If you like the HD598, you'll also like the _________.
Sep 9, 2011 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

franconero

Head-Fier
Pretty self explanatory, but just to be clear: I love my HD598, but I'm not done buying headphones if you know what I mean. I've come close to pulling the trigger on the HE-300, but I'm sort of bugged by the cable and the whole ear pad thing. I know that I could just move on up the Sennheiser line to the HD600 or HD650, but I wonder: maybe there's something out there, another line, maybe cheaper, maybe closed - who knows, that would in some way share some of the characteristics that I like about the HD598, but also manage to offer something slightly different and interesting. 

Sep 9, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #2 of 15
Grado
Beyer (certain models)
Shure
Denon (maybe)

I enjoyed the Shure 940 to accompany the HD598, but then the sound was the same, but the 940 was more analytical.

Try a Grado. Actually, try the Grado PS500 that just came out. Not a bad idea to me. Higher end grado's equal out more in the bass.

Also, don't buy a cheaper headphone then you already have, unless you want it because you do. It's best to upgrade.

What aspects of the HD598 did you like?

Sep 9, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #3 of 15
Heya,

Share what you like about the HD598, and what you don't like, so we can find something that has qualities you want. Otherwise, it's a blind crap shoot to just give you whatever we think is good that may or may not have anything to do with what you're looking.

Very best,

Sep 9, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #4 of 15
I'm still waiting on mine :frowning2: I order them couple days ago, and they are shipping from east coast...What amp are you using for the HD598? I had never drop this much on headphones, hoping this will be much better than my Sony MDR-EX57LP earbuds.

Sep 9, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #5 of 15
Thanks for responding. You know, as with wine, I haven't yet developed the vocabulary to describe, precisely, what it is that I like about sound. I can easier say what I don't think I want: I don't think I need a lot more bass than the HD598 offers. I do like the idea of soundstage and I can see that working in the HD598. I had, briefly, the Grado sr80i and liked them very much. I liked them so much that I wanted something even better, so I returned them and "upgraded" to the HD598.

I liked the sr80i, but the HD598 seem a little more sophisticated and are a little easier to listen to for a longer time and seem better suited across musical genre. The idea that the Shure's are more "analytical" is interesting, but I hear people around here talk about headphones being more "musical" or "colored" and it seems like maybe this is what I like about the HD598.

I suppose one way to buy another pair of headphones is to shoot for a sort of complete contrast to better understand the range of what's available - I mean, maybe I'd like the more analytical sound.

The Grado PS500 sounds interesting - I'll check them out.

I know that upgrading is probably best, but there is a lot of talk around here about cheaper headphones like the Superlux line that seem tempting. Since I've got a pair of headphones I like a lot, it's easier to rationalize spending less instead of more. I guess this is a budding obsession.

Sep 9, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BotByte /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I enjoyed the Shure 940 to accompany the HD598, but then the sound was the same, but the 940 was more analytical.

I'm curious, what do you mean? Less treble and more bass?

Also are the mids and imaging as good?

Sep 9, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
I'm curious, what do you mean? Less treble and more bass?

Also are the mids and imaging as good?

Shure was brighter and more analytical. Airy soundstage and more like a Grado

Mids are far more detailed and imaging was far more vivid

Quote:
Thanks for responding. You know, as with wine, I haven't yet developed the vocabulary to describe, precisely, what it is that I like about sound. I can easier say what I don't think I want: I don't think I need a lot more bass than the HD598 offers. I do like the idea of soundstage and I can see that working in the HD598. I had, briefly, the Grado sr80i and liked them very much. I liked them so much that I wanted something even better, so I returned them and "upgraded" to the HD598.

I liked the sr80i, but the HD598 seem a little more sophisticated and are a little easier to listen to for a longer time and seem better suited across musical genre. The idea that the Shure's are more "analytical" is interesting, but I hear people around here talk about headphones being more "musical" or "colored" and it seems like maybe this is what I like about the HD598.

I suppose one way to buy another pair of headphones is to shoot for a sort of complete contrast to better understand the range of what's available - I mean, maybe I'd like the more analytical sound.

I know that upgrading is probably best, but there is a lot of talk around here about cheaper headphones like the Superlux line that seem tempting. Since I've got a pair of headphones I like a lot, it's easier to rationalize spending less instead of more. I guess this is a budding obsession.

Analytical is the opposite to musical. Hd598 being musical.

