If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 4, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #16,231 of 19,249
I was specifically talking about the TWS adapters that exist for MMCX connectors. Imagine using a cable with a memory wire (the type for CIEMs) but instead of it just being a thin rubber sheath with a paper clip, it’s a huge piece of plastic with a battery in it. Without a memory wire an Etymotic is very comfortable over the ear (I’ve done that). But if you get an CIEM cable and try it it’s not a pretty feeling.

True, although I I've also seen people doing it (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/if-...-thread-for-you.538615/page-973#post-15405931). Personally, I don't think it's comfortable either way, and would either use a short-ish Bluetooth necklace adapter cable unit or any Bluetooth receiver that's small enough and has got a good included shirt clip.

Feb 4, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #16,232 of 19,249
Feb 4, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #16,233 of 19,249
Hopefully the new multi-driver model comes with the dual flange tips, I've found them to be the most comfortable option with the small frosted tri-flange being a little too small and the clear large tri-flange being a little too large; the larges also don't feel as soft or as slick, much less comfortable than the smaller frosted despite sealing better.

This is just me being a consumerist idiot, but I'm also hoping the March release is early March, for I am not a patient man and I want new toys now.

Feb 4, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #16,234 of 19,249
Now this is a wicked combo. My first pair of etys and they're a keeper for sure - the ER2XR even gives my Mangird Teas a run for their money.

They blow away anything at £500 that dynamic based. Really love the bass level on them yet the lower mids aren't coloured from it, Total steal for £100. Still has the same detail/clarity as the ER4 just a different timbre from being dynamic based.

Feb 4, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #16,235 of 19,249
Can anyone comment on the sizing of the dual flange vs triple flange tips? I'm currently running the small frost triple flange tips, though I find the inner flange tickles my ear canal a bit too much after long periods of wear.

I don’t think that tickling ever really goes away. I’m running small dual-flange tips right now, but your sizing will differ since you have different ears. Etymotic do offer a bit of a fit kit (which includes 1 of each size) but I’m afraid there is going to be no equivalent 1-to-1 sizing for them since there are like 5 sizes for the dual-flange and 2-3 for the triple.
I am not sure what this 'tickling' should mean. I noticed a slight difference in my ear canal size, such that I could wear the small triple flange in one, but in the other it would loosen and break seal after I would guess some ~10 minutes. Maybe that shifting in your ear is what you meant?

The large triple flanges were at first a bit much, as they provide pressure to the tissue in the ear canal. I used double flanges for a while, but they are not as fixed in my ears, although that helps reducing cable noise when walking. However, now the triple flanges are perfectly comfortable for hours and hours. That said, the pressure is still there, but very little of it. Another thing is that the outer flanges have a kink (or very tight bend) after insertion, but that is something I don't experience in any way.

The isolation and seal of the triple flange has no equal, and as it is the tip intended, I assume stays as close to the original target sound as much possible. Interestingly, I found the double flanges to have a bit more bass, which was unwanted due to me choosing the ER4 XR :p

Most things become trial & error at some point, after all technical choices...

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #16,237 of 19,249
I don’t think that tickling ever really goes away. I’m running small dual-flange tips right now, but your sizing will differ since you have different ears. Etymotic do offer a bit of a fit kit (which includes 1 of each size) but I’m afraid there is going to be no equivalent 1-to-1 sizing for them since there are like 5 sizes for the dual-flange and 2-3 for the triple.
Thats a bummer :< I do wish Etymotic did a sampler that was just dual flange for not $30. Though its not too bad vs the normal cost of a set of 3 dual flanges I guess. I'll probably try cutting off the inner tip of a triple flange like someone suggested a while back to see how that works.

I am not sure what this 'tickling' should mean. I noticed a slight difference in my ear canal size, such that I could wear the small triple flange in one, but in the other it would loosen and break seal after I would guess some ~10 minutes. Maybe that shifting in your ear is what you meant?

The large triple flanges were at first a bit much, as they provide pressure to the tissue in the ear canal. I used double flanges for a while, but they are not as fixed in my ears, although that helps reducing cable noise when walking. However, now the triple flanges are perfectly comfortable for hours and hours. That said, the pressure is still there, but very little of it. Another thing is that the outer flanges have a kink (or very tight bend) after insertion, but that is something I don't experience in any way.

