IEMs Matching Denon AH-D2000 Sound Signature
Sep 27, 2011 at 5:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

esaleris

New Head-Fier
Hi all:

I'm looking for an IEM. I've read a lot of the multi-IEM posts which have been very helpful, but I haven't been able to decide what I want, because my target isn't exactly a super-neutral sound signature.

Target Sound Signature. I have a pair of stock Denon AH-D2000 and I think they're great and am targeting that sound signature. Treble extension is nice, bass is reasonable and not overwhelming, mids are pleasant to me. I think they run warm for most, but they sound nice to me. And they're comfy.

Please note: I listen at fairly low volumes, so I've never thought the bass was too much, which runs counter to the common opinion on these boards. Simply put, this is the sound I'm looking for.

IEMs Tried.
  • I have the Sennheiser MM70is. They are absolutely horrible and I think of them as a horrible retail decision. The only reason I still have them is because they serve as my iPhone headset.
  • I bought the Bowers & Wilkins C5s. The mid-bass was overhwelming and unbalanced. I liked the treble but that "v" sound signature was unbearable.

IEMs Considered.
  • Based on the reviews, I feel like I would like the Audio-Technica ATH-CK10s might be the ticket. I almost ordered them last night, but realized that they might be "too balanced" for what I'm looking for. But I'm not looking for a "v" either; keep in mind I really disliked the B&W C5s too, with its super-heavy bass curve.
  • So maybe the Audio-Technica ATH-CKM99s are more my ticket? Thoughts?

Music. I listen to a lot of indie rock and pop. Ironic because the production quality on some of that stuff is awful. A decent amount of vocal jazz and random pop. Classical.

Budget. If I can get what I am want, I'm willing to spend up to $400 USD.

Thanks in advance all. This is my first time on this forum and I'm confident the headgear geeks are gonna reco something I'll really like.

Saleris

Oct 5, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #5 of 9
+1 for the GR07. I've recently started listening to artists like Adele, James Morrison, Ingrid Michaelson, Gavin Degraw, etc. The GR07 really brings out the emotional message in the music. For instance, listening to 'Make You Feel My Love' from Adele's '19' album in a dark quiet room allows you to feel her pain.

And if you ever decide to switch up genres, the GR07 will be able to handle whatever you throw at it. You can my read my sort-of-review for more info
http://www.head-fi.org/t/572175/vsonic-gr07-perfection

Oct 5, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #7 of 9
Most of the reviews state that isolation is pretty mediocre in the FX700s though.  Any other options?  I'm seriously considering the Vsonic GR07 or the Audio-Technica CK10s.

I might buy both and start reviewing them in my own way as well!  Haha...

Jan 25, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #9 of 9
+100 on FX700

never had denon d2k, but had d7000's

fx700...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back