IEMs with Maximum Isolation
Feb 17, 2009 at 2:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

CoderDude

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for some IEMs with maximum isolation. I have very sensitive hearing and work in a noisy office. For me, sound quality is a distant second behind maximum isolation. Price range is $200 and under.

Based on my research, it looks like the Etymotic er4 and hf5 provide the most isolation of any IEMs (listed as 35-42db). And the new ER4-17 "Glider" tips reportedly have the most isolation.

I'm currently using a pair of Sennheiser HD-280 closed-ear headphones, which are listed as having 32db of isolation. However, these are not sufficient for my environment. It reduces the outside noise, but I can still hear the murmur of people talking, etc. I'm hoping that IEMs will provide greater isolation.

1. Does anyone know of any IEMs with greater isolation than the Etymotic er4/hf5?

2. Is there any difference in isolation between the er4 and hf5?

3. When using the same tip, is there any difference in isolation between the er4/hf5 and the er6? The er6 is significantly cheaper, so if it provides the same isolation (with less sound quality), it would be fine for my needs. The Etymotic website lists the er6 as having lower isolation than the er4/hf5, but I don't understand why this would be the case if you are using the same tip.

Thanks in advance.

Feb 17, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #2 of 17
I believe after the Etys, the Shures are the next best known when it comes to isolation. With the Olives or silicon sleeves, they do give you excellent isolation. Westones I've heard mixed things about, but generally good. With brands like UE or Sennheiser it's typically not their forte so isolation wise I'd be wary of them.

Feb 17, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #3 of 17
I've always questioned the Etymotic noise reduction specs. I don't think the specs specifically say they are using the NRR ratings for the ER4. On their web page for the Ety musician's earplugs, they have this statement:

"The EPA requires manufacturers to print a noise reduction rating (NRR) on all non-custom earplugs. The NRR for ER•20s is 12 dB, but actual clinical measurements of properly inserted ER•20s indicate that these earplugs provide almost equal sound reduction (20 dB) at all frequencies in real ears. The required formula used to determine NRR includes an adjustment for individual variability and for those persons who do not wear ear protection as instructed. Many investigators have found no consistent rank order correlation between the real-world NRRs and labeled NRRs. NRR is computed from laboratory data that are not representative of the values attained in the real world by actual users."

What they say might be true, but IMHO not using the NRR spec means comparing the specs of different mfrs is even more meaningless than whatever problems are inherent in the NRR methodology.

IMHO, that puts the isolation specs for the ER-4 in a different light, and perhaps explains why other mfrs that DO use NRR ratings seem to have lower specs. For example:
Comply Foam - Comply NR-10 High-Tech Noise Reduction Earphones

The bottom line is that although I agree the ER-4 has excellent isolation, I very much doubt the ER-4 could have more isolation than the highest rated earplugs - and those have an NRR rating of 33.
Foam Ear Plug Trial Packs<br><font size="2">Choose from three different packs! Find the best foam ear plugs for your application.</font> - Moldex Meteors Undercut Design UF Foam Ear Plugs (NRR 33)!

As a side note, here's a fairly interesting experiment on active vs passive noise reduction done at Virginia Tech:
http://www.shure.com/stellent/groups..._iso_study.pdf

Feb 17, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #4 of 17
As owner of Ety, Shure, Westone, plus a few others, I can say in honesty that Ety is by far the best isolating brand of IEM I have ever tried (in general, of course) . Westone and Shure in various models (i.e. SE530, UM2) come very close, but Ety is still king of isolation.

BTW, IEM are not earplug thus there is no federal regulation. Most IEM companies do their own measurement on isolating factor than verifies the result with third party. If an old timer like Ety want to play trick on spec, I would think they won't even bother to tell you that those EPA NRR calculation are outdated and not meant to be used for musician earplug (where freq. resp. should be as flat as possible, unlike earplug that meant to block as much sound as possible).

Feb 17, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #7 of 17
another vote for ER4 if you can handle the SQ (not a big fan me) but yeah my SE530 were pretty darn good too. opf course the W3 with UM56 custom tips has overtaken them. roll on E$S3X customs here I come.

Feb 17, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #8 of 17
I can vouch for the Shure 530's. Very good isolation.

Feb 18, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #9 of 17
Thanks for all the responses. Based on the feedback in this thread and others, I've decided to go with one of the Etymotic models. I'm between the 6i and hf5. The 6i are cheaper, but the hf5 supposedly has better sound quality, better build quality, and slightly better isolation.

I'm currently leaning towards the hf5 but am going to think about it a few more days. I wish I could have gotten the hf5 when they were $99!

Feb 18, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #10 of 17
I think I may know why the er6i is reported to have slightly lower isolation level than the er4/hf5. According to these posts, the er6i has a small port in the body of the earphone. I suspect this port transmits a small amount of external noise into the ear.

Feb 19, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #11 of 17
just got the 530s, have to say, very good isolation indeed.

Can almost NOT hear myself talk.

Feb 27, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #12 of 17
I have only tried (and owned) the ER6i and ER6. For me ER6i had much better isolation then ER6. I used the tri flange on the ER6i and bi flange on ER6, so that could be the answer right there.

For comparison, I couldn't hear a normal level conversation with tri flange ER6i and I can hear a conversation with ER6 bi flanges.

Mar 3, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #14 of 17
I received my HF5 a few days ago, and I'm quite happy with them. The included foam tips provide incredible isolation, bad microphonics, and moderate comfort. The tri-flange provide less isolation, less microphonics, and more comfort. I'm getting the "glider" tips in a few days and will see how these compare. So far, I like the foam tips the best for their high level of isolation.

The sound quality is a vast improvement over my cheap Sony IEMs, and I prefer it to my Sennheiser HD280s as well.

Mar 3, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zalithian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My old ER-6's were definitely the best isolating IEMS I've used.

Same here. My ER6's were comfortable and had great isolation. I could barely hear the engine of the bus, with the music turned off. Whereas, with the CX500, the engine noise is easily heard without music turned on.

However, I am comparing an IEM to a canalphone and have never tried Shures or Westones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back