The isolation and seal of the triple flange has no equal, and as it is the tip intended, I assume stays as close to the original target sound as much possible. Interestingly, I found the double flanges to have a bit more bass, which was unwanted due to me choosing the ER4 XR :p

Most things become trial & error at some point, after all technical choices...
It literally makes the inside of my ear canal itch. Sounds a bit silly but its the main reason I don't use my Etymotics on the daily and often prefer normal mushroom tip IEMs. I dont think I have a seal issue as bass sounds fine and they make a unsealing "pop" sound when I pluck them out of my ears. Though now that you mention it, it could definitely be from shifting and the tip rubbing against my ear canal >_<

I'm surprised the double flanges have more bass. I always just assumed they'd sound the same as the triple flange.

Feb 4, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #16,238 of 19,249
Well hi there...Posted on Etymotic FB an hour ago:

We kept our ears to the internet and we heard what you wanted. We are happy to announce Etymotic’s launch into the multi-driver world. The Etymotic EVO has been in development for the last two years. We engineered a custom stainless steel housing that utilizes the Estron T2 connector system. Designed for supreme accuracy and ultimate durability.

Guess this earphone will deserve its own separate thread... we’re far from the original ER4 concept/legacy

D6F7EF79-E175-4CAA-BCC6-C052655B4215.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #16,239 of 19,249

If you have dry ears/dry ear wax, silicone tips can tend to make them itch.

"Decent" is a 'German' word I am not necessarily expecting here :p
If you want, you may give your two cents (please not 50) on it.

Decent as in I'm pretty happy with how they perform. I don't look too deeply into DACs/amps, so my experience with them isn't huge, so long as they're good enough, I'm typically happy. Etymotic's is pricey for what it is (though it looks like the price is a lot lower on Amazon now), but does support the majority of the codecs you'd want. I'm happy with it as it gives my ER4s the ability to run wirelessly.

Thats a bummer :< I do wish Etymotic did a sampler that was just dual flange for not $30. Though its not too bad vs the normal cost of a set of 3 dual flanges I guess. I'll probably try cutting off the inner tip of a triple flange like someone suggested a while back to see how that works.

Yeah, the price of their sampler kit is pretty high, and you don't use the majority of the tips.

Feb 4, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #16,240 of 19,249
They blow away anything at £500 that dynamic based. Really love the bass level on them yet the lower mids aren't coloured from it, Total steal for £100. Still has the same detail/clarity as the ER4 just a different timbre from being dynamic based.
You may be right about that. Would be interesting to see some comparisons with the Blessing2 Dusk.
etyvsmoondrop.PNG

Feb 4, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #16,242 of 19,249
I'm surprised the double flanges have more bass. I always just assumed they'd sound the same as the triple flange.
It is my ears; I cannot show you proper measurements, it may be that there is a tilt in the frequency spectrum. It may just be how they sit in my ears (more loose than the triple flange), so that it is somewhat muffled.

Feb 4, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #16,243 of 19,249
If you have dry ears/dry ear wax, silicone tips can tend to make them itch.

Decent as in I'm pretty happy with how they perform. I don't look too deeply into DACs/amps, so my experience with them isn't huge, so long as they're good enough, I'm typically happy. Etymotic's is pricey for what it is (though it looks like the price is a lot lower on Amazon now), but does support the majority of the codecs you'd want. I'm happy with it as it gives my ER4s the ability to run wirelessly.
It would seem I my ear wax isn't that dry, haha. Hmm I'll check next time I have an itchy ear canal.

DAC/amps I would guess ***should*** not make that much difference on a 45 ohm earphone. What good is an amp colouring the sound? I know some BT sets have pretty sad signal-to-noise-ratios, crosstalk and/or self-impedence; that is just pathetic when listening to HiFi.

How is the battery life and charging times on the Etymotion? They state 8 hours, which to my mind is just a bit low (I have days of listening 10 hours). Also, do/can you use it wired via USB for sound, I think not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back