without making a new driver. They only favour it because there used to it flaws, many big name full size headphones that use DDs are hot messes for THD and failing to match any tuning target. I sold the DD based headphones because they reminded of me of how CRT screens looked worse than any good LED/OLED 1440p monitor. It also fun how Stax headphones from the 70s rival any modern dynamic headphone.

The ER4SR like a lab level clean window without any added distortion when things get complex. It dosen't take much for them to distort either since that could be why the ER2SE sounds warmer than the ER4XR. Heck the HD600 driver legit distorts the moment when fed with EDM or you boost the bass by 6db.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #16,907 of 19,256
Yep the ER2 is quite overhyped, The bass is too slow for fast genres like metal/Breakcore. It hit a detail/res wall that sounds weird on anything electronic. Too many here/Reddit don't want to admit that BA/planar headphones make dynamic headphones look dated and maxed out, Since a EQ'd HE400i/ER3XR can outperform DD headphones 5 times their price.

There are some fun Reddit reviews that seem to try to claim the ER4SR being BA based is holding It back, Then explode when challenged about that.
i am at the same boat as you, sold all DD or something that has DD in it, have he400i 2020 and ER4S, planars and BAs is the way to go for me, but i love breakcore, so speed is needed

Jul 11, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #16,909 of 19,256
I personally think there is a lot of personal taste involved here.
True, when it comes to measurements, DD look inferior. However, I think no technology is perfect (and for that reason my personal headphone collection includes DD, planars and eStat. No BA based headphones exist AFAIK). When it comes to IEMs, I have: single DD, single BA, multi-BA, multi-driver hybrids. Again, I think all have their merits, and I agree that some are better suited for some music genres than others.
Another note on better measuring equipment (be it IEMs, amps, etc.) - sometimes, worse measuring gear sounds more pleasing to our ears! Best example IMHO is tube amps vs. solid-state amps. Tube amps always (or at least 98.7% of the time) measure worse, but many (me included) love the tube sound better. I totally see how others would prefer solid state better. Would you say chocolate ice cream is better than vanilla? Just different flavors and different people have their preferences.

Jul 12, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #16,911 of 19,256
Yeah, that why I only ment in a objective sense. I doubt the average audiophile can tell ER2 vs ER4SR, I've had the ER4SR for 3+ years going to the ER2SE was bit of a shift. I just find something like the HD800S/Utopia a hard choice when you can get sundara for £250 or the HD560S which only peaks 1% at 98db with a 38mm driver.

But on music like Breakcore it night & day, Artists like P.O.S - #8 the ER4SR the bass doesn't spill everywhere like on DD headphones. Since this album has 400 bpm drum beats.

Jul 12, 2021 at 5:25 AM Post #16,912 of 19,256
Great things start to lose its value if consumed on a daily basis. Therefore, it's good to have something for casual listening that is relatively a step or two behind your best gear.
I have to correct this statement, dependable gear makes something else obsolete and maintains value (instead of the economically assumed lowering after 'new').

Argumentum ad absurdum; Do you need to be punched in the face every once in a while, to be reminded how nice it feels NOT to be bullied?

Jul 12, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #16,913 of 19,256
I personally think there is a lot of personal taste involved here.
True, when it comes to measurements, DD look inferior. However, I think no technology is perfect (and for that reason my personal headphone collection includes DD, planars and eStat. No BA based headphones exist AFAIK). When it comes to IEMs, I have: single DD, single BA, multi-BA, multi-driver hybrids. Again, I think all have their merits, and I agree that some are better suited for some music genres than others.
Another note on better measuring equipment (be it IEMs, amps, etc.) - sometimes, worse measuring gear sounds more pleasing to our ears! Best example IMHO is tube amps vs. solid-state amps. Tube amps always (or at least 98.7% of the time) measure worse, but many (me included) love the tube sound better. I totally see how others would prefer solid state better. Would you say chocolate ice cream is better than vanilla? Just different flavors and different people have their preferences.
Not to mention experience and nostalgia skewing listener's new experiences through our plastic brain.

Jul 12, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #16,914 of 19,256
i am at the same boat as you, sold all DD or something that has DD in it, have he400i 2020 and ER4S, planars and BAs is the way to go for me, but i love breakcore, so speed is needed
We are in an ER4-loving forum here. Good to see cheaper models are still community-wise considered inferior. Still they may be great value?

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #16,916 of 19,256
The ER3XR goes for $100 as well in most places?.
My favorite Ety. I listen to them every Monday and Thursday. I’m listening to them right now. 🤘🏻

Jul 12, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #16,917 of 19,256
Looking for recommendations for a replacement cable ER4XR - 3.5mm unbalanced (standard)

1.2 meters

any on Ali Express?

The stock cables seem so expensive!

Any tips? @ClieOS ????

Should I buy the 3's just to get the cable? (and have spare drivers?)

Many thanks

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #16,919 of 19,256
My favorite Ety. I listen to them every Monday and Thursday. I’m listening to them right now. 🤘🏻
Did you try the ER4XR?
As mentioned in my ER4XR impressions (posted yesterday):
Unlike ER3SE vs. ER4SR - a comparison in which I could not tell them apart personally (I am sure people with golden ears WILL be able to)...
In the ER3XR vs. ER4XR - I could hear the difference, and I do feel you get rewarded for the extra cost.

Again, all my own personal experience. YMMV :)

Jul 12, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #16,920 of 19,256
Should I buy the 3's just to get the cable? (and have spare drivers?)
Please keep in mind the ER2's and ER3's come with a different (cheaper) cable than the ER4's...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back