If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jan 28, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #16,201 of 19,246
Just another example for that the frequency response is ultimately and clearly the number one factor when it comes to in-ears' and headphones' perceived sound quality (surely not the only, but clearly the most important one).

I agree, that's what I have been thinking all along as well......and I have always imagined that if we are to fully ascertain/appreciate the benefits (if any) of multi-drivers / hybrid driver setups, someone out there should build a multi-BA or hybrid IEM which is tuned to fully mimick the FR of the ER4, and let people see what are the differences (if any). Just saying...

Jan 30, 2021 at 5:21 AM Post #16,202 of 19,246
There was a little talk earlier in the thread about these cables from eBay, myself and another poster had difficulty fitting them but we got there in the end.

Anyway, thought I'd better drop in since less than two months later one of the channels has cut out so that's back to a 'not recommended' for me. Back to square one on the cable front and since importing to the UK from a lot of countries just got a lot more expensive I'm probably going to have to eat up buying another Etymotic one which I'm a bit loathe to do after the first one was faulty and their support wasn't great in my opinion ('Why not simply buy a whole new set of earphones at a 20% discount?' - erm, yeah, I'll pass on that thanks).

I love the way the ER4XRs sound when everything's being well-behaved but since that hasn't been often since I bought them I can't help feeling like I paid £270 for a lot of hassle.

Sorry for the moan but hopefully balanced out a bit by a heads-up on that eBay cable!

Jan 30, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #16,203 of 19,246
There was a little talk earlier in the thread about these cables from eBay, myself and another poster had difficulty fitting them but we got there in the end.

Anyway, thought I'd better drop in since less than two months later one of the channels has cut out so that's back to a 'not recommended' for me. Back to square one on the cable front and since importing to the UK from a lot of countries just got a lot more expensive I'm probably going to have to eat up buying another Etymotic one which I'm a bit loathe to do after the first one was faulty and their support wasn't great in my opinion ('Why not simply buy a whole new set of earphones at a 20% discount?' - erm, yeah, I'll pass on that thanks).

I love the way the ER4XRs sound when everything's being well-behaved but since that hasn't been often since I bought them I can't help feeling like I paid £270 for a lot of hassle.

Sorry for the moan but hopefully balanced out a bit by a heads-up on that eBay cable!
The only connectors I used and found worked well was the RF174 L shaped, a good snap fit and with a bit of heat shrink up to the collar stops any spin, but in saying that I eventually stuck with the stock cables for my ER2XR / ER4XR/ ER4SE and being fully 4 core just re terminated them to 4.4mm balanced, any areas which are considered weak like the cable entry to the MMCX I just add a small amount of loctite 3090 which sets like concrete and prevents any chance of them pulling apart.

Jan 30, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #16,204 of 19,246
For those in the UK after either the 4XR or 4SE , just grabed a set of both for £377 including priority shipping and all import fees off Amazon US.
UK £315 4XR / £305 4SE
US £189 or either one with shipping and taxes / import duty.
And Hifiheadphones are doing the ER2XR for £99.95

Jan 31, 2021 at 6:30 AM Post #16,205 of 19,246
Bought a week ago Hifiman Sundara, just to have another sounding alternative for HD600 and more comfortable then ER3SE, yesterday my children were a bit to loud so I decided to switch from Sundara to ER3SE and oh my god, how they sound, I thought will be a huge difference, but no, they sound amazing, I even can’t say which I preffer more. Maybe high gain of my amp add more juice to sound, because previously I use them with low gain amp. Now Im looking to buy ER4SE.

Jan 31, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #16,206 of 19,246
@EtyDave, are the red filters the same in both packs.
Screenshot_20210131-141401_eBay.jpgScreenshot_20210131-135846_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Jan 31, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #16,207 of 19,246
Jan 31, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #16,209 of 19,246
Maybe looking for these (long stem). I think they are what came with the MK5:

https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/accessories/qsa/er38-18cll.html
@EtyDave, I would like to know if this ER38-18CLL is the same large tips that originally came with the MK5?
The large clear tips that came with my MK5 are surely not "long stem", they have recessed stems which are not the same as the ER38-18CLL that recommended for MK5 on the Etymotic site.
Which tips should I exactly look for if I want a direct replacement for my MK5 large tips?

Jan 31, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #16,210 of 19,246
@EtyDave, I would like to know if this ER38-18CLL is the same large tips that originally came with the MK5?
The large clear tips that came with my MK5 are surely not "long stem", they have recessed stems which are not the same as the ER38-18CLL that recommended for MK5 on the Etymotic site.
Which tips should I exactly look for if I want a direct replacement for my MK5 large tips?

Yeah, the ones that shipped with aren't long stem. These should work:

https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/accessories/er4-new/er38-18cl-4sx.html

You can get them in grey or clear, depending on what your preference is.

The long stem ones are actually the same tips, just with the stems uncut. So you *could* get those and then cut them down with a sharp razor blade to whatever stem length you prefer.

Jan 31, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #16,211 of 19,246

I have a balanced cable made by the ebay seller in your link. It hap worked perfectly for me. I believe they warrant their cables for 2 years. If the cable has failed I strongly suggest that you contact them. (you can message through ebay. They are very accommodating and easy to communicate with. I will bet you they will stand behind their work.

Feb 1, 2021 at 4:39 AM Post #16,212 of 19,246
I agree, that's what I have been thinking all along as well......and I have always imagined that if we are to fully ascertain/appreciate the benefits (if any) of multi-drivers / hybrid driver setups, someone out there should build a multi-BA or hybrid IEM which is tuned to fully mimick the FR of the ER4, and let people see what are the differences (if any). Just saying...

Much of the magic seems to be from them exploiting people are closet bassheads. Many single driver IEMs with BA or DD can reach +9db while there drivers are under 8 mm with same sound. The only gains I see from a 5.9mm dual BA ER4XR/SR is more bandwidth, But I could see next gen full range BAs(<0.3% at 1KHz) be a thing.

But that won't stop people mimicking a ER4SR on the multi driver Ety. If there are gains beyond being warmer than the 4XR.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #16,213 of 19,246
I have a balanced cable made by the ebay seller in your link. It hap worked perfectly for me. I believe they warrant their cables for 2 years. If the cable has failed I strongly suggest that you contact them. (you can message through ebay. They are very accommodating and easy to communicate with. I will bet you they will stand behind their work.
Thanks for the heads-up, I hadn't spotted the two year warranty! The seller was really good to deal with before and immediately offered a refund or replacement this time.

I think I'm just cursed with cables but hopefully the next one will break the combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back