If you could only own ONE headphone forever, it would be _____?
Feb 6, 2010 at 9:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 195

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
If you could only own one headphone for the rest of eternity, which would it be....

When deciding your choice do NOT consider the following factors:

1. Portability (however if your favorite sounding headphone is a portable one, by all means you can choose it)
2. Price / rarity
3. How hard it is to drive
4. Whether it is opened or closed

What you SHOULD consider:
1. Sound quality
2. Durability
3. How it suits the genres you prefer

LASTLY, only mention a headphone you have heard.......you do not need to own the headphone to choose it though.

Feb 6, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #2 of 195
the Sennheiser 595 as it is easily driven and sounds freaking amazing, anything else worth mentioning will fail miserably without an amp unless its in ears.

Feb 6, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #3 of 195
Of the headphones had before and own now I'd probably take the 404LE. I'm not interested in 'stepping down' to dynamics. It's not totally revealing like the 4070 but still very detailed and a very natural (if not really neutral) sound. Much more forgiving too, you can actually listen to the not-so-perfectly-recorded rock music where the 4070 pushes the faults in your face.

If all recordings where good recordings I think the 4070 would be my choice though. There is something in it's ability to ruin music that also makes it an amazing headphone when the music is right.

^ I think it's about sound, not usability. If it is about instant usability I'd say ESW10's...

Feb 6, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #4 of 195
I would keep my Stax SR-007BL.
o2smile.gif

Since "how hard it is to drive" is not to be counted for it stand out as the clear winner for me.

Feb 6, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #13 of 195
I'm tempted to say Beyerdynamic T1 - but I haven't had it long enough to really make such a claim, in spite of thinking it's the best headphone I've ever heard.

So for now my answer is JVC DX1000.

And if open/closed had been allowed as a consideration factor, the DX1000 would have been my answer regardless - since I must first and foremost have a closed headphone.

Feb 6, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #14 of 195
Got to be HD600 for me.

Feb 6, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #15 of 195
Sony R10

the one and only make me shake my body and drowing into the music

Users who are viewing this thread

Back