IEMs for low volume listening with great subbass presence under $150??
Jul 6, 2011 at 5:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

redwarrior191

100+ Head-Fier
hey all, i am looking for a pair of iem wich has great subbass presence. I currently have a pair of hd598 and i find that the bass is lacking for certain songs. So I would like to buy IEM which could give me a different presentation and has great low end extension. I've done my research and these are my alternatives:

1. Denon ah c710 >> looks like one of the better alternatives out there
2. ne-700m >> excellent for the price, but some say the bass bleeds to the midrange
3. se215 >> so many good impressions lately, but it seems that bass extension is not that good (mid bass oriented)
4. beyer dtx101e >> not many info on this, but ljokerl rated these iem highly
5. brainwavz m3 >> from what i read, this is an excellent fun iem for the price, but maybe doesnt have that good subbass??
6. pfe perfect bass >> also looks like one of the best options i might have
7. ue700 >> i'm reading mixed reviews on this...so i dont know.. the bass seems great though
8. jvc ha-fx500 >> i'm not sure i can get this one under $150 in my country, but it seems that this one will blow the other options out of the water..

i can't find sunrise, fischers, or meelecs in my country..but if you have other suggestions i am welcome..
so, what are your opinions? what i want basically is a fun sounding IEM with great bass that extends deep into subbass territory.. i'm not really concerned about details because i will mainly use them in the subway or on the move.. also, i'm a low volume listener, if that matters a lot..

thanks in advance, and sorry for my poor english

Jul 6, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #2 of 18
Hippo VB + Digizoid ZO. 
bigsmile_face.gif
 More bass than any sane man can handle without sacrificing too much sq. 

Jul 6, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #4 of 18
I've owned the PFE and M3 and they're both without sub-bass emphasis. The Brainwavz M2 do better in this regard. Those are pretty warm, fun and bassy and I kept them over the M3. I now use the M2 for electronic music exclusively. 

For visceral bass, I think a headphone will offer more impact than an in-ear monitor. The XB700 still melts my braincells every time I crank it up. 

What country are you in? You can, for example, order the Fischer Audio Eterna V1 online. 

Jul 6, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #5 of 18
i'm in hong kong.. btw, i'm not really searching for any bass cracking set of cans or iems.. all i want is to have an iem that could give me a different presentation to my hd598, especially in the bass (and especially subbass) department.. i'm not going to buy another headphone (for now and the near future, at least.. :p ), i found my 598 to be perfect for almost every situation.. i just need a pair of iem that i could use on the go, and i want it to be different from my fullsize headphones..

thanks negakinu for your response..so maybe i'll omit the pfe and the m3 from my list.. where can i order the fischers online?? i read they are also good, probably i'll consider them..

Jul 6, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #6 of 18
FX500s have a HippoVB like sub-bass, maybe even better. They are great for low level listening as well so it looks to be what you're looking for

Jul 6, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #7 of 18

Quote:
FX500s have a HippoVB like sub-bass, maybe even better. They are great for low level listening as well so it looks to be what you're looking for

thanks Inks.. do you have any suggestions on where to buy these online?? i'm having difficulties looking for it in hong kong.. but there are abundance of fx700 here, lol..

Jul 6, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #9 of 18
Can you get the Vsonic GR07? It will be at the top end or slightly higher for your price range but they have very good sub bass without the typical midbass boost. They also happen to be a very nice low volume IEM and even though you mention detail as not being important will also gibe you that when you have the right environment and circumstances to enjoy it.

Jul 6, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #10 of 18
GR07s are actually generally better on mid to higher volume levels, though low levels are still competent. The FX500s are more in their niche at that level though and the subbass blows away the GR07 despite also having a competent subbass. I'll even recommend the VB and HJE900 over the GR07 for the OP's needs, though those are hard to get nowadays. 

Jul 6, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #11 of 18
GR07s are actually generally better on mid to higher volume levels, though low levels are still competent. The FX500s are more in their niche at that level though and the subbass blows away the GR07 despite also having a competent subbass. I'll even recommend the VB and HJE900 over the GR07 for the OP's needs, though those are hard to get nowadays. 

I definitely agree that the GR07's are best somewhere between middle and high volumes. Too low and you're searching for details in the mids and missing out on the delicate midbass kicks. Too high and soundstage depth is flattened hurting instrument separation. There really is a sweet spot in the upper middle volume range.

Having used the HJE900's on the subway for over a year, I would say they are pretty poor at low volume due to the low isolation. I was always turning them up to unsafe volumes to get good stuff out of them. If the FX500's can cut through exterior noise at low volume then I'd recommend those over the Panasonics given how highly Inks regards them.

Jul 7, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #12 of 18
Well generally if the outside noises are loud low volume levels aren't even possible to enjoy, unless you get ER4p isolation. HJEs with a really deep insertion actually isolate quite well but a SA6 cable is kind of needed.

Having said that the FX500s won't do quite well on a noisy subway as isolation is average. ...

Jul 7, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #13 of 18
hmm..its now a difficult choice then.. will the isolation improve if i change it with some other tips??

@dweaver, thanks for your suggestion.. the gr07 and hje900 is almost $200 in some of the local shops here, unfortunately.. i see you also have some experience with se215?? how is the bass extension and isolation on those?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back