Now if you understand your position in the the Audiophile world, then let me continue

I've been at the stage where I know where I'm at, I'm happy being at. Anything more would be a waste for what I use it for.

That said, you could get like a SR60i (more bass then SR80i) and mod it for fun.

Sep 9, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
Pretty self explanatory, but just to be clear: I love my HD598, but I'm not done buying headphones if you know what I mean. I've come close to pulling the trigger on the HE-300, but I'm sort of bugged by the cable and the whole ear pad thing. I know that I could just move on up the Sennheiser line to the HD600 or HD650, but I wonder: maybe there's something out there, another line, maybe cheaper, maybe closed - who knows, that would in some way share some of the characteristics that I like about the HD598, but also manage to offer something slightly different and interesting. 

Heya,

Pull the trigger on the HE-300.

If you don't do it now, you'll likely do it next.

Very best,

Sep 9, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #9 of 15
Malveaux - this is what makes this all sort of difficult right (at least for me)? As so many others, like yourself, are able to pretty precisely describe the characteristics of headphones and differences between them, it seem easier for someone less articulate (like me), to say "I like X headphone, what other headphones share a lot of those characteristics?" Maybe, after I buy or try a number of other headphones I'll be able to more precisely state my preferences, but for now I'm sort of relying on the more experienced/articulate.

After spending some time around here in the last month or so I've learned a lot. One thing that seems clear is that makes like Sennheiser, Grado, Beyer, etc. all deliver rather distinct  sound signatures. My appreciation of the HD598 must mark my tastes in some way - and serve as one kind of guide as per preferences.

Sep 9, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
Malveaux - this is what makes this all sort of difficult right (at least for me)? As so many others, like yourself, are able to pretty precisely describe the characteristics of headphones and differences between them, it seem easier for someone less articulate (like me), to say "I like X headphone, what other headphones share a lot of those characteristics?" Maybe, after I buy or try a number of other headphones I'll be able to more precisely state my preferences, but for now I'm sort of relying on the more experienced/articulate.

After spending some time around here in the last month or so I've learned a lot. One thing that seems clear is that makes like Sennheiser, Grado, Beyer, etc. all deliver rather distinct  sound signatures. My appreciation of the HD598 must mark my tastes in some way - and serve as one kind of guide as per preferences.

Heya,

You like the HD598. That means you'll love the HE-300. You just happened to mention it, first, and it actually is the headphone that should be recommended to you.

Very best,

Sep 9, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #12 of 15
Malveaux - I think your right re the reviews of the HE-300 and it's apparent affinity with some of the things I like about the HD598. That said, and not to hijack my own thread, but is it not weird that Hifiman's new model, upon release, has issues with the ear pads and the cable seems from another era? I get that their other products have been really well received, but the idea of having to buy $100+ cables and new ear pads upon purchase gives me pause.

I can't be alone in appreciating well-made things: do you think, stock, the HE-300 is a well-made thing?

Sep 9, 2011 at 4:27 AM Post #13 of 15
If you love the HD-598, try these:

K501 - Better and larger soundstage with more detail and more treble. Still a fairly smooth sound signature, but not as warm as the HD-598. I'd take the K501 over the HD-598 any day. IMO these are much more clear sounding than the HD-598 (even when recabled) and no it's not because of the extra treble! Feel like this is an upgrade from the HD-598! This thing even makes my K601 look bad.

Koss Pro DJ100 - OK, maybe not a close match, but these to me are just as musical as the HD-598. It's more detailed and often more clear (with pad upgrades) and has a more aggressive sound signature I think. It has even MORE forward mids and more bass, especially bass impact. The treble is slightly rolled off, but IMO with M50 pads it has more treble than the HD-598. These need a good amp and M50 pads to be at their best. Great for vocals just like the HD-598. These make the HD-598 sound rather dull in comparison, but I still love the HD-598. Too bad most pairs now sound bad out of the box until 3-5 days of burn-in. M50 pads are a MUST! It improves the soundstage and treble.

KRK KNS-6400 - I love the slightly forward mids on these. It has a similar signature to the HD-598, but with more treble and less bass impact (haven't compared them side by side though). The 6400 has better bass extension though. IMO these are much less forgiving of source quality than the HD-598 and have more detail too.

Sep 9, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #14 of 15
Koss PortaPro

Seriously, sounds pretty close.

$25 and will give you a good thrill for a while. Also good as a portable.

Nov 19, 2011 at 4:17 AM Post #15 of 15

Quote:

Check out the K701.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back