If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jan 24, 2021 at 2:34 AM Post #16,171 of 19,243
IMG_20210124_153322.jpg

Here is the actual re-cabled 3xr.

Jan 24, 2021 at 2:45 AM Post #16,172 of 19,243

Here is the actual re-cabled 3xr.
Looks the same cable, I doubt they have various types of cores for different sets. Made up a few with the L shaped RG174 mmcx's and work fine but to be fair the stock cable is good enough just to re terminate and does look more uniformed.
Are those final E tips with the adaptor your using ?

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 6:58 AM Post #16,174 of 19,243
Looks the same cable, I doubt they have various types of cores for different sets. Made up a few with the L shaped RG174 mmcx's and work fine but to be fair the stock cable is good enough just to re terminate and does look more uniformed.
Are those final E tips with the adaptor your using ?
Sorry those are not mine and not sure what tips were used.

Jan 24, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #16,176 of 19,243
Does anyone know where I can source some of the Sonion SSD dampers? I wanted to try the white/brown dampers with my ER4. From what I can tell the ER series uses the Sonion rather than Knowles dampers. Knowles seems to be readily available on mouser/digikey but I'm not having the same luck with Sonion.

Jan 25, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #16,178 of 19,243
Hi, hmm I'm new here, so I hope I didn't do anything wrong.

Anyway, I've had my ER4B for two years now. However, I've been very concerned with the tips durability. Don't know why, only after around four to six months, the tri flange tips are already loose. I've used 4 sets already now, but right now don't have any spare left. Too expensive buying it on ebay and amazon, as the shipping is as much as the price itself.

Because of that, I'm thinking about third party or fake tips. Do you think that will change the sound that much? I'm using it to edit videos sometimes, so I want to maintain accuracy if I can. I'm thinking about something like this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Large-Cl...-/321102460281?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

So, any of you have the experience using third party tips?

Thank you.

I can't comment on third party tips, but what you are experiencing is common. As the eartips absorb skin oils, they tend to stretch out and loosen up. We generally recommend they get replaced every 3 months or so, but it does vary a bit by user. If they are loose, I really would recommend changing them.

Jan 25, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #16,180 of 19,243
I can't comment on third party tips, but what you are experiencing is common. As the eartips absorb skin oils, they tend to stretch out and loosen up. We generally recommend they get replaced every 3 months or so, but it does vary a bit by user. If they are loose, I really would recommend changing them.

First off, thank you for your participation in this thread and the information you share! I've been using Etymotic IEMs for several years, starting with the HF series and now owning the ER4, ER3, and ER2 series. Nothing else I've used at any price, even above $1k, has been able to dethrone my ER4XR due to Etymotic's peerless tuning.

Is there any further technical detail you can share, either now or later post-release, about the interior design of the new multi-driver model? Some of the BA designs in units like Sony's IER-M9 and 64 Audio's have made for incredibly technically impressive sounding IEMs, even if their tuning hasn't been as on point as Etymotic's. Are the new Etymotics a heavily customized design, what do the internals look like?

In addition, for others reading this thread, please follow the advice to replace your triple flange tips periodically when you begin to notice them getting softer and easier to slip off the barrels, as I have more than once had to extract one from my ear canal with tweezers having used them too long without replacement.

Jan 25, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #16,181 of 19,243
In addition, for others reading this thread, please follow the advice to replace your triple flange tips periodically when you begin to notice them getting softer and easier to slip off the barrels, as I have more than once had to extract one from my ear canal with tweezers having used them too long without replacement.

I hate it when that happens. Generally as the silicone softens it can also create a less reliable seal too, so getting new tips could improve the sound quality. There are only a few IEMs in the past where I've had to periodically replace the silicone tips: Apple Dual Driver In Ear Monitors, Audeze iSine, and the Etymotic dual/triple flange tips (small size). The ADDIEM's tips always lodged themselves in deeper than the Etymotic tips did due to the shape of the tip.

Jan 26, 2021 at 2:36 AM Post #16,182 of 19,243
First off, thank you for your participation in this thread and the information you share! I've been using Etymotic IEMs for several years, starting with the HF series and now owning the ER4, ER3, and ER2 series. Nothing else I've used at any price, even above $1k, has been able to dethrone my ER4XR due to Etymotic's peerless tuning.

Is there any further technical detail you can share, either now or later post-release, about the interior design of the new multi-driver model? Some of the BA designs in units like Sony's IER-M9 and 64 Audio's have made for incredibly technically impressive sounding IEMs, even if their tuning hasn't been as on point as Etymotic's. Are the new Etymotics a heavily customized design, what do the internals look like?

Me hoping the new ety has the imaging and techs of M9 and the rest is just better tonality to my preference !

Jan 26, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #16,183 of 19,243
Me hoping the new ety has the imaging and techs of M9 and the rest is just better tonality to my preference !
That would be the dream! I’m just worried about how much it would cost 😭 As much as I love the tonality of my ER4XR, I’d find it really hard to pay more then $500 for something which sounds almost identical as the technicalities are so good as is.

Jan 26, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #16,184 of 19,243
That would be the dream! I’m just worried about how much it would cost 😭 As much as I love the tonality of my ER4XR, I’d find it really hard to pay more then $500 for something which sounds almost identical as the technicalities are so good as is.
Im hoping something midfi priced like the blessing 2 etc. If they charged higher, I'll think twice..

Jan 26, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #16,185 of 19,243
Hi, hmm I'm new here, so I hope I didn't do anything wrong.

Anyway, I've had my ER4B for two years now. However, I've been very concerned with the tips durability. Don't know why, only after around four to six months, the tri flange tips are already loose. I've used 4 sets already now, but right now don't have any spare left. Too expensive buying it on ebay and amazon, as the shipping is as much as the price itself.

Because of that, I'm thinking about third party or fake tips. Do you think that will change the sound that much? I'm using it to edit videos sometimes, so I want to maintain accuracy if I can. I'm thinking about something like this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Large-Cl...-/321102460281?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

So, any of you have the experience using third party tips?

Thank you.
For a while now, on this thread, I have been recommending the dual flange Future Sonics EarFills tips. I have been using them on my ER4-XR for years. Not only do I find them to be far more comfortable than the Etymotic triple flange tips, I have been using the exact same pair of tips for years, and they still function as well as the day I got them. They have also never once fallen off in my ears. I didn't notice any difference with accuracy between them and the Ety tips, and I am a professional mixing and mastering engineer, and I use these IEMs for serious mix checks. I also have needed to use either large, or XL, tips on virtually ever other IEM I have ever owned, yet for some reason, I get a perfect fit with the small size Earfills on my Etymotics. Hope that helps. This is the only link I know of to buy the tips:

https://www.mcssl.com/store/futuresonics/earfills0153-silicone-sleeves-small

Cheers
-TKB